PDA

View Full Version : Aledo/Alvarado

deliriousmaniac
11-05-2001, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure if it is set in stone, but they are talking Pennington field next Friday night at 7:30.

Super Joe
11-05-2001, 10:35 PM
Thats correct. 7:30, Pennington Field. Then we'll see if Alvarado can beat Aledo like they were unable to do last year. Personally, I think Alvarado's got what it takes to beat the Bearcats this year. New coaching has put this team on the map. They come to play and dont hide it. Good luck to all of division 1. We've all got a tough road with Everman, and now Forney being added to our division. Abliene Wylie and Vernon are also both very good teams. There will be some great games on the way to a state championship this year.

Jacket2000
11-05-2001, 10:58 PM
I agree, Alvarado by 10.

eye of the tiger
11-05-2001, 11:12 PM
Alvarado by 10 to 14.

the claw
11-05-2001, 11:25 PM
i'll have to agree with y'all on this one, new coaching will be the difference maker in this game. However, just like i said with kennedale, this will be a very intense game and could come down to the wire. These teams have a big rivalry between them and it is always fun to watch or play in a game between the two towns. They are both class acts and it should be a good one. Indians by 7.

Jacket2000
11-05-2001, 11:28 PM
I dont know about intensity. That's the one thing Aledo's been missing for most of the year.

deliriousmaniac
11-05-2001, 11:42 PM
As for me being from Aledo, my opinion is biased of course, but i gotta root for the home team. Sure the Bearcats haven't put up a great record (7-3), but only losing to quality teams,(Lake Worth, Forney, and 4A Azle) and not by much. Look for Aledo to continue it's winning tradition at Pennington field, i don't think we have lost there in about 5 years atleast, maybe not ever. Aledo has the week off to heal any injuries and get a good game plan. Aledo's D has played great the past few weeks, granted against not too great of teams, but we showed dominance on a pretty good Breckenridge team, having a shutout untill the final quarter when the 2nd and 3rd stringers got some good playing time in. I hope Alvarado is ready for a good game. I'll have to pull for the home team, Aledo by 7.

Jacket2000
11-05-2001, 11:51 PM
Off week? Those are rarely good. Lemmie change my prediction.
Alvarado by 15.

playpepper
11-06-2001, 09:23 AM
Alvarado will lose in the first round simply because it is tradition. They have won some quality games against Commerce, Kennedale, and Hillsboro but in reality should have lost two of them (Commerce and Hillsboro). Alvarado has too many turnovers to win in the playoffs. I am not diminishing what the new coach has done because he has definately excelled. I am just stating the reasons they will be one and done.

jackhammer
11-06-2001, 09:54 AM
OUT OF ALL THE PLACES YOU COULD PLAY AND THEY PICK PENNINGTON FIELD WHY THAT HELL HOLE . DONT THE COACHES KNOW ALEDO OWNS THAT PLACE AND THE REFS .

jackhammer
11-06-2001, 10:08 AM
I TAKE IT ALEDO WILL BE THE HOME TEAM AGAIN THIS YEAR TOO !

Alvaradobacker
11-06-2001, 10:45 AM
It's tradition for Alvarado to lose in the first round? You must have Alvarado confused with some other team. In the recent past I remember second round losses to Southlake Carroll twice, Gainsville, and a second round tie/loss to Commerce. But I recall only a couple of first round losses, '94 to Crandall and '00 to Aledo.

Aledo was so overrated last year. We had four regular season losses, a terrible coach, and no running back and still should have beaten them at the dump that is Pennington Field. I've seen Aledo play. They're no slouch. But if Alvarado holds onto the football they'll win by 10.

Anybody who says Commerce should have beaten Alvarado didn't see that game. Even objective Commerce fans admit they were outplayed that night. Turnovers, many of them unforced fumbles, kept the Tigers in that game. As for the Hillsboro game, I didn't get to see it. But the Indians found a way to win. That's what winners do.

the claw
11-06-2001, 10:48 AM
Alvarado didn't have many turnovers against hillsboro, none that i can think of but correct me if I am wrong. I can assure you that the Indians will be ready for the Aledo game mentally and phisically. And how is it tradition for Alvarado to lose to Aledo in the first round of the playoffs? It's happened once in the last 6 years, I don't know how many other times in the history of the schools but to call that tradition is a little far fetched. It seems to me that the only tradition has been that a different team wins each year, not just in the playoffs, Aledo in 98, Alvarado in 99, Aledo in 2000. So you can throw your so called tradition theory away. Indians by 7

playpepper
11-06-2001, 12:30 PM
How can you say that Commerce should not have won when they missed a 20 yard field goal with less than 10 seconds left. Get another play because of a roughing the kicker only to fumble the snap on the 1 1/2 yard line. Do not fool yourself. Besides, any person of knowledge knows that you must pass to be successful in the playoffs and Alvarado can not pass a lick.

Alvaradobacker
11-06-2001, 01:10 PM
Clearly, you are a non-objective Commerce fan. Alvarado drove the ball up and down the field. Go back and check the box score. Alvarado fumbled 10 times and lost 6 of them. Most of those fumbles were situations where the ball carrier simply dropped the football without contact. If Marcus Bridgewater and Kenneth Buckley hold onto the football, the final score would have been more like 28-7. At the end, it was just a case of what goes around coming around. Commerce was close enough to win a game they didn't deserve to win, and the football gods delivered a little justice with the missed field goal and fumbled snap. Commerce has a good football team, but the best team on that night won.

You're right, though, about the Indians not being able to pass a lick. I also agree that Alvarado will not go deep in the playoffs if they don't figure out how to throw a little bit. But I believe the running game will be strong enough to get past an Aledo team that is not as good as in years past.

bcbacker
11-06-2001, 01:13 PM
alvarado cant hang with aledo

playpepper
11-06-2001, 01:19 PM
OK, i will give you the benefit of the doubt in the Commerce game about Alvarado shooting themselves in the foot. According to your logic though the same can be said for the Hillsboro game about them dominating play and losing. They did just enough wrong in a game they dominated to lose.

As far as Aledo goes i agree that they are not as good this year as in years past. They are still good however. I stand by my pick in a hard fought close game.

Aledo 24
Alvarado 20

Super Joe
11-06-2001, 02:55 PM
How can you say that Hillsboro dominated?? They no more dominated than Commerce deserved to win. The way I look at it. Alvarado shot themselves in the foot, but were still a good enough team to beat commerce. Dont call a missed field goal ad fumbled snap bad luck. Its folding under pressure. Also, a good kicker completes a good team. Its apparent that commerce doesnt have one. Alvarado has had a revenge-minded season, beating every team that they lost to last year. Dont expect it to be any different aganst Aledo. Much better coaching and conditioning has Alvarado in the drivers seat. I say Alvarado by 14. We all want to give Cunningham a nice final goodbye present. I agree that Alvarado needs a good passing game. But, the Indians seem to find it inside themselves when it counts so we'll see what they can muster up before playoffs.

jackhammer
11-06-2001, 03:40 PM
SO FAR THE INDIANS HAVENT NEEDED A BIG PASSING GAME THIS YEAR TO WIN . WE SAW A LITTLE BIT OF WHAT THEY CAN DO LAST WEEK WITH THAT FINAL 92 YARD TOUCHDOWN DRIVE BY MIXING IT UP . LAST YEAR THEY DIED BY THE PASS WHEN THEY COULD HAVE JUST RUN OVER PEOPLE . THANK GOODNESS WE HAVE SOME COACHES WHO KNOW HOW TO WIN THE BIG GAMES THIS YEAR! ALVARADO BY 20

bcbacker
11-06-2001, 03:45 PM
joe as far as a present we don't want the tent !

jackhammer
11-06-2001, 03:46 PM
SO FAR THE INDIANS HAVENT NEEDED A BIG PASSING GAME THIS YEAR TO WIN . WE SAW A LITTLE BIT OF WHAT THEY CAN DO LAST WEEK WITH THAT FINAL 92 YARD TOUCHDOWN DRIVE BY MIXING IT UP . LAST YEAR THEY DIED BY THE PASS WHEN THEY COULD HAVE JUST RUN OVER PEOPLE . THANK GOODNESS WE HAVE SOME COACHES WHO KNOW HOW TO WIN THE BIG GAMES THIS YEAR! ALVARADO BY 20

deliriousmaniac
11-06-2001, 08:18 PM
Alvarado will need to find a passing game to win this game. Aledo's rush defense is definately capable of stopping the rush. Aledo's Defense is a good group with good coaching. In no way would i consider Alvarado as being better coached, it's definately an improvement, but Aledo's coaching staff is proven. I predict Alvarado won't have enough of a passing game to pull it off, and fumbles will hurt them badly. Aledo by 7.

[This message has been edited by deliriousmaniac (edited November 06, 2001).]

Super Joe
11-06-2001, 10:32 PM
WE have one game with a lot of fumblers and the world mars us as thus. Alvarado does have a better coach and a better scheme than Aledo. Cunningham's scheme was Buchanan's scheme. They were college roommates. Marcus does not back down from big D-lines nor will his knee be hurting like Cunningham is preaching to them. He is goin to try to use our weaknesses that he saw against us. But this isnt the same team of last year. People have stepped up and filled roles. I dont think aledo has what it takes to beat Alvarado this year. We will play this game harder and with better execution than any other game this season. Commerce was a mental boost. WE weren't sure if we could beat them, and played poorly. We will be much more confident against Aledo. Alvarado by 14

deliriousmaniac
11-06-2001, 11:25 PM
Maybe Cunninghams aproach was similar to Buchanons, but I'd put money to say that a coach that has sent teams 6 straight teams into the playoffs is not going to be out coached by Alvarado's new coach. If Alvarado wins it's because its players played harder. Aledo isn't that big upfront on D, but will be able to stop a one dimensional offense like Alvarado.

the claw
11-06-2001, 11:37 PM
i also guarantee you that a coach who coached an undefeated state championship team will not be outcoached. But the way i see it niether coach will be "outcoached" the schemes will just be executed better by one of the teams.It should be a great game and I stick w/ my prediction of Alvarado by 7. But the indians should focus on this weeks opponent for now. Aledo is a week away so get past Ferris and then worry about the Bearcats.

lugnut
11-07-2001, 08:54 AM
Get past Ferris??? Are you really worried about Ferris???

playpepper
11-07-2001, 10:55 AM
Uh, yeah, the Ferris game,uh, yeah. Lets see, if Alvarado wins Friday they are the district champs and big school rep. If they lose on Friday they are tied for district champs and big school rep. Sounds like to me they will be working on Aledo stuff all week. Just a thought.

Super Joe
11-07-2001, 03:33 PM
That may be true CLaw, but i still think Oden is a better coach than buchanon. Oden has 3 state champ teams under his belt. I am however biased. Anyway, 1 dimensional is not a very good discription since there are only 2 dimensions, running and a passing. If oyu didnt know. ALvarado passed 2 for 2 for 45 yards in the final 98 yard drive to beat Hillsboro. When we know what we have to do we execute it. Even if our passing game hasnt been great. We haven't been forced to use passing, and until we are, we won't. Alvarado by 14.

Super Joe
11-07-2001, 03:39 PM
Oden doesnt look past anyone. Ferris, although theyve had a bad season, can break one with thier speed. He'll concentrate on 5-0 through district then the playoffs. Aledo is next week!

the claw
11-07-2001, 05:24 PM
lugnut, why would you look past a team when it's for the district championship. I'm just saying take it one game at a time. That's not being worried about ferris, It's knowing first hand what can happen when you look past a team that may not be as good as you are.

deliriousmaniac
11-07-2001, 10:56 PM
Where did Coach Oden win his state championshipos? As a head coach or an assistant? Do either of you play for Alvarado Claw? SuperJoe? Just wondering. Well i do agree with you on the fact that neither team will be outcoached, but you said Alvarado was 2-2 passing on it's 98 yard drive or whatever, What were the total stats on that game?? To only pass 2 times in a game, complete or not I would consider a virtually total running team. I don't know if that's how much you pass every game although. Good luck against Ferris. Look for some Aledo people to be watching in the stands.

Super Joe
11-07-2001, 11:24 PM
I think he won one as a head coach at Queens City. Alvarado doesn't hide the fact we have a total running game. But when needed we can pass. But our strength is in our offensive line and running backs. I do play for Alvarado. And Claw im pretty sure is a recent alumnus. Coach Oden won a state championship in high school, a national championship at an NAIA school, and state as a coach. He's a great coach. We have a very good staff at Alvarado. Cunningham was definately a blow to Aledo's staff. I know they have a good team this year, but i think we've got what it takes.

the claw
11-08-2001, 12:40 AM
I played for Alvarado, but graduated last year. I know first hand that Aledo and Alvarado are both very good teams. I was not lucky enough however to get to play under Oden, as a head coach. But I do know that as a defensive coordinator he put everything he had into preparing us for games and I am sure he does the same as a head coach. I look forward to this weeks game in Ferris and next weeks at Pennington. Indians by 7.

lugnut
11-08-2001, 10:06 AM
Hey claw...I totally agree with you. But you do have some fans that post here that don't see it that way. I've read some that think the Indians are totally invincible and will simply walk on anybody in their way. Coach Oden has done a remarkable job and I'm sure prepares his players thoroughly each week. Ferris is one of those teams that will scare you in the position you're in I would think......nothing to lose..pulling out all the stops....but I'm sure Coach Oden is ready for that.

deliriousmaniac
11-08-2001, 10:52 AM
Super Joe, by the looks of the Hillsboro game it seems they were able to throw on you guys allmost at will, and the one interception there twoards the end of the game was pure luck in that the receiver was wide open and it tipped off his hands and an Alvarado Secondary person who was a good 5 yards away was able to make the pick. I'm not raggin on your secondary, but that seemed to me as the biggest weakness on Alvarado's team.

[This message has been edited by deliriousmaniac (edited November 08, 2001).]

jackhammer
11-08-2001, 11:29 AM
NO ITS THE MIDGET IN THE PRESS BOX

the claw
11-08-2001, 11:48 AM
I remember three, maybe four, picks by the Alvarado secondary, and several balls were batted down which would have been big plays, in the Hillsboro game. They were solid enough to keep the passing game from hurting them badly. I will agree with you that it is not the strongest part of the Indians game but they have improved alot over the course of the season and will hopefully continue to do so.

jackhammer
11-08-2001, 04:40 PM
what does aledo have this year ?

Alvaradobacker
11-08-2001, 05:23 PM
I watched Aledo play Lake Worth. Aledo has a good defense. They did a good job containing the Bullfrogs' speed. They didn't do anything on offense, but Lake Worth had a lot to do with that.

running backs - Alvarado
quarterback - Aledo
o-line - Alvarado
receivers - doesn't matter, neither team throws worth a hoot
d-line - Aledo/Alvarado
linebackers - Alvarado
secondary - Aledo
coaching - Alvarado (Cunningham is a detriment to the Aledo staff no matter his responsibilities)
Alvarado will win by 10.

Super Joe
11-08-2001, 06:18 PM
Bryce Dean, who coach Hough, our secondary coach, moved to free safety from corner back, made 3 interceptions. One was 70 yards for a touchdown. Another 55 to the 3 yard line. So, we've got some strength in the secondary. We're not near as weak as we were last year. We will not walk over Aledo, but i do believe we will beat them. Indians by 14