PDA

View Full Version : Bonfires

BIG19
09-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Just curious, how many schools are still burning bonfires before their homecoming game? I know Burnet is, they restarted the tradition 3 years ago and has really been a site to continue bringing the community together in support of the high school athletes.

Bandera YaYa
09-19-2003, 10:04 AM
...only 3 years ago???? eek! I thought every "football" community had been burning bonfires since the beginning of time!! We have had ours for as long as I've been a Bulldog fan, which is almost 21 years. I'm real surprised to learn that Burnet just started doing that...we just had our Homecoming parade and bonfire last nite.....great nite for one!!

BIG19
09-19-2003, 10:12 AM
They stopped doing them do to the fire bans. It wasn't until 3 years ago that a new teacher came back to Burnet and got the permission to have them again. Thanks to the work she did coordinating and getting everyone (city personnel, fire dept, police.....) on board the tradition continues. The last two have been sites to behold. The amount of people at the fire last night was just plain overwhelming. Really neat to see the support.

Bandera YaYa
09-19-2003, 10:21 AM
I always think what foreigners would think about our football rituals....I mean we light a huge mound of wood, run around it..... chanting, swaying...in the moonlight.....Eeeeeeeks!!
eek!
It's a big Ya Ya convention!!!!

Good luck tonite..... :D

HotDawg89
09-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Sounds like ours. We were late last night and I missed the chanting and running around holding hands that the seniors do.

Big19, did you hear about what happened the night before the bonfire? Apparently some students from Lampasas tried to come over and burn it down... (for those of you that don't know- someone DID burn it down last year, and the HS principal gave the Seniors the day out of school to re-build it Thursday) Well, anyway, they got caught, arrested and they left their gear at the site. (A couple of sticks with shirts tied to them and gasoline.) We used thier stuff to start the fire last night.
Does anyone know if there is there any truth to this rumor?

Rabbit'93
09-19-2003, 10:33 AM
What were they arrested for? Wasn't it going to be burned down anyway? :D :D :p wink

Bandera YaYa
09-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Good comeback, Rabbit!!! :D Probably intent to murder dead tree limbs and such....should be in the slammer for 3-5.....

BIG19
09-19-2003, 10:39 AM
HotDawg: Apperantly the police were the one's who caught them. There were several seniors watching the pile, but the kids came from the tree line behind the bonfire. Other than that, I will have to tell you the other details tonight at the game.

District303aPastPlayer
09-19-2003, 11:02 AM
we dont burn a bonfire..

WE BURN THE NEVER ENDING S
http://www.sintonisd.net/images/neverendings.jpg its huge.. and then the football players are sittin up on a trailer...when its burned, we watch the JV..

Ranger Mom
09-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Normally Greenwood has their powderpuff game and marches to the bonfire with a burning "G". That lights the bonfire and burns the wood with the opposing mascot on top of the pile.

It's usually pretty fun, except for this year when it was done in "BROAD DAYLIGHT!!!" :rolleyes:

3afan
09-19-2003, 11:20 AM
BIG19:
They stopped doing them do to the fire bans. It wasn't until 3 years ago that a new teacher came back to Burnet and got the permission to have them again. Thanks to the work she did coordinating and getting everyone (city personnel, fire dept, police.....) on board the tradition continues. The last two have been sites to behold. The amount of people at the fire last night was just plain overwhelming. Really neat to see the support.10,000 ????????? :D :D :D :D :D

District303aPastPlayer
09-19-2003, 11:25 AM
i believe so =x

espn1
09-19-2003, 11:43 AM
3afan:

BIG19:
They stopped doing them do to the fire bans. It wasn't until 3 years ago that a new teacher came back to Burnet and got the permission to have them again. Thanks to the work she did coordinating and getting everyone (city personnel, fire dept, police.....) on board the tradition continues. The last two have been sites to behold. The amount of people at the fire last night was just plain overwhelming. Really neat to see the support.10,000 ????????? :D :D :D :D :D 10,000 only shows up when it's a well publisized game.

jason
09-19-2003, 11:57 AM
espn1:

3afan:

BIG19:
They stopped doing them do to the fire bans. It wasn't until 3 years ago that a new teacher came back to Burnet and got the permission to have them again. Thanks to the work she did coordinating and getting everyone (city personnel, fire dept, police.....) on board the tradition continues. The last two have been sites to behold. The amount of people at the fire last night was just plain overwhelming. Really neat to see the support.10,000 ????????? :D :D :D :D :D 10,000 only shows up when it's a well publisized game.publiCized

espn1
09-19-2003, 12:00 PM
jason:

espn1:

3afan:

BIG19:
They stopped doing them do to the fire bans. It wasn't until 3 years ago that a new teacher came back to Burnet and got the permission to have them again. Thanks to the work she did coordinating and getting everyone (city personnel, fire dept, police.....) on board the tradition continues. The last two have been sites to behold. The amount of people at the fire last night was just plain overwhelming. Really neat to see the support.10,000 ????????? :D :D :D :D :D 10,000 only shows up when it's a well publisized game.publiCizedeVEN i'M nOT pERFECT. I forgot spell Chech

therealbulldogs
09-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Our bonfire was pretty cool because we had an old boat on the pile and the opposing team's mascot. We also had a car bashing with pictures of osama bin laden all over it.

Knightmoon
09-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Merkel torched the ole Bonfire last night. It is a local tradition. Merkel vs Post for homecoming 2003. Go Badgers!!!

SWTdawg
09-21-2003, 02:48 AM
HotDawg89:
Sounds like ours. We were late last night and I missed the chanting and running around holding hands that the seniors do.

Big19, did you hear about what happened the night before the bonfire? Apparently some students from Lampasas tried to come over and burn it down... (for those of you that don't know- someone DID burn it down last year, and the HS principal gave the Seniors the day out of school to re-build it Thursday) Well, anyway, they got caught, arrested and they left their gear at the site. (A couple of sticks with shirts tied to them and gasoline.) We used thier stuff to start the fire last night.
Does anyone know if there is there any truth to this rumor?the kids were not arrested, they were only cuffed and laid on the ground for a little while to be humiliated. they didn't go to jail...

exbccards76'smom
09-21-2003, 05:58 AM
At Bridge City, they have the"burning of the Letters". This occurs the Wednesday night before homecoming. We used to have homecoming bonfires at Kountze, but I don't know if they do now or not.