PDA

View Full Version : Houston Chronicle Rankings

RBARKER
09-10-2003, 07:32 AM
This is for the Houston area top 5 teams.

Class 3A
1. Bellville (2)
2. Liberty (1)
3. Rice Cons.
4. Sealy
5. Navasota

Looks like they are giving Liberty some love wink but what about my Eagles :confused:

BHfootballprincess
09-10-2003, 08:15 AM
how in the world did liberty get number 2

trojandad
09-10-2003, 08:40 AM
I can't wait until Liberty brings that "passing" offense this way, those pollsters will change their tune then.

Bongo
09-10-2003, 10:19 AM
This fishwrap gets it wrong most of the time. I wouldn't put much weight on any of their predictions.

Tackle75
09-10-2003, 10:34 AM
I tell you what, I cannot wait till Liberty Travels to Cold Spring. I am ready to show this under achieving team they have in Cold spring, what Liberty Power Football is all about. I fully believe Liberty is well deserving of the ranking they recieved, as evidenced by their victory over Silsbee, usually a very tough team.

EAGLETOWN
09-10-2003, 10:45 AM
This is building to be a barn burner when Liberty gets to face the District Champs!!

:D How many years running now. :D

We might should start the predictions and talking trash now.

<small>[ September 10, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: EAGLETOWN ]</small>

trojandad
09-10-2003, 12:01 PM
I'll be glad when you bring it here too. Let's see a win will bring your total against us to ONE .

Liberty is tough as can be, but they are the same bunch that we've beaten two years in a row without an all state center. I like our chances, whether the Chronicle, Matthew or nobody else does. We haven't been picked on either of the last three wins over you, and we won't be this time.

Tiger Turtle
09-10-2003, 12:22 PM
I think the Barnacle has a new person on the high school beat who doesn't know anything about what is going on in 3A. She (?) is just going through DCTF and/or past seasons' history. The Barnacle never really paid any attention to 3A even when Sealy (or LG or Bellville, for that matter) who is right in their area was winning state or going to the finals. Most of their readership is in 5A areas anyway, so they just throw in area teams in the rankings to make the locals feel good. Case in point, they have Sealy ranked way too high for this early in the season when they have not made the playoffs the past two years. Not that the Tigers aren't a decent team, but others would make more sense right not. [They seem to treat R4 teams like LG as not being eligible for area rankings.]

trojandad
09-10-2003, 12:28 PM
I didn't know that, Tiger Turtle, good to know.

I'm with RBarker, though, if she went on histories, Barbers Hill has the most Celina like District stretch in this area. I don't even know if Jasper has the district streak the Hill does.

Oh well, it's why we play da games, huh?

Tackle75
09-10-2003, 02:37 PM
But you know what Trojan Dad, overall Liberty has the most District Dominance, more like Celina, than the Hill. So I think the stats are a little off there,

And as far as being the same team that you have beaten the last 2 years. I dont know about that. When I was on the team that lost to C S 2 years ago, we had way more talent, and actually whipped the stuffing out of CS, but a few penalties, and mistakes the last few minutes of the game killed us. So as to say that COld Spring has ever been better than liberty is a definite stretch

trojandad
09-10-2003, 02:53 PM
I said Coldspring has won three games ina row against you guys, that's still true and I stand with it. You didn't commit those mistakes alone, we didn't vacate the field for you to make them. If you had beaten us the last three years, you'd be goin on about the numbers speaking.

And the Hill hasn't lost a district game in 4 years. Those are the numbers that matter, and until you or us knock them off, all the whining means nothing.

And since I have charge of the concession stand, I'll make sure we stock enough cheese to go with that whine. All I said was you won't pass on us and that's what I stick with.

Raider4ever
09-10-2003, 03:37 PM
I will say nothing... I'll let are action speak louder then words...

RBARKER
09-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Tackle75:
overall Liberty has the most District Dominance, more like Celina, than the Hill.Tackle75 could you give some examples of Liberty having more district dominance than Barbers Hill? BH has been undefeated 4 years in a row which means BH has beat liberty atleast 4 years in a row. I can't remeber when Liberty had a run like that while being in the same district as BH. All time playoff apearances don't point to it either, BH since 1940 has been to the playoffs 29 times Liberty has been to the playoffs 20 times since 1929. Share with us I would like to know when this Dominance took place

<small>[ September 10, 2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: RBARKER ]</small>

trojandad
09-10-2003, 04:41 PM
This is what kills me about these polls, RBarker, not only has Liberty not taken the top team in the district for years, but they haven't taken the second place team in the district. So they lose an all state center, have the same backfield and for some reason are not only better than us but better than the Hill. If Everman's third place team in their district was picked over Everman, that thread would last for weeks.

Not only can't we get respect for a track record over Liberty, but you guys have a better one than us. Oh well.

JasperDog94
09-10-2003, 04:51 PM
trojandad:
I don't even know if Jasper has the district streak the Hill does.Jasper has only been in 3A for two years now. When in 4A in the 90's, Jasper was almost always the favorite. I do see what you mean about Liberty though. And despite all the rankings, Everman is still #1 in my books until someone knocks them off. Of course they are followed by Burnet at 1 1/2.

trojandad
09-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Couldn't agree more, 94, they (Everman) should be the favs because of their records until they get dethroned, as should others.

BTW, met your coach friend here, like his style, he's good for the boys.

bhillfan
09-10-2003, 05:28 PM
as far as rankings ever meaning anything more than just that, its what happens on the field, the eagles and liberty have plenty more weeks to prepare before we meet so that will be the battle then to decide how much these polls mean

lbc05
09-10-2003, 06:48 PM
if its just a stupid poll then why are you worried about it trojan dad... sounds to me like you have some issues you might wanna take up with your team.. and as far as offense goes .. you havent been able to mustard a yard off of the last two teams you played.. i like to live in the now.. and now is telling me that your 1 and 1 and were 2 and 0 so chill out ... and quit bringing up the past ... it dont mean nothin.. and if you were to ask our all state center who left to play at Georgetown he would tell you we have a better team this year too.. so sorry you think that you know how are team works ... i hope you have a great season but i'll never get on here and downgrade another teams history or program as if to say that they have been worthless or something like that..

trojandad
09-10-2003, 07:11 PM
I'll take having issues and wins than poll ratings and L's.

And I would ask that center, but he would have two losses to the first place AND the second place team the last three years to speak from, so I guess his rating was overblown, too.

And the end of it all is that we've got the W's from you guys and you got your wishes and dreams. Oh, and you've had a loss from us before you even got to play the Hill. That history sucks, can't make those L's go away, no matter how hard you scrub.

Don't whine so much, we have the same prob with the Hill that you do. I could cry and say how they had the advantage over us, but the simple fact is until we take a W from them, they are the champs. I appreciate the well wishes and I wish you guys an injury free year, too, but the bottom line is that you guys have to beat the second best team in the district before you can think about the best one.

And remember, I only bragged on our pass defense, our exchanges are gonna have to get a TON better before we can expect to win against good teams like yours. But you know the old saying, if you can't score, you can't win. Lookin forward to the game, as well as more Liberty smack.

xhardinhornet
09-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Hmmm..........For all these years people "wonder" why the Hill dominates whatever district they are apart of, and whatever teams they have to play against.....let's see, since i have several friends from the hill, i think i'll lend some conclusive evidence that the HILL works on being district champs as soon as they COME into this football world. it is a tradition, no a dedication, no a NECESSITY to win at the hill. i've been playing and watching football for 17 years, and there is NO OTHER town in the southeast tx area that is so dedicated to their atheletic program than the hill. now, on another subject, "trojan man" your just jumpin on the bandwagon bro, all you do is give props to the hill. liberty will win that district, i guarantee....and u know what, everyone will change their perspectives upon area dynasties in the near future.....

Eagles52
09-10-2003, 08:20 PM
it makes me kind of mad to hear all the smack and its not even district play yet...calm down ppl...I hope its seniors talkin not juniors because they havent played us to 30 pts since 7th grade however I will say I dont know how good the senior class at liberty is and they have looked good in both of their games thus far, in addition middle school freshman and jv mean nothing so I just look forward to a good fun game, just wish everyone would back off the smack at least until district is underway...lets just have educated conversations over our opinions and facts to back them up...

trojandad
09-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Pretty good, Xhornet, you tell me I'm just propping the Hill and the Liberty guys before you say I'm propping us. I just said they are champs until someone dethrones them. I think we can, but record shows we have a better chance against Liberty, for sure more confidence.

But I like your prediction of Liberty winning it all, hopefully it will have the same strength as your Trinity predictions. LOL Sorry, bud, just hadta. Good luck to ya at Splendora.

Specklebelly
09-10-2003, 09:08 PM
I have an issue with polls like the Chronicle and the AP poll. They have sports writers who probably haven't even seen a 3A football game voting on who is the best team in the state. Its retarded. It would be like me voting on who makes the most comfortable high heel. Its true I wear shoes like the writers write about football but I dont know diddly poo about high heels like they dont know 3A football. My advise is ignore the polls. Unlike the NCAA, the teams will decide who is the best team and not a dumb poll.

lbc05
09-10-2003, 10:15 PM
aight trojandad....didnt i just tell you the past means nothing you keep bringing up 3 wins and stuff who cares its this year that counts and you were the one to first to talk smack so dont try to blame this hot topic on me.. i'm sure you do have a good pass defense but we dont pass it was just a kind weird thing that we had to do it friday night.. all i'm worried about is playing yall on the field THIS YEAR!!!!!!! not in 1926.. so we will see what happens.. and i do agree some one does need to dethrone Barbers Hill to claim ownership of the district i never disagreed with that .. so lets chill and wait till district gets here good luck the rest of the pre-district season.. and eagle52 the seniors whopped your seniors in 9th grade.. just to let you know

trojandad
09-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Sounds good lbc05, and btw, take your own medicine, buddy. If you don't want me going back 3 years in history, let it go about what seniors did 3 years ago when they were freshmen. LOL And I never called you guys being worthless or talked about 1926, so quote me right if you're gonna quote me. I've said you guys are tough as nails and I mean it.

Tackle75
09-10-2003, 11:33 PM
To all of the people here, that stated that the pollsters for the big papers dont do and actually watch the 3AAA football Games. YOu are Severly wrong my friend.

I am a sports Reporter, I dont actually do the writing, I am an internist, still at U of H completing my degree, but I do go and watch the games, and collect the data for the reporters, and let me tell you that after having watch several of the 3AAA games the past 2 weeks, I have to agree with Liberty being on the list.

So dont say that a reporter is ill informed when making these polls.

Raiders4state
09-11-2003, 12:17 AM
The Houston Chronicle has Rice ranked 3rd.
This is because last week they had Cuero listed beating the Raiders with the score being 22-6. But everyone knows that Rice won 46-22. That dropped the Raiders rating but soon the Raiders will be on top of everyone #1 RAIDERS ALL THE WAY!

LP57
09-11-2003, 07:00 AM
first off yall have teamin up on my boy lbc. i agree with all of you to the fullest the hill is still the champ and has to be dethroned but hey we are 2-0 and you guys both have a loss so befor you go and say we dont deserve anything take a look at your programs and ask what happened when you guys recieved that loss. and hey tackle 75 thanx for the support hope you can come and check out more of our games this yr.

EAGLETOWN
09-11-2003, 08:16 AM
but I do go and watch the games,:rolleyes: OH PLEASE!! :rolleyes:

You have got to be kidding me.

There have been 2 games played this year.

How can anyone make predictions on that.

They (THE CHRONICLE) are just guessing like everyone else.

Based on statistics.

Kind of like the weather.

And like the weather men most of the time they are wrong!!

wink Again, that is why we play the games. wink

:mad: You pull for your team I'll pull for my team and when the dust settles at the end the Eagles will still be District Champs, again!! :mad:

:p That's 4 years of statistics baby!! :p

RBARKER
09-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Like I have said in earlier post Liberty is the team to beat right now. When district comes around BH will be ready and the title is up for grabs. This year I think district 22-3a is the most even it has been in the past years. This is the year that BH could possibly drop district so here is your chance. The next two years we have a load of talent coming in and BH will be tough to stop. I support all of district 22-3a and whatever happens I will support the teams after they enter the playoffs. Good luck 22-3A lets have some good clean games then go into the playoffs and get 22-3A on the map for 3A.

RBARKER
09-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Here's some states from the chronicle for 3A. It acctually included private schools to but I edited it for 3A only.

RUSHING
Player, school Att Yds Avg
Chris Smith, Navasota 63 453 7.2
Curtis Crew, Huffman 25 384 15.4
Charles Huffman, Rice Cons. 33 330 10.0
Michael Spears, Rice Cons. 21 247 11.8
Mason Grillo, Kountze 29 232 8.0
Harold Runnels, Bellville 31 227 7.3
Casey Shows, Barbers Hill 45 219 4.9
Michael Gauthier, Bridge City 30 215 7.2
Cory Elliot, Huffman 28 212 7.6
Gary Raymond, Anahuac 19 206 10.8

PASSING
Player, school C-A-I TD Yds
K. Franklin, Stafford 27-46-1 3 366
J. Buenger, Bellville 17-27-2 4 314
S. Smart, Liberty 15-29-2 2 309
G. Sindelar, Splendora 15-38-3 2 263
M. Zaplac, Sealy 16-26-0 4 203

RECEIVING
Player, school Recpt Yds Avg
Brian Lilly, Stafford 11 119 10.8
Brandt Goeke, Bellville 7 127 18.1
Richard Reeves, Shepherd 7 72 10.3
Bubba Stastny, Sealy 7 68 9.7
John Okpamen, Stafford 6 141 23.5
Michael Thomas, Orangefield 6 120 20.0

INTERCEPTIONS

Player, school No

Michael Spears, Rice Cons. 3

A.J. Bogany, Shepherd2

Omar Gooden, Shepherd2

Brandon Head, Huffman2

Shedrick Johnson, Sweeny2

Jake Koehl, Columbus2

Bryan Penn, Barbers Hill2

TEAM OFFENSE
School Rush Pass Total Avg

Rice Cons. 818 150 968 484.0
Anahuac 626 201 827 413.5
Huffman 724 92 816 408.0
Bellville 455 327 782 391.0
Navasota 657 101 758 379.0

TEAM DEFENSE
School Rush Pass Total Avg

Shepherd 116 97 213 106.5
Rice Cons. 270 79 349 174.5

KICK SCORING
Player, school PAT FG Total

Brandt Goeke, Bellville 6 3 15
Alex Acosta, Sealy 6 1 9
Brandon Snider, Kountze 5 1 8
Stephen Nelson, Wharton 5 1 8

St. Ivender
09-11-2003, 04:25 PM
I've never had much of a problem with the Chronicle but whoever reported the stats to them for the Newton-Hempstead game saw a different game than I saw. Players who scored-didn't. Touchdown passes became runs and the extra points were credited to the wrong kicker. I admit the game was unimportant but makes me wonder how accurate they care to be.

Eagles52
09-11-2003, 08:45 PM
RBARKER, the only problem I know for sure on that list is that bryan peen has 4 interceptions as of last week against HF

TxHsFootball04
09-11-2003, 09:19 PM
some of the stats that the chronicle give are incorrect for example Harold Runnels has 31 carries for 327 yards instead of the 227 years shown so add a 100 yards to what chronicle has, probaly a type on there part....

RBARKER
09-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Eagles52:
RBARKER, the only problem I know for sure on that list is that bryan peen has 4 interceptions as of last week against HFYeah thats what I thought also. I could remember if that was Penn in the Anahuac game that got the two picks. Or It could have been the big pole I had to look around the entire game :D