PDA

View Full Version : Marlin vs. Burnet early observations

beefy
09-17-2003, 09:49 AM
I give the early nod to Burnet in this one, but not without reservation. The Burnet d-line is a bit banged up and I have heard rumors that the o-line is as well. Shipley has been playing with a bum shoulder since the second scrimmage. They could be prime for an upset if Marlin is healthy.

Marlin is banged up as well, but not to the extreme Burnet is. The tankster is out for a while but don't be surprised to see him suited up for the week 4 matchup. #4 is a stud. He rolled his ankle last week, but I assume he will be ready to go.

Burnet offense vs Marlin defense:
Burnet has alot of weapons and are very tough to stop completely. The x factor here is the speed of the Marlin defenders. Last year Marlin forced Burnet into a two tight end set to move the ball. The weight room won that game for the green dogs. If Burnet can have success in their spread offense then Marlin is in trouble. If Marlin can contain the spread and force Burnet into a ground game then they will have a shot at the upset.

Marlin offense vs Burnet Defense:
This will be what I watch when these two teams match up. Burnet will need to stop the Marlin boys atleast 50% of their possessions for the green dogs to prevail. If that doesn't happen it could be a very close game.

Just a few thoughts to mull over. I know Marlin has lost their last two games, however they were both to 4a schools and both were very close. Burnet has yet to be challenged. It will be interesting to see how they react to adversity that will surely present itself when these two teams meet.

cunbed10
09-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Beefy you are wise beyond your years, you may need to be on the board of football education, because you know as well as I do, their are some football folk on this board that does'nt have a clue.

beefy
09-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Stop you're making me blush.

Ozzy
09-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Well now, I think last year's overtime game was a fluke. Burnet played one of their poorer games of the year offensively, while Marlin played much better than they had been. I look for Burnet to be full strength next Friday. Marlin has to travel to Burnet, a place that very few teams leave feeling good about their performance. Look for Burnet to roll in this one.

wink

Matthew328
09-17-2003, 01:31 PM
If Marlin is healthy they'll give Burnet all they want...however if they are as banged up as they are at the moment Burnet wins going away...BUT if I was a Burnet fan and I saw that Tank Smith and D'Nerian Wrighter were suited up next Friday and playing..I'd be worried..think about how much of a lift it would give Marlin to know they FINALLY are at full speed.....

PAINTBALL
09-17-2003, 07:48 PM
Last year Marlin put pressure on McGee with 3 down linemen. This was a rude wakeup call for the offense line. I have a hard time believing this will happen to this year's offensive line.

HotDawg89
09-17-2003, 08:29 PM
As a general rule, I hope for the best, and expect the worst. I just don't see Burnet losing this game though.

I do think that Burnet will see a stout, smart team in Marlin, and that Marlin will give Burnet the best competition thus far without a doubt.

Shipley's shoulder problem isn't going anywhere- but it isn't that bad of a problem. From what I understand, the doctor said he couldn't damage it any further by playing with it now, so there is no reason to worry. It hasn't stopped him so far has it? And we have two other minor injuries that were sustained during our game with a really ticked off Gatesville. There isn't a reason for those guys to come out yet and play- we did well last week without them, and we might as well let them have some healing time this weekend against MC. I'd be willing to bet they are there for Marlin.

Personally, I hope Tank does play, as well as the other guy who is hurt. It will show everyone what Burnet can do. Marlin may have played some tough schools, but is isn't as if Burnet hasn't tried. We've played two 4A schools as well as Gatesville. . . everyone's schedule always seems to have been tougher then Burnet's when they are stacked up to play Burnet the next week. Interesting how that happens.

Matthew328
09-17-2003, 08:48 PM
Sometimes the schedules don't always work out...who woulda thought Reagan would be as bad as they are??? LOL

HotDawg89
09-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Matthew328:
Sometimes the schedules don't always work out...who woulda thought Reagan would be as bad as they are??? LOLNO joke! What was that about? They were heavily favored to win their district, and I thought they had a good chance of beating Burnet! At first, I honestly thought Burnet was just that good...then Reagan went on to lose again, badly. It became obvious at that point.

But no one can argue Gatesville's talent. They have a tremendous program- even if thier tactics were/are questionalbe.

espn1
09-17-2003, 09:43 PM
I thought Tank had surgery this week?

cunbed10
09-18-2003, 08:38 AM
espn1:
I thought Tank had surgery this week?Worked out with a couple of freshman, and Tank yesterday, and Tank is under the impressison that he will be playing agianst Ennis, but if I was coaching, he wouldn't play until Oct10,2003,Tank's a strong kid, but he wasn't even on crutches yesterday, and that could come back and hunt him if he rushes back too soon.

Pandora
09-18-2003, 01:21 PM
cunbed10:

espn1:
I thought Tank had surgery this week?Worked out with a couple of freshman, and Tank yesterday, and Tank is under the impressison that he will be playing agianst Ennis, but if I was coaching, he wouldn't play until Oct10,2003,Tank's a strong kid, but he wasn't even on crutches yesterday, and that could come back and hunt him if he rushes back too soon.I agree with you 100%, Tank should stay out until the 10th. There is no use in him risking further injury and the possibility that he would be out for the rest of the season. As far as Shipley’s shoulder “injury” I haven’t seen any evidence of it in the film that I have watched, and he never even removed his shoulder pads to ice it down in the one game I got to go to. I have a feeling that this could some carefully engineered disinformation coming from the Burnet fans, just like his fractured foot last year before Burnet played Sinton. As with everything that comes out of Burnet, this too must be taken with a grain of salt. Best of luck to both teams, I am just sorry that I have to miss it.

HotDawg89
09-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Pandora:
"As far as Shipley’s shoulder “injury” I haven’t seen any evidence of it in the film that I have watched, and he never even removed his shoulder pads to ice it down in the one game I got to go to. I have a feeling that this could some carefully engineered disinformation coming from the Burnet fans, just like his fractured foot last year before Burnet played Sinton. As with everything that comes out of Burnet, this too must be taken with a grain of salt. Best of luck to both teams, I am just sorry that I have to miss it."

The quote thing didn't work out for me. Anyway...
Yeah, it's pretty much all a big conspiracy with us Burnet people. We just get together and try to make everyone think we have injuries that we don't have. :rolleyes:

<small>[ September 18, 2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

jason
09-18-2003, 03:22 PM
I get to go to this game....im so excited...

Bandera YaYa
09-18-2003, 06:56 PM
I think that Burnet will win.....maybe next week Marlin! :D