PDA

View Full Version : Officiating at Texas Stadium

LowDownDawg
12-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Was it just me, or did other posters who saw the SLC/Allen game and Burnet/Gainesville game think that the officiating was not up to par? This is not sour grapes, I don't think the official cost anyone the game. But I did think it very odd that they moved the ball from the spot to the hash marks to measure for first down, instead of bringing the chains to the ball at the spot. Happened 4-5 times during the game. Anyone else notice this? I think there were only 3 penalties called in the SLC/Allen game. Anyone know what chapter they used for the 3A game?

3afan
12-15-2003, 01:01 PM
LowDownDawg:
Was it just me, or did other posters who saw the SLC/Allen game and Burnet/Gainesville game think that the officiating was not up to par? This is not sour grapes, I don't think the official cost anyone the game. But I did think it very odd that they moved the ball from the spot to the hash marks to measure for first down, instead of bringing the chains to the ball at the spot. Happened 4-5 times during the game. Anyone else notice this? I think there were only 3 penalties called in the SLC/Allen game. Anyone know what chapter they used for the 3A game?moving the ball out to where the official made his spot is NORMAL - happens all the time. some crews not as much as others but its not out of the norm. i thought the officials were fine.

<small>[ December 15, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

Sinton94
12-15-2003, 01:06 PM
How did they compare to the officals in the Sinton/Burnet game?

LowDownDawg
12-15-2003, 01:14 PM
I have to disagree that they move the ball around. If, a player is tackled outside the hashes and it is spotted by the official, and it looks close to a first down, I don't think they move the ball to the hash and bring the chains out. I have been watching football over 40 years and I don't think that I had ever seen that. Some fans from Gainesville must have also noticed because they started booing also when it happened to them.

TXMike
12-15-2003, 01:52 PM
This is not the 1st time this year I have heard comments about the ball beoing moved prior to measurements. It is flat out wrong. I suspect what might have happened is that they moved the ball in to the hash and then someone cried enough for a measurement that they gave it. If they decided they were going to measure and then moved the ball, they were REALLY wrong. But if they moved it and then "awarded" a measurement, they were kinda wrong.

HotDawg89
12-15-2003, 03:07 PM
I've been watching football for years, and have never seen them do that before. Of course, they did it to both teams, not just Burnet... no it wasn't anything that would have cost anyone a game... but picking the ball up and carrying it over to the chains, then moving the chains out on the field, and then placing the ball down on the ground... NOPE, it just didn't seem right to me. But I do think the game was fairly called, and the officials were much better here than they have been the past couple of games. They did miss a lot of holding calls on Burnet though. I tihk Burnet knows how to hold and get away with it. Just my opinion.

3afan
12-15-2003, 03:31 PM
what i saw is that the runner was tackled near the hash marks, and the linesman who spotted it was just inside the numbers. the umpire came in and got the ball and tossed it out to the linesman, who put it down where he stood. then they measured. i dont know if this is right or wrong but i have seen this done often. cheers ...

Cameronbystander
12-15-2003, 04:19 PM
The procedure that 3afan saw is the correct procedure. It is the job of the linesman or side judge to spot the forward progress on most running plays unless the runner gets significantly downfield where the back judge could take over. The official that does have "The Spot" will stay in position with his downfield foot marking the most forward progress and the ball will be thrown to him for marking. The chains will then be brought to that point. The Back judge is responsible for holding the ball in position while the measurement is taken.