PDA

View Full Version : Tank or Pond

lepfan
02-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Being from Oklahoma I grew up with a POND out in the pasture, we fished in this POND, and even swam in this POND.

A tank is one of those metal thingys you buy at the farm supply fo put in your pens to water your livestock...

agree or disagree

j_dog
02-26-2004, 01:35 AM
In East Texas, I grew up hearing "pond". That was where the water mocassins lived. :D

sinfan75
02-26-2004, 05:43 AM
Down around Sinton earthen water holes are called stock tanks.At least by the people I run with.

spiveyrat
02-26-2004, 07:12 AM
Tank is one of those big metal things that rolls around and shoots it's big gun! :D

sinton66
02-26-2004, 07:48 AM
The "ponds" are called tanks out in west Texas also. I've always heard them called stock tanks. Guess it depends on whether you were raised in farm and ranch country or not.

Cameronbystander
02-26-2004, 08:19 AM
I lived in Missouri for eight years and when I told peopple I used to swim in a tank they would laugh like crazy. I did a little research and I believe the following:

In the 1930's the West Texas ranchers were trying to get the federal government to supplement the building of watering ponds for their cattle. The government would only give money for stock tanks so the ranchers took the money and built the tanks (ponds) and told the government that they had purchased metal tanks. Ever since, Texas ponds have been called "tanks".

3afan2K3
02-26-2004, 08:47 AM
If it's in a park I call it a pond, if its off on someone's land I call it a tank

CatWoman
02-26-2004, 09:21 AM
In my neck of the woods, it's a tank. If you were to call it a pond, people might think you're from "up north" or something!!

Buccaneer
02-26-2004, 10:10 AM
CatWoman:
In my neck of the woods, it's a tank. If you were to call it a pond, people might think you're from "up north" or something!!Ditto

JasperDog94
02-26-2004, 10:25 AM
I've always called it a pond. I guess makes me a Northerner...North of Beaumont that is.

olddawggreen
02-26-2004, 11:01 AM
For those of us (who aren't transplanted carpet baggers) ,in Central Texas, they are called tanks. Ponds are found in the city parks and on property owned by those new to the area.

St. Ivender
02-26-2004, 11:43 AM
East of the Neches it is called a pond. When a benevolent land owner lets you fish out of his pond you say " Tanks for letting me fish outa your pond".

<small>[ February 26, 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: St. Ivender ]</small>

spiveyrat
02-26-2004, 12:12 PM
CatWoman:
In my neck of the woods, it's a tank. If you were to call it a pond, people might think you're from "up north" or something!!Heaven forbid!

Chief Woodman
02-26-2004, 02:06 PM
I was told that a tank indicates it is man made. A pond is a naturally occuring body of water.

CatWoman
02-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Chief Woodman:
I was told that a tank indicates it is man made. A pond is a naturally occuring body of water.You may be right. My Dad operated a bulldozer for 30 years and digging tanks was one of the main things he did on farmers' and rancher's land in this area.

WoodvilleFan
02-26-2004, 02:11 PM
grew up in east texas with ponds. graduated from Texas Tech where they were called tanks. must be a regional thing.

crimson blood
02-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Cameronbystander:
I lived in Missouri for eight years and when I told peopple I used to swim in a tank they would laugh like crazy. I did a little research and I believe the following:

In the 1930's the West Texas ranchers were trying to get the federal government to supplement the building of watering ponds for their cattle. The government would only give money for stock tanks so the ranchers took the money and built the tanks (ponds) and told the government that they had purchased metal tanks. Ever since, Texas ponds have been called "tanks".is this true or am i just that gullible?

BHKrystal06
02-26-2004, 04:30 PM
I've always called it a pond, always WILL call it a pond.

CatWoman
02-26-2004, 05:15 PM
BHKrystal06:
I've always called it a pond, always WILL call it a pond.Same goes for me, it's a tank.

olddawggreen
02-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Chief Woodman:
I was told that a tank indicates it is man made. A pond is a naturally occuring body of water.That makes sense chief, I really know of very few bodies of water in my part of the country that are natural. With a few exceptions they are all man made.

slpybear the bullfan
02-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Chief Woodman:
I was told that a tank indicates it is man made. A pond is a naturally occuring body of water.Exactly right.

Old Tiger
02-26-2004, 06:58 PM
I grew up hearing tank. I think it depends on where your from.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2004, 10:25 PM
I usually classified them as how big they were. If it was really big, I called it a pond. If it was fairly big, but not too big, I called it a tank. We have three tanks on our property, lol.

lepfan
02-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Chief Woodman:
I was told that a tank indicates it is man made. A pond is a naturally occuring body of water.Just a few years ago my parents had a pond dug...I did my own little survey at school today...it does appear to be a regional thing. There are some ponds around here that people call lakes...I think some just classify a big pond a lake so as to make it sound fancy...

<small>[ February 26, 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: lepfan ]</small>

sinton66
02-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I suppose it could be a "use" thing too. If it's decorative only, you could call it a "pond". If it's used to water livestock, you'd call it a "stock tank". If it's a large decorative pond, I suppose you could call it a "lake". I always considered them a pond if the folks who had them were raising catfish.

Pudlugger
02-27-2004, 08:47 AM
In order to depreciate it and capitalize the cost of constructon on a ranch or farm the IRS requires that the main use of the "body of water" be for agricultural purposes. Hence it is referred to as a stock "tank" rather than a pond, which connotates more of an esthetic use rather than agicultural use. :cool:

callandraise
02-27-2004, 09:31 AM
If you can spit across it it's a pond,if you can shoot a shotgun acrosss it it's a tank if you can barely see across it it's a lake,anything else is an ocean.

CatWoman
02-27-2004, 09:37 AM
I was telling my husband about this pond/tank discussion last night and he grew up on a ranch in this area. He noted that when your think of pond, you think of ducks floating on it. When you say tank, you think of cattle drinking out of it.

Soleus
02-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Chief Woodman:
I was told that a tank indicates it is man made. A pond is a naturally occuring body of water.That's what I was thinking.

lepfan
02-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Pudlugger:
In order to depreciate it and capitalize the cost of constructon on a ranch or farm the IRS requires that the main use of the "body of water" be for agricultural purposes. Hence it is referred to as a stock "tank" rather than a pond, which connotates more of an esthetic use rather than agicultural use. :cool: So pretty much if you build it you must call it a "tank" on paper (to satisfy IRS) :) , but in regular conversation at the coffee shop you can call it whatever you want...