PDA

View Full Version : Giddings hires new Coach

eye of the tiger
03-02-2002, 03:21 PM
John M. Odell, Grandview HC/AD, was just hired at Giddings High School replacing Robert Ivey who went to Conroe High.

Got this from the OLd Coach board. Good luck to the Giddings team and their new coach.

REBEL II
03-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Congratulations to coach Odell, and lots of luck BUFFS!

oldbuff78
03-14-2002, 05:00 PM
looks like coach odell is not a very friendly man. he will learn if he stays here long!!

eye of the tiger
03-14-2002, 06:45 PM
transitions are tough. 3 years in a row for us in commerce and maybe again. coach cron seems to be actively seeking a 4A position. i dont know to much about coach odell but its not good if coachs and community dont mesh. good luck and hopefully it will work out. commerce has been lucky so far.

FryDayFBFun
03-14-2002, 08:23 PM
Lucky for Grandview he left. They had a kid almost die down there because he was told water makes ya weak. Was the talk of the area

eye of the tiger
03-14-2002, 09:21 PM
dont much care for that kind of coaching. actually thats not coaching at all. hope he turns out ok for you guys.

super????????
03-21-2002, 10:01 AM
old buff 78,

8th grade better represent next year. or else get back to cleaning the shitters.

INOUNVME
03-21-2002, 01:28 PM
Am not too familiar with the situation with Giddings and all, but what does cleaning toilets have to do with an 8th grade football team "representing"? Maybe if I was in "the know" I might not be asking, but someone fill me in please. If you happen to be a Giddings fan, as a coach, I suggest you go to school and possibly get a certificate so that you may go and do the job that you don't think someone else can do.

INOUNVME
03-21-2002, 02:05 PM
I tried to ask a question a while ago, so if this is a repeat, ignore it. I don't know too much about the situation in Giddings, but what does an 8th grade "representing" have to do with cleaning toilets? If you are a football or team sports fan and you have major issues, there is a possibility that you could go back to school, earn a degree, and begin doing a much better job of coaching yourself. I don't mean this as a "knock" on anyone, but many people like to talk and act like coaches, but are too lazy to actually do the job.

buffalo booster
03-21-2002, 02:41 PM
I don't think that I understand the earlier comments, either. Coach Odell appears to be a good, decent man, with a good past coaching record. I believe that Giddings did well in hiring him.

oldbuff78
03-21-2002, 02:47 PM
Don't get off track here, there is no great program in a small town without the community and it's fans. The coach has to be a great PR person. Being a coach, you have to have that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INOUNVME
03-22-2002, 09:25 AM
Oldbuff, I totally agree with you. By your name, I take it you might just be a Giddings faithful. I have all the respect in the world for what the kids at Giddings did this past year. On the PR, again you are right. But, one or two sour parents should not be able to dictate the direction of a program. I am just guessing, but I am sure, there were parents in Giddings that did not approve even though that team was a semi-finalists. The reason - their little "Johnny" was much better than that boy that was starting. Here's another reason - that coach has no idea what he is doing. Give me a break, all of those bleacher coaches need to keep their comments to themselves. I am all for PR, but I am also all for telling loudmouths to go get a degree.

2AKH
03-22-2002, 11:00 AM
I agree totally with INOUNVME he sounds like some with coaching experience that has been burned by one or two parents that THINK they are great coaches b/c they coached a pee wee football team to the championship or something like this. These folks dont like us coming in there place of work and telling them how to do their work, but dont mind at all tell coaches how to coach. Yes coaches have to PR espicially in small towns but people that say 8th grade should represent or go back to cleaning crappers GIVE ME A BREAK get off the couch and get a the degree and try and put up with parents like yourself

oldbuff78
03-22-2002, 11:12 AM
I don't think this situation is a few loud mouth parents. You have that anywhere. Those kind of people don't bother me. People hear I think are just surprised that Coach O'Dell does not appear to go out of is way to meet his supporters. I've been through it, so I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INOUNVME
03-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Being a new AD/Head Coach in a small town can be tough. You have to really TRY to meet and greet everyone. I am sure it is even more tough in a smaller town such as Giddings. I don't know Coach Odell personally, but I think that if Giddings was smart enough to hire him, he will win people over. Not telling anyone in Giddings how to treat anyone, but I was new to a community once also - give him a chance and it will work out well.

INOUNVME
03-22-2002, 11:38 AM
Oldbuff - any hints or ideas where you reside. Sounds as if you are in Giddings or have close Giddings ties. If you don't want to post any info but are willing to give some info, you can e-mail me. Let me know and I will post my address for you. Take care.

oldbuff78
03-22-2002, 12:27 PM
I now live in Giddings. I hope Coach O'Dell does a good job. Giddings is a great place to live and work. It is a pleasure to live here!!

INOUNVME
03-22-2002, 01:33 PM
Oldbuff - are you a coach in Giddings? Have a son/daughter in the program? I have some friends there on staff.

oldbuff78
03-22-2002, 01:56 PM
No, i am not on this staff. My kids are young. Who do you know on staff here?

INOUNVME
03-22-2002, 02:03 PM
Oldbuff, I actually know most of them on staff or shall I say formerly on staff. Had many good times with Ivey, Price, Holt, and Womack. Do you know who is staying and who is going? Rumors are that many are leaving.

buffalo booster
03-22-2002, 02:39 PM
Price is leaving. Understand he is getting out of coaching for awhile (which is a pity because he was/is a good coach). We wish him the best in his new pursuits. Ivey will probably take a few folks with him to Conroe, but nothing is definite yet. Rumors are great, however!

exguru
03-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Super?????????,
What was wrong with the Middle School football? You sound like a disgruntled parent. I agree with the others. Remember, Middle School isn't about winning or losing. It's about kids learning discipline, hard-work, and fundamentals. Playing ALL the kids should be the focus, not winning!! Best of luck to the new coach!

INOUNVME
03-25-2002, 08:37 AM
I would have to agree with Guru on his comment. Want my opinion? Probably not, but here it is anyway - junior high and middle school parents are NEVER satisfied with the coaching because the parents were the coaches that took them to the city championship in pop warner league. Hate to be the bearer of a reality check, but pop warner coaching cannot, will not, and can never compare to what school athletics has to offer. I admire those coaches and the kids in pop warner, but at some time, parents need to let the true coaches coach.

oldbuff78
03-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Ivey will take 1 coach at the most!!

2AKH
03-25-2002, 02:50 PM
exguru and INOUNVME are right on with there post a lot of folks could learn something by reading these guys post. They must have been around the business for a long while now. It is great to read post with great insight to what the parents are like. Go getem guys.

You aren't what you think you are, but what you think---you are!!!

exguru
03-25-2002, 03:52 PM
2AKH,
Glad you agree with me! I guess Super?????? must be SuperIgnorant about other things than football, cause he hasn't responded to our questions?

2AKH
03-25-2002, 04:12 PM
oldbuff78 - just a thought, but don't you think Coach Ivey might take more than one coach from a staff that took a team to the semis? You must have some serious insight to the Giddings staff and happenings. Any more info will be greatly appreciated. I can tell that you are a fine poster and know many things. In summation, I would put one of my lowly teacher paychecks on the fact that Coach Ivey takes at least three coaches from his present staff. Any takers?

buffalo booster
03-25-2002, 05:07 PM
Let's see... If I were a 3-A coach and had the opportunity to move up to a sound 5-A program, with a significant raise in pay, would I go...? I agree with you. I am afraid that Giddings will lose more than one coach to Conroe. Of course, this is all speculation. We'll know for sure in a few days.

eye of the tiger
03-25-2002, 05:18 PM
I'm sure the coach will take more if he can. According to a coachs board I'm on coachs mention that sometimes new HC's can only take a couple. Usually and defensive and offensive coordinator. Im not a coach but I do know if I were to take a head coachs position I would love to take assistants that I had worked with and trusted. It wil be interesting to see what happens. Good luck

oldbuff78
03-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Ivey was the Def. Coor and Travis Price the OC is sadly getting out of coaching. If i were a assistant and Ivey wanted to take me I would go like I did 25 years ago when my coach took me. Another thought in coaching is Conroe gave Ivey some stipulations like all boards do. Coaching, It's a great job but has a world like a circus.

oldbuff78
04-05-2002, 04:11 PM
3 coaches to remain in Giddings and 4 will join Ivey in Conroe. Good luck guys!!!!!

INOUNVME
04-08-2002, 10:08 AM
Oldbuff, if your info is correct, GHS has some spots to fill. Any ideas on who those coaches are that are leaving and who are staying? When will the spots be filled? I wish nothing but the best to the 2002 Buffaloes and the new staff. If four are going with Ivey, looks to me that 2AKH might have been safe on his thought that more than one would go with him.

oldbuff78
04-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Marlow, Locke, and Brewerton will stay!!
Others will go. Heard it was a sticky situation. Good luck to all!!

INOUNVME
04-08-2002, 01:48 PM
Glad to hear that some of the guys are staying. Any word on where the others are going too? Why is the situation "sticky'?

oldbuff78
04-08-2002, 04:06 PM
Ivey is going to take the others to Conroe. Everything was up in the air. O'dell had told some of the coaches they would'nt back before Ivey had a chance to evaluate the coaches in Conroe. It will all work out.

INOUNVME
04-08-2002, 11:12 PM
So, basically what you are saying is that Odell did not want them in Giddings? Wow, destroy a staff that helped a group to the semis - that's gutsy. If I were a new guy in town, I might try to find a way to keep some of the blood in town. Know what I mean?

exguru
04-09-2002, 09:32 AM
INOUNVME,
Your EXACTLY right!! The best thing Odelle could do is keep as many as he can. Obviously, those assistants played a BIG part in Giddings' success last year. They also know the kids and are well liked in the community. Too bad to see so many good coaches get away. (Then again, from what I understand, with what Giddings' pays, you really can't blame them for heading to Conroe) It's good that Marlowe and Locke will be staying, as they have been at Giddings a long time, and do a good job. If it's true about Smith, Womack and Holt heading out to Conroe, they will be missed. Smith did a GREAT job with the O-line, and Womack and Holt did a super job with the Defensive Front! Good luck to those guys!!

exguru
04-09-2002, 10:29 AM
I have to agree with INOUNVME!! The assistant coaches at Giddings had a BIG part in their success that saw them reach the Semi's. It only seems smart to keep as many as you could. They know the kids, and they are well liked in the community. (Although those in the KNOW can't blame them for heading to Conroe, after what Giddings pays!) Coach Locke and Marlowe have been at Giddings a long time, and do a great job. Glad to hear they are staying. The Buffs will miss Smith, Womack and Holt. Smith's O-line did a GREAT job, and Womack and Holt did a super job with the defensive line. Best of luck to them if they go!!

googly_moogly
04-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Who is the Holt you are referring to? I knew a coach Holt from the past. Do you know his history?

oldbuff78
04-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Now you guys hit the nail on the head. It takes alot of things to keep a good staff together and one is being wanted and money.
Also, players also make coaches look good!

exguru
04-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Old Buff, you are right. If you have athletes, you can get the job done. In the case of Giddings last year, they had the athletes, but the coaches had soooooo much do to with their success. Ivey and his staff did a super job. I truly think that Ivey tried to build a "complete" program. Now, under McCaig, the Buffs made it to the Semi's also, but he used what the program already had established under Warrick, and didn't build anything. Hats off to the job that Ivey and staff did!!

oldbuff78
04-09-2002, 03:49 PM
The only difference in Warrick and McCaig is that McCaig was a offensive genius and had a better offseason program.

exguru
04-10-2002, 07:32 AM
Oldbuff,
Now you've let me down. I thought you might now a little football, but "McCaig an offensive genius!" Please...... When 5A McCaig got to Giddings he tried to run a one back, spread offense. He got blown out in his first two scrimmages and looked horrible. Then, from what I understand, he took the advice of his offensive assistance coaches and incorporated an I Offense, similar to what Warrick ran. But, still, he had Proske at fullback.....and sub-par athletes at tailback....despite those in the KNOW telling him what a GREAT tailback Proske would be. Later in the year, thanks to assistants pushing for the change, he gave Proske the chance at tailback. The rest is history!! He rode Proske's 2,000 plus yards to the semi-finals. (and when Proske got hurt in the Cuero game - your offensive genius came through right - WRONG - he called an option on 2nd and 20 with the game on the line. The Buffs lost yardage and then it was 3rd and forever, incomplete 3 and out, and still had the chance to make a stop! But, an undiscliplined McCaig team (he was well known for that)got a costly penalty and cost them a chance for the game. And off-season - from the assistants I talked to-your McCaig was the "invisible man" come off-season. His assistants ran that well - Allen's weights made a world of difference. Warrick ran a very oiled machine at Giddings! Discipline, hard work, character - one of the best in the business!! He knew more football than you, me and McCaig put together!! He ran a total "program!!!!" Your boy used it up, and went on back where he belongs!

oldbuff78
04-10-2002, 08:06 AM
I don't know where you get your boy from, however Warrick had a solid program but lacked off skills. They had a great def. coor. i think it was Simmonds, he was a key. I disagree with your comments on McCaig, You must not have known where he came from and where he is now. He was the key to the offense . You don't get where he is now and not be good. Have you ever watched a film on his play selecton? Do that and get with a coach and get his opion! I like you x-guru, you must be a student.

exguru
04-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Oldbuff,
Please.....Don't bore me. I've seen film and live action of the McCaig era. Yes, I know where he came from, Cy Creek, where he was O.C., and I know where he is, Stratford. If you think he was an offensive genius, then you don't know "jack"!! As I said, his "offensive" mind brought the one back - spread offense to Giddings. He stayed with it, UNITIL his assistant coaches persuaded him to change it. (They went back to similar Warrick offense - counter, lead, etc) The need of a lead blocker was evident to all but him. He didn't even use Proske at TB until assistant coaches, and an ugly injury in Caldwell to the RB, convinced him of the change. PROSKE is what led him to the Semi's!! Playcalling - case and point - Buffs at home versus Rockdale (by the way - Giddings vs. Rockdale, Giddings was 10 and 0 against them with Warrick (and yes - Simmonds - a great defensive coordinator) - but anyway, 4th quarter, game winning drive - on Rockdale 20 with minute to go - they were playing a hard corner all night long - on 4 and 6 - McCaig calls a one recieiver simple out - it gets picked off by the corner and run back for game winning t.d. - Any "non-genius" would have called an out and up - game over - Buffs win! McCaig's Record - 1st year 5-5 (no play-offs) 2nd year (13-2 - Semi's with PROSKE leading the way) 3rd year (6-5 with no PROSKE but same O-line). Result - McCaig - decent man - great "politician" - but offensive "genius" - I think not!!

oldbuff78
04-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Man i thought you knew your stuff?
McCaig came from Langham Creek and has now left Stratford for Cy-Creek. Any real true coach knows that. McCaig was 5-5,10-4, and 6-5 with multiple injuries his last year. Your just one of those want to be know it all. Too bad you don't know how a system works!!!!!!!

exguru
04-10-2002, 12:45 PM
buff,
I'm sorry, I really didn't keep up with McCaig before or after he was at Giddings. Nothing personal against the guy, but just "know" he was "not" the offensive "genius" you made him out to be. You still didn't respond to what I said about his O. But let's look at this: With Proske (10-4) - without 5-5 and 5-6 - those records do NOT speak of offensive genius. At one time one of his assistants griped that with his offense, "the kids have nothing to hang their hat on." Meaning, it changed from week to week because he didn't know what he was doing. I believe he referred to it, "offense of the week!" Anyway, wasn't his Father-in-law the head coach at one of the "Cy" schools? Wonder how he landed his latest job? Because of his "offensive genius" or "politics"?

exguru
04-10-2002, 12:46 PM
Whoops,
oldbuff before you correct me, 5-5 and 6-5, but same results!

oldbuff78
04-10-2002, 03:23 PM
It's ok Guru, you make some fair points and you will learn someday that there is politics in everything. Thats how alot of coaches get there first head job. How is Giddings standing in baseball?

GiddingsFan
04-10-2002, 04:46 PM
I'm from Giddings and was in school while Warrick was the head coach and while McCain was there. I will say that Warrick was and IS the better Coach.
I agree that Proske Carried the team that year and that McCain rode hime all the way.

But Giddings should have Hired Simmonds after Warrick left for Belton and if they had then we wouldn't be having this discussion right now because Giddings would still have a great coach instead of having to bring in yet another coach to use Giddings as a stepping stone....

So basically what I am saying is this on a scale of one to ten one being the worst and 10 the best.

Warrick 9 (Doing a great job for Belton)
Simmonds 8 (with potential to be much
better)
McCain 5 (possibly a better assitant
than head coach)
Odell ? (We will see)

oldbuff78
04-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Why didn't Simmonds get the job? He was part of Warricks success. What are your thoughts.

GiddingsFan
04-10-2002, 04:59 PM
I think that he was to easily passed over by the School Board who was looking to find another coach like Warrick to run their program.

Simmonds deserved the opportunity to be the head coach but I think that they thought that he wouldn't be the AD that they desired I don't think that he was good enough at PR for them.

oldbuff78
04-10-2002, 05:05 PM
I think your right. He would have been a great head coach but lacked the AD part. I knew him when he was at Rockdale. The same thing happened there also. I wish you guys would cut slack on McCaig and even Ivey. After all, they took Giddings to the Semi's and farther than Giddings went in 40 years.

exguru
04-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Oldbuff,
Nobody has said ANYTHING bad about Ivey. He was one of the best coaches ever at Giddings. YOU said that McCaig was an offensive "genius" and I brought up some facts that proved he wasn't. As for as Simmonds, he was done wrong by the "board", one in particular, from what I've heard. He would have been a great HC and a great AD. He just didn't play "favorites" or "politics" like the one who got the job instead of him.

oldbuff78
04-11-2002, 09:12 AM
I don't know that Simmonds was done wrong from my source. I was told the board and Warrick were up front with Simmonds and he would not listen. Maybe you know more. I keep hearing harsh feelings about Ivey from people but that is coaching. I just found out yesterday that O'Dell is still not there full time. I just can't beleive that. I still think you should give McCaig a break. At the last coaching clinic in Houston in Feb., Bellville coach Chancellor told people he was glad McCaig left, he picked up on ideas McCaig gave him which he used this past season and they went alot further that even he expected. Do you get to see Millard Locke often?

2AKH
04-11-2002, 09:45 AM
I dont know as much as either one (exguru or oldbuff) about gidding espicialy the Warrick and McCaig eras. But from what i do know i do tend to agree more with exguru than i do with oldbuff. But i have to say this oldbuff and exguru have difinetely shown to be a class acts on this board all though it is going back and forth with opions there is no crap being thrown towards on another just good discussion with difference in opions. As far as Ivey goes i havent heard anything harsh and would hope there would be anything if Giddings would have come up with some money he would still be here. And yes the business does include lots of politics and sometime who you know gets you jobs you dont deserve ie. McCaig in Giddings.

oldbuff78
04-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Thanks 2AKH, Ilike good talk. I think people are just upset that Ivey left. But it is tough for 3A schools to come up with 25K and a car when Conroe offers it. Like i said earlier, I like Guru!!!!!! Must be a nice young student.

exguru
04-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Oldbuff,
I'd like to ask you three questions, and answer "truthfully" if you like.....1.) Were you at the Regional Coaches Meeting in Houston where Bellville's coach made those remarks about McCaig? 2.) In one post you said you played Div. I football - where? 3.) In another post you said you had "two rings" and one was a "bowl ring!" Which bowl? You are highly knowledgable in this field, and someone from the "inside" has kept you well informed!

oldbuff78
04-11-2002, 11:58 AM
Yes,UT, Cotton and bluebonnet

oldbuff78
04-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Forgot swc ring

hotrock
04-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Old buff, I dont know who you are, but I do know exguru and he is no young student. He has been a coach for 10+ yrs and a dang good one at that. I have a lot of respect for him b/c he helped mentor me my first 2-3 yrs and I really learned alot about the game and about being a professional in my career. Keep up the great post all of you.

oldbuff78
04-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Hey Hotrock, sorry if you think i stepped on Guru's toes, i thought he was a student not a coach. Are you a coach at Giddings? If so, are you staying or going to Conroe?

exguru
04-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Oldbuff,
Your not coaching at Cy-Creek are you?

oldbuff78
04-11-2002, 02:34 PM
No, I am coaching in San Antonio and love it!

lovedaddy06
04-12-2002, 05:39 PM
Hey Old Buff,
Im from Giddings, played for Warrick, Ross, and Roberts. I live here in SA drop me an email, lovedaddy06@satx.rr.com

bigman33
04-23-2002, 02:13 PM
McCaig, not an offensive genius.
Warrick, Ivey, and Simmonds are great coaches, who deserve more credit, not McCaig, who used Warrick's program as a stepping stone to land a 5A job.