PDA

View Full Version : Football Game Programs ???

3afan
07-13-2003, 10:34 AM
what type of information do you like to see in a game program beside both teams' rosters? if there were up to date stats, standings, etc. in the program each week would you be more willing to purchase one each week? lets hear those opinions ......

Keith7
07-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Cheerleader pictures

3afan
07-13-2003, 11:41 AM
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze

sinton66
07-13-2003, 11:49 AM
District standings and such are relatively generic, and usually well known. The info that would generate more sales would have to be of the "insider" variety, and I doubt the opposing coaches would give much of that info prior to a game. Perhaps it could be done for playoff games, but I kinda doubt it.

mustang04
07-13-2003, 12:06 PM
i think my parents would enjoy the programs more if they had information about our previous game, say like when we play Denver City the second district game...they could put an article about our game the week before which would be snyder, that way they get an idea who's starting to step up, but not too much info about the individual players....i dunno just a suggestion :rolleyes:

wildstangs
07-13-2003, 12:36 PM
I work for a place here in Abilene that makes one of the local schools football programs. The problem with having up to date information every week is cost and work. We print up every page at the beginning, except for the middle page which has the rosters. They are printed the week of the game in adition to the covers. That is the main reason there isn't much new information such as standings, etc in the books. If some team wanted all that info., there would be huge costs for typsetting, printing and all the other hassles!

Chief Woodman
07-13-2003, 04:44 PM
In Decatur we also pre print almost everything prior to the season (cost effective). Each week we print the middle pages that have rosters, but we include one additional piece of info. The coaching staff puts out a scouting report on the team we are about to play. It gives the fans in the stands a heads up on what to expect (lots of passing, running, how good the defence is etc). It would be nice to see updated stats on our own players included in the weekly printing.

3afan
07-13-2003, 05:33 PM
wildstangs:
I work for a place here in Abilene that makes one of the local schools football programs. The problem with having up to date information every week is cost and work. We print up every page at the beginning, except for the middle page which has the rosters. They are printed the week of the game in adition to the covers. That is the main reason there isn't much new information such as standings, etc in the books. If some team wanted all that info., there would be huge costs for typsetting, printing and all the other hassles!what we're going to do is ... each week insert the opponent's roster into the program, and on the back of that have our version of "Game Day", with last week results for the district, that night's schedule, notes and stats about the 2 teams playing in the particular game, and other stuff ... really the only cost is copies which i'm sure we can get donated or at least sponsored.

BigDog
07-13-2003, 05:39 PM
I would like to see current stats for the year and a "Where are they now" artile in each program on a former athlete - maybe one on a football player, cheerleader, and band.

3afan2K3
07-13-2003, 06:51 PM
yeah we thought of that (uuuuuhhhhh football, not band or cheerleader) ... or a "Looking Back" piece on a particular game that occurred that same week in the past. Problem is we're limited to one page ...

vet93
07-13-2003, 07:05 PM
How about all-time team stats each week. Examples would be to put in each issue some stats fromt he past at your school. Examples would be to list 3 three teams that have allowed the fewest points in season or the three all time leading rushers at the school or the winning percentage of the school since a certain date or the three or four teams that have gone the furtherest in the playoffs. You could also feature a year each game where you talk about the exploits of a particular team. For example you could write an article about the 19xx team that went to the quarterfinals and were ranked X in the state etc...The old timers would love information like that because they would want to buy a program each week to see if it contained information about when their team played. Opposing teams could also get a taste for the history of your football program. You could also feature a couple of player questionaires each week...goals, hobbies, most special moment as a player, heroes etc...Do the same thing for the band and cheerleaders. You may have to limit it to seniors only. Just a few random thoughts... wink

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-13-2003, 07:22 PM
I cant remember what team did this, but they referenced Dave Campbell's info on each team that they played in their program. It may have been either Decator or Graham I can't recall. I would like to see more though.

Jacket2000
07-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Highland Park puts out the besr program Ive ever seen(HP? Imagine that!). It's usually a hundred or so pages long and in magazine format. It includes color photos, extensive info on the current year, individual players, the coaches, past coaches, and other teams and clubs from the school.
J2K

sinton66
07-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Jacket, what do they have to charge for a program like that?

Aim_High
07-13-2003, 11:43 PM
I have to admit that for a 3A school, Caldwell's football program (20-plus pages) is pretty elaborate. It's color magazine style cover to cover and the front usually has an action shot with artistic touches like a blur to depict speed, etc. The city has a great advertising base with a growing market heading west from Bryan-College Station. All the local businesses like McDonalds, Sonic, Pizza Hut, Wal-mart, Golden Chick, Dairy Queen and Subway really support the athletic program. I think the 3A volleyball titles boosted the financial backing as well. With the very likely prospect of a softball title next spring, strong golf teams, this year's new soccer teams and an improving basketball and football program, it can only get better. Good reading. I know that Bellville's program once had a Hall of Fame page of all the former athletic notables who went pro which was interesting. I'd like to see programs include all scores of both teams from previous weeks leading up to that week.

<small>[ July 13, 2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Aim_High ]</small>

Jacket2000
07-13-2003, 11:50 PM
sinton66:
Jacket, what do they have to charge for a program like that?Well, it's Highland Park, so it's not like they're hurtin' for cash or anything. I believe they charge around $3 a piece.
J2K

audasmom7
07-13-2003, 11:50 PM
Greenwood also has a nice program. :cool: