PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson's Passion

crzyjournalist03
02-26-2004, 05:31 PM
I went to see this movie yesterday, and I have to say, it really touched me. I think that it's a movie that everyone should see...it's difficult to watch at some times, but is extrememly powerful...After the movie, nobody moved until the credits had finished rolling...the movie awes the audience like nothing that I have ever seen before. Everything in the movie was realistic...the character of Satan was the eeriest and most realistic portrayal I have ever seen. I know that there has been a lot of controversy surrounding this film, but after seeing it, I really can't understand where the controversy is coming from...a great job by Mel Gibson. He stuck to the storyline almost perfectly.

Has anybody else seen it yet? Let me know your thoughts!

CHS_Grad '85
02-26-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm waiting to go on the weekend... promised my in-laws that I would take them... but my sister went yesterday... her reaction was the same... very powerful and moving... she also recommended a box of Kleenex....

Ranger Mom
02-26-2004, 05:43 PM
I can't wait to see it. I checked yesterday for tickets....they are sold out here for the next 2 weeks.

I am always a day late and a dollar short.

20dawgz05
02-26-2004, 05:47 PM
i think u about summed it all up.... i really liked how they made satan look... he wasnt all red and he didnt have horns.... IF U HAVENT SEEN IT STOP READING NOW!!!... if u did see it umm did anybody understand why satan had the little minnie me baby??

SintonFan
02-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Me and the Mrs. are going to try to see it this weekend.

Old Tiger
02-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Isn't this the movie that is in another language.

slpybear the bullfan
02-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Aramaic, Hebrew, and Latin.

onfirebball05mustang
02-26-2004, 09:40 PM
20dawgz05:
did anybody understand why satan had the little minnie me baby??I have not seen it, but from what I know he was mocking mary and child (jesus) It is a very powerful representation and it can depict (the english nerd in me coming out) how one small event can change a person's life, or the fate of the world. Interesting, but that's just my opinion from what i've read/heard!

20dawgz05
02-26-2004, 10:22 PM
onfirebball05mustang:

20dawgz05:
did anybody understand why satan had the little minnie me baby??I have not seen it, but from what I know he was mocking mary and child (jesus) It is a very powerful representation and it can depict (the english nerd in me coming out) how one small event can change a person's life, or the fate of the world. Interesting, but that's just my opinion from what i've read/heard!ok yeah i was thinkin that... b/c the baby like had the same scars and all that

Bull's-eye
02-27-2004, 01:05 AM
I just finished seeing the movie. "Passion" shows the crucifixion of Jesus. Seeing this, really seems to sink in more than just reading about it. Crzyjournalist03's post describes my views and feelings exactly.

<small>[ February 27, 2004, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Bull's-eye ]</small>

GUNHO
02-27-2004, 08:45 AM
There would be no controversy if the media would not have put so much spin in areas that mean nothing.These people are missing the big picture.It's not about who actually crucified Jesus,but why did he have to die to start with."FOR ALL HAVE SINNED AND COME SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD.He died for all sinners and that makes all of us guilty of his death.Some say it's to bloody.I say to many preachers have sugar coated what Jesus went through.My hats off to Mel Gibson for having the courage to show it.Just my.02 cents.

Rabbit'93
02-27-2004, 11:50 AM
My only fear is that every one is putting too much stock into this MOVIE. This is not the scipture and many people could mistake this for gospel. This is Gibson's point of view and should be taken as that.

As far as the "controversy". I believe that it was all started by some PR person to create interest in the movie. I began to hear about this movie long before the release and if it wasn't for all the talk this movie would just be another movie.

crimson blood
02-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Rabbit'93:
My only fear is that every one is putting too much stock into this MOVIE. This is not the scipture and many people could mistake this for gospel. This is Gibson's point of view and should be taken as that.

As far as the "controversy". I believe that it was all started by some PR person to create interest in the movie. I began to hear about this movie long before the release and if it wasn't for all the talk this movie would just be another movie.few people have ever read "the scripture" and even fewer will unless prompted. every gospel message preached from the pulpits of this life are that particular preacher's interpretation. the difference is that gibson put millions of $ into the presentation of his interpretation. is he a preacher?... in a sense, yes. is he an ordained minister? i don't think so but that does not negate his right and possibly obligation to show his interpretation of the gospel.

AggieJohn
02-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Rabbit'93:

As far as the "controversy". I believe that it was all started by some PR person to create interest in the movie. I began to hear about this movie long before the release and if it wasn't for all the talk this movie would just be another movie.i think your right, i mean i saw the movie opening day and loved it myself, but in fact, it did get a good PR. A movie about 3 months ago was released, entitled the Gospel of John, and from what i hear it is very scripturly accurate and very well done, but it didn't get the hype because mel gibsondidn't produce it...ya know

GUNHO
02-27-2004, 12:44 PM
I have not seen the movie yet,but it is my understanding that it was made from the gospel of John.Rabbit are you saying he did not follow it or that you don't belive the gospel of John.All I have talked with have said nothing about it not being correct with the gospel? Just wondering.

AggieJohn
02-27-2004, 01:25 PM
GUNHO:
I have not seen the movie yet,but it is my understanding that it was made from the gospel of John.Rabbit are you saying he did not follow it or that you don't belive the gospel of John.All I have talked with have said nothing about it not being correct with the gospel? Just wondering.the movies was based a book that mel read that was written in the 1700's entitled "the dolorous passion of the christ" that book was based of couse on the four gospels

crimson blood
02-27-2004, 02:14 PM
explayer2001
i think your right, i mean i saw the movie opening day and loved it myself, but in fact, it did get a good PR. A movie about 3 months ago was released, entitled the Gospel of John, and from what i hear it is very scripturly accurate and very well done, but it didn't get the hype because mel gibsondidn't produce it...ya know[/QB][/QUOTE]

i think this is very understandable. stephen spielberg produces a film versus the kid next door shoots a home video and the press (and expectations) are vastly different regardless of how really 'good' either is. similarly, td jakes preaches or your local pastor speaks on the same subject and the effects may be drastically different. :rolleyes: rightly or wrongly expectations are higher from those more famous. also expectations will often determine our final judgment of an event. :)

GUNHO
02-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the info explayer I was not aware of that.

Bandera YaYa
02-28-2004, 01:12 AM
I plan on seeing it. I think anything that will get the masses to see a movie based on the bible is alright in my book! I comment Gibson on having the courage to put on the screen what he believes. "Go tell it on the mountain..."..

SintonFan
02-29-2004, 02:46 AM
crzyjournalist03:
I went to see this movie yesterday, and I have to say, it really touched me. I think that it's a movie that everyone should see...it's difficult to watch at some times, but is extrememly powerful...After the movie, nobody moved until the credits had finished rolling...the movie awes the audience like nothing that I have ever seen before. Everything in the movie was realistic...the character of Satan was the eeriest and most realistic portrayal I have ever seen. I know that there has been a lot of controversy surrounding this film, but after seeing it, I really can't understand where the controversy is coming from...a great job by Mel Gibson. He stuck to the storyline almost perfectly.

Has anybody else seen it yet? Let me know your thoughts!.
My wife and I saw it Saturday. I agree with your assessment crzy.
Let me also add that this movie moved me in ways I've never been moved before. Grown men will cry in this one with no shame. There was a stretch of the film where I couldn't sit very still. If anyone hasn't seen it yet, go see the movie and you'll see what I'm talking about.
From everything I understood about the gospels, this is a very accurate portrayal of them.
A couple of times I even found myself saying parts of The Profession of Faith in my mind.
This movie is extremely powerful. I won't take my nine and six year old children. Maybe when my son is twelve or so I would consider it(only if he's way more mature then.)
Overall, the depth of love from Christ represented in this movie was overpowering. I better get to church early Sunday because there will be a few more folks there, I'm sure.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-29-2004, 02:09 PM
........will be his downfall. LOL

AggieJohn
02-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Jay Leno said the other night his jokes that:

The AP was screaming because JESUS dies in the end! I mean what is up with that....

Their thinking of making a book because of this movie...

FUNNY STUFF

SintonFan
02-29-2004, 09:15 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
........will be his downfall. LOL.
????
Me getting to church early? :( Explain.....

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-29-2004, 10:39 PM
SintonFan:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:
........will be his downfall. LOL.
????
Me getting to church early? :( Explain.....Sorry for the confusion.....use the name of the thread, then use "will be his downfall"

JaSpErBuLLdOgDrUmMeRGaL06
02-29-2004, 11:28 PM
I went with my mother and grandmother to see that movie this evening, and I thought it was a great movie! It represented the things that happened in the Bible very well in the movie, and I enjoyed it very much! It's a must see I think. :)

spiveyrat
03-01-2004, 01:17 PM
explayer2001:
Their thinking of making a book because of this movie...
I talked with a priest this weekend and asked him if he had seen the movie. He replied that he didn't need to, he had already read the book! :D

toby070
03-01-2004, 10:52 PM
I work at a Baptist boarding school, and we took most of our students to see the movie. I have NEVER seen 150+ of our kids as collectively silent as they were at the end of this movie...it was really awesome.

BTW, I'm an older married guy who doesn't have to be a toughguy to impress anyone now, but if you are a Christian, I'd be very surprised if you can watch the whole thing without crying. Don't take a date unless you are willing to have your sensitive side exposed :D

AggieJohn
03-01-2004, 11:21 PM
that's okay toby....i took my mom :)

crzyjournalist03
03-02-2004, 04:29 PM
explayer2001:
that's okay toby....i took my mom :) who cried more??? :D

Bellville22
03-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Saw the movie last night and was blown away. I've experienced nothing in my life like those two hours in that theater last night. If you remember that "Wow" feeling you got after walking out of the theater seeing Schindler's List, this is 100 times that. I was simply exhausted.

The scene near the end when Mary is holding lifeless body of Jesus in her arms and stares into the camera as it fades to black is one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen in a movie. All you could hear was people crying and breathing heavy as the silent scene faded to black.

It's gory, but everyone should experience this movie.

Wildcat81
03-06-2004, 01:43 PM
I haven't seen the movie.But have done a little research on Crucifixion it blow your mind that someone can go though that.

jason
03-06-2004, 03:18 PM
crzyjournalist03:

explayer2001:
that's okay toby....i took my mom :) who cried more??? :D im thinkin he did if the only chick that will go to the movies with him is his mom