PDA

View Full Version : TIFT (Texas Int'l Fishing Tournament) For the fishermen/women of the DownLow

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-16-2003, 10:56 PM
http://www.tift.org/

For any of the downlow members who would like to get in some great fishing right before the 2003 football season starts, this would be the best place to do it while enjoying the finest the Port Isabel/South Padre Island area has to offer.

Please check out the above website for more information on the tournament itself.

I will be participating in the bay division of the tournament. I hope i'm not the only member of the downlow fishing in the tournament. I'd love to see y'all there.....maybe even have dinner one night at my favorite restaurant on the island....Blackbeard's.

Gobbla2001
07-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Is that Blackbeard's in PI related to the one in CC?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-18-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure. I wasn't aware of the one in CC. By the way, good tip for catching specks. If i'm ever in Rockport, i'd give it a try.

Maybe you should go down to Port Isabel and try your luck in the tournament.

sinton66
07-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Helps a BUNCH if your white worm has a red end on it! wink

<small>[ July 18, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Well, i'll be using a castnet to get myself some live mullet to use as bait. I never particularly cared for artificial lures.

sinton66
07-18-2003, 09:46 PM
I have used both artificial and live bait. One thing I've learned about fishing, if they're biting, either will work just fine.

Gobbla2001
07-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Maybe the red tail does work better, but I won't take any chances, stickin' to white, heh...

At this peir you pretty much have to go artificial... Your live bait will die because the waves are kinda big and it's not 'too' deep, so your bait gets tossed around... Also, if you use anything like shrimp or squid, the perch will tear it us... Arty just floats across the top of the water, and 'bam'...

sinton66
07-19-2003, 11:01 PM
I was going to say the most I ever caught on live bait was hardheads. Spec rigs work well in the coastal bend. Sometimes you can get them two at a time if they're biting real well. I'm a night fisherman myself, never had much luck during the day. I prefer catching bull reds though.

<small>[ July 19, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>