PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville vs. Burnet.....a few things...

KTJ
12-14-2003, 10:56 PM
1.) CONGRATS TO MY GAINESVILLE LEOPARDS FOR WINNING IT ALL! can i just say that i called this game earlier in the year...i went back to gainesville for the celina game, and told my dad all about burnet. then i said, i think gainesville can play them in the state championship game. and badda bing, badda boom--there we were at texas stadium.

2.) BURNET - what a town. the crowds, the fans, the players, the coaches--it goes beyond unbelievable. to see all the green on the other side reminded me of the gainesville/southlake carroll game where we beat them at their place back in 1995. (i think it was '95) anywho...you all have a special town with special people. honestly, gainesville should have been taking notes. everyone one of us on the gainesville side were very excited to play this team and be apart of one of the greatest football games in the history of high school football, gainesville, burnet, and texas stadium. congrats guys! **sidenote--i referee high school basketball in the austin area. however, i didn't get assigned any burnet games. :(

3.) Gov. Rick - where was he? hidden in a skybox? and then BAM! he magically appears on the field handing out the trophies. :D

4.) Texas Stadium - as i said after the gainesville/forney game, texas stadium is a dump. man, what a dump. nonetheless, a great place for high school football.

5.) Classy vs. Unclassy - i saw this displayed by both gainesville and burnet....it just goes to show, that EVERY SCHOOL HAS THEIR BAD EGGS! THAT DOESN'T MAKE THE WHOLE SCHOOL/TOWN BAD. there was nothing that gainesville or burnet could have done. those people were going to talk smack and have bad attitude from the start. why waste your time trying to analyze which team is classier? for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - now, re-read that post, replacing "action" with "classy fan" and replacing "reaction" with "unclassy fan(s)".

6.) Superbowl Nachoes - tum, tu, tum tum tummmmms! (you'd think as a 22 year old, i could take the nachoes--but nope.)

7.) Finally (well this is all i can think of right now) GAINESVILLE FIGHT! gainesville won their first state championship in football, the third overall school state championship in an athletic event, and the 5th time in the past 3 years that a gainesville team has either won state, been state-runnerups, or in the state semi-finals of a team sport. Gainesville is really representing their city well....now just don't move up to 4A...lol!

once again, i had a great time. congrats to both teams on an outstanding season.

Keith7
12-14-2003, 11:19 PM
KTJ:

2.) BURNET - what a town. the crowds, the fans, the players, the coaches--When i walked in, i was thinkin, "arnt those South lake Carroll fans gonna leave" (cuz the played the game before us).. and they just stayed and i was amazed by the amount of fans that made the drive

HotDawg89
12-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your kind words! Your team totally deserved that win. Amazing game! You have a lot to be proud of! Those were some super posts!

KTJ
12-15-2003, 12:50 PM
thanks hotdawg. now i wish all of this bashing of both gainesville and burnet would stop. :(

HotDawg89:
Thanks for your kind words! Your team totally deserved that win. Amazing game! You have a lot to be proud of! Those were some super posts!

Old Dog
12-15-2003, 01:28 PM
KTJ.....goods comments and an honest assessment of the whole thing. We were very disappointed not to win, but we lost to a classy community. It's stings like hell, but both final loses in '02 and '03 were to real classy teams and fans.

Do you have many returnees among you starters. I never got a listing of players to review. Burnet will have to do lots of rebuilding for '04. We should be competitive again soon, just can't imagine what 4A will be like if we go up, which I feel we will.

spaniard
12-15-2003, 03:08 PM
KTJ:
thanks hotdawg. now i wish all of this bashing of both gainesville and burnet would stop. :(

[/QB][/QUOTE]

i agree with this

Sinton94
12-15-2003, 03:33 PM
I hope Burnet doesn't move up to 3A. Would love to see a possible rematch between them and Sinton. Good luck either way though!

BulldogGrl64
12-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Sinton94:
I hope Burnet doesn't move up to 3A. Would love to see a possible rematch between them and Sinton. Good luck either way though!Burnet is 3A already.

spiveyrat
12-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Old Dog:
KTJ.....goods comments and an honest assessment of the whole thing. We were very disappointed not to win, but we lost to a classy community. It's stings like hell, but both final loses in '02 and '03 were to real classy teams and fans.

Do you have many returnees among you starters. I never got a listing of players to review. Burnet will have to do lots of rebuilding for '04. We should be competitive again soon, just can't imagine what 4A will be like if we go up, which I feel we will.From one bulldog to another... If Burnet goes to 4A, they'll do just fine. Jasper was able to hold their own in 4A, and so will Burnet.

BHS#1
12-15-2003, 05:40 PM
spiveyrat:

Old Dog:

Do you have many returnees among you starters. I never got a listing of players to review. Burnet will have to do lots of rebuilding for '04. We should be competitive again soon, just can't imagine what 4A will be like if we go up, which I feel we will.From one bulldog to another... If Burnet goes to 4A, they'll do just fine. Jasper was able to hold their own in 4A, and so will Burnet.Were just scared because two teams that used to be in our district got moved up now they stink. Marble Falls has had two straight 0-10 seasons and Lampasses was 1-9 last year but this year they did better I dont have ther record.

slpybear the bullfan
12-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Lampassas is 4A??? No way!!!

Burnet Dawg06
12-15-2003, 09:12 PM
slpybear the bullfan:
Lampassas is 4A??? No way!!!sure are!

Leopards,class of 75
12-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Good job on your post KTJ! I really agree with all you said. This state championship game was very exciting to say the least! The biggest shame of this game was that someone had to lose. Gainesville and Burnet are the best in Texas in class 3A football. Best wishes to both teams for the next season , 2004!!!!!

kaorder1999
12-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Leopards,class of 75:
Good job on your post KTJ! I really agree with all you said. This state championship game was very exciting to say the least! The biggest shame of this game was that someone had to lose. Gainesville and Burnet are the best in Texas in class 3A football. Best wishes to both teams for the next season , 2004!!!!!i bet atlanta would have something to say bout that....hehe

<small>[ December 15, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: kaorder1999 ]</small>

Leopards,class of 75
12-15-2003, 10:21 PM
You may be right about that Kaorder1999!!! Atlanta is a great team and just might win state too. But the reason I think that Burnet should be #2 is because there great record of 14-1. I think Atlanta's record is 11-4 and Marlin's is too. I really think Forney is right at the top too, what a team they were! Good luck to all.

kaorder1999
12-15-2003, 10:22 PM
i was just trying to be funny....atlanta did lose a few...i agree with you though

MonkeyJoe
12-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Collier-Sharp has Gainesville at #3 this week
Burnet is at #5, Atlanta #1, and Marlin is at #2.

kaorder1999
12-15-2003, 10:59 PM
hmmmmm...interesting!

kaorder1999
12-15-2003, 11:02 PM
one reason i dont like the two divisions....will never know who the best team is

Ranger Mom
12-15-2003, 11:03 PM
So who is #4??

MonkeyJoe
12-15-2003, 11:04 PM
we all know that Gainesville and Atlanta have played before and we know the outcome of that one already.
But im sure everyone would like to see a Gainesville VS. Marlin Game to determine the real Champion of 3A is...

kaorder1999
12-15-2003, 11:05 PM
did atlanta and g-ville play this year?

MonkeyJoe
12-15-2003, 11:07 PM
kaorder1999:
did atlanta and g-ville play this year?Last year Atlanta and Gainesville played in the 2nd round...ATL won 14-10...
i think there was a very bad coaches decision (by gainesville) that won the game for atlanta...

kaorder1999
12-15-2003, 11:08 PM
hehe...you think copeland is mad he left?

MonkeyJoe
12-15-2003, 11:10 PM
i dunno i think that hes happy at newman smith
hes done a good job and will eventually turn that program around like he did at gainesville.

kaorder1999
12-15-2003, 11:11 PM
i was 2-0 against Gainesville in HS

Mustang '89
12-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Ranger Mom:
So who is #4??Gilmer

MonkeyJoe
12-15-2003, 11:13 PM
kaorder1999:
i was 2-0 against Gainesville in HSWhere are you from?

kaorder1999
went to HS in forney

KTJ
I discussed this with people at the game during halftime -- Copeland didn't turn the program around. There was nothing wrong when he came in. He did the same thing Russell was doing, which was taking Gainesville to the playoffs and losing in the second round.

hes done a good job and will eventually turn that program around like he did at gainesville.

<small>[ December 15, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: KTJ ]</small>

kaorder1999
12-15-2003, 11:15 PM
played yall in 96 and 97...my junior and senior year

Keith7
12-15-2003, 11:19 PM
KTJ:
I discussed this with people at the game during halftime -- Copeland didn't turn the program around. There was nothing wrong when he came in. He did the same thing Russell was doing, which was taking Gainesville to the playoffs and losing in the second round.

The first year Copeland was here, We had 5 all state players.. Yes 5 all-state players... And we only went 6-4.. this year we have maybe 1 (if we are lucky) all state person, and we won state...

Coaching and Defense wins championships in my opinion

MonkeyJoe
12-15-2003, 11:26 PM
thats cool...Copeland came in and got them on a roll...Mike Russell (former coach) *if im not mistaken* the last year he coached gainesville he had 6-4 record.
Copeland came in 1998 and had a 6-5, 9-2, 8-3, then 10-2 seasons, back to back district titles, and a fine coaching staff to back him up.

<small>[ December 15, 2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: MonkeyJoe ]</small>

Keith7
12-15-2003, 11:31 PM
MonkeyJoe:

kaorder1999:
did atlanta and g-ville play this year?Last year Atlanta and Gainesville played in the 2nd round...ATL won 14-10...
i think there was a very bad coaches decision (by gainesville) that won the game for atlanta...4th down and 15 yards to go, and they call a screen up the middle.. i still have nightmares of the game.. and i can still hear coach byrd telling chris brown the play "50 F-screen" and everyone wondering why in the world they were calling that

KTJ
12-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Copeland's first year was my senior year. So he started the '99-00 season. My point was, Russell was having those same type of years as Copeland. Russell's problem was he was having a down year while a changing of the guard was going on in The White House (aka - the administration building.)

And trust me, it goes deeper than that...but it's a moot point now.

<small>[ December 15, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: KTJ ]</small>

Keith7
12-15-2003, 11:32 PM
KTJ:
Copeland's first year was my senior year. So he started the '99-00 season. My point was, Russell was having those same type of years as Copeland. Russell's problem was he was having a down year while a changing of the guard was going on in The White House (aka - the administration building.)

And trust me, it goes deeper than that...but it's a moot point now.You remember how much talent was on that team then.. and they didnt do crap besides beat the #3 team in the state at the time

MonkeyJoe
12-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Keith7:

MonkeyJoe:

kaorder1999:
i think there was a very bad coaches decision (by gainesville) that won the game for atlanta...4th down and 15 yards to go, and they call a screen up the middle.. i still have nightmares of the game.. and i can still hear coach byrd telling chris brown the play "50 F-screen" and everyone wondering why in the world they were calling thatnail on the head...