PDA

View Full Version : Coach Moore Sets Record

PPHSfan
11-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Moore second to none

Pilot Point coach passes Wood as Bearcats clinch postseason berth

11/09/2002

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

VAN ALSTYNE — G.A. Moore is alone in the record book and Pilot Point is back in the playoffs.

http://www.dentonrc.com/img/11-02/moore.jpg
G.A. Moore

With a 27-13 win Friday night over Van Alstyne at Panther Stadium, Moore moved passed legendary former Brownwood coach Gordon Wood as the all-time winningest coach in Texas high school history.

Moore, a Pilot Point alum who left Celina to begin his third stint at the Bearcats’ coach this season, has a career record of 397-74-9.

"This is an honor," said Moore, whose wife, Lois Ann, celebrated her birthday Friday night. "I get the credit, but this is an award that belongs to the whole town of Pilot Point and the whole town of Celina, not just me. If I was doing it by myself, I wouldn’t have gotten anywhere."

The victory, coupled with Gainesville’s win over Pottsboro, put Pilot Point (7-3, 3-2 District 9-3A) back in the playoffs after a one-year hiatus. Prior to last season, the Bearcats had a run of 22 consecutive postseason appearances.

The Bearcats reeled off three straight victories after a 2-game losing streak to become the final team in District 9-3A to make the playoffs. Pilot Point will play district 10-3A champion Commerce in the first round of the playoffs in a game tentatively set for Friday night in Richardson.

"I’m just proud for the seniors," Moore said. "They get to play in another ballgame. I wanted to end the year on a positive note and that’s going to happen."

Van Alstyne (4-6, 1-4) traveled 86 yards for a touchdown on its first possession of the game — capping the drive with a 1-yard sneak by quarterback Will Smith for the score — then controlled the game for the majority of the first half. But Pilot Point took advantage of one break and made a couple others of its own to take a 12-7 halftime lead.

On first down from the Van Alstyne 9-yard line, Panther running back Billy Medlock fumbled without being touched, the ball flying from his hands like a wet bar of soap. Pilot Point defensive back Joe Calhoun pounced on the loose ball at the Panthers’ 17, setting up an 11-yard touchdown run by quarterback Josh LeBlanc with 2:57 remaining in the half.

Moore made sure the Bearcats seized the momentum, calling for an onside kick. Calhoun lofted the ball perfectly over Van Alstyne’s front five, and Cory McDaniel recovered at the Panthers’ 41. On the next play, Calhoun took a handoff on an end around and completed a 40-yard pass to Ryan Hewitt to set LeBlanc’s second rushing touchdown.

LeBlanc, lined up at halfback, scored on a 10-yard sweep to finish off a 12-play, 97-yard drive ridging the third and fourth quarters, giving Pilot Point a 20-7 lead.

"We knew it was going to be our last game if we didn’t pick it up and play hard," said LeBlanc, who rushed for 82 yards and three touchdowns on three carries. "We knew we had to do it. Everybody put their minds into driving down the field, getting some points and getting to the playoffs."

Van Alstyne, however, wasn’t done yet. Panthers’ running back Landon Jones dashed 50 yards down the right sideline to trim the Bearcats’ advantage to 20-13 with 7:23 to play.

After the team’s traded fruitless possessions, Calhoun put the game away by connecting with Hewitt for a 26-yard touchdown with 2:20 remaining.

"This is awesome," Calhoun said, while a swarm of media engulfed Moore following the game. "There are hardly any words to explain what this feels like right now.’

Moore’s reocrd

Pilot Point head coach G.A. Moore passed Gordon Wood Friday to become the state’s all-time winningest high school football coach. The Bearcats beat Van Alstyne 27-13. Moore’s high school coaching career after Friday’s victory:

Year(s) School W-L-T

1962 Bryson 5-5-0

1963-70 Pilot Point 56-22-3

1972-76 Celina 52-5-2

1977-85 Pilot Point 102-9-3

1986-87 Sherman 12-8-0

1988-2001 Celina 163-22-1

2002 Pilot Point 7-3-0

Total 397-74-9

Chris Hart
11-10-2002, 11:21 PM
Why all the fuss, Look at it like this, the guy couldn't even put together a winning season at Bryson for peete's sake.lol I'm just kidding, that is simply one awesome career, anybody in their right mind knows he didn't have the best talent year in and year out. I'm sure he did coach some VERY talented teams, but not every year. That just goes to show that coaching is still the most important part of high school football. G.A. Moore is by far and away the BEST head coach in Texas high school football history, no offense to Gordon Wood or anyone else, it's just a fact. The man is a legend, and I don't think he is anywhere near being finished. Good luck to Coach Moore and Pilot Point in the playoffs. I just don't think even this man can pull off the upset over Commerce, but he will definately put together the best gameplan possible.

ElMeroMero
11-10-2002, 11:38 PM
Man with this kind of record why didnt he coach at the next level like college or the nfl.

trojandad
11-11-2002, 07:40 AM
I think the answer as to why he didn't move on to a higher level to coach is in the Dave Campbell article on him this year. The man enjoys molding young men as much as he enjoys coaching. I don't know him from Adam, but I'm sure when he makes it to his reward someday, He'll find that The Ultimate Football fan will fill him in not on his win totals on the scoreboard, but on the win totals in changed lives he has achieved on the field, and THAT is the real win total that matters when it's all said and done.

From all of us who wish their sons could have been under such a quality man, let alone quality coach, our hats are off to you, Coach Moore. God bless you sir.