PDA

View Full Version : The Great Unpredictable Appeal of High School Football

Pudlugger
11-07-2002, 09:28 AM
Isn't it wonderful how each week the Friday scores come in late and lo' and behold the "Greatest Unbeatable Team Ever" gets beaten by the little noticed "Poo Bears"? For example, Ennis was just unbelievably good, ranked nationally among all clases, two championship rings, 35 wins straight. And what happened? Little 3a Marlin waddled in to their house on homecoming and kicked butt to win the biggest upset in "Texas 3A History". And how 'bout them Strake Jesuits! A team beaten this year by Sweeney goes and beats the "Greatest 3a That Was Once 4a Football Team Ever" Jasper! One reason I enjoy this board so much is the way fans boast about how their team is so good they will destroy the opponent, then after the upset I get a kick out of reading their excuses (if they have the stones to get back on the board to post one). Sometimes it is downright hysterical: "The field was muddy!" (presumably only on their side though) or "The offense had a bad night." (perhaps the opponents DE imprinting his numbers on the Qbs helmet all night had something to do with it!) The team was "looking ahead to the big game next week!" (as if you can think about next week, or any other thing, when some huge DT is kicking your butt all night long!)
So what is my point? Footballs are not round for a reason, it makes their roll unpredictable, and hence, more interesting. No team has a lock on the outcome. Bring on the competition and let the games begin. :) :) :)