PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to the Wildcats

Buckeye80
11-01-2003, 03:12 PM
I know I tricked some of you by just saying "Wilcats", but please read this even if they aren't "your" Wildcats.
The Emory Rains Wildcats came into Buckeye Stadium last night with absolutely nothing to lose. Depending on what poll you saw, they were somewhere around 60 point underdogs. But, regardless of what everyone said, regardless of how hopeless it was, the Rains team absolutely played their hearts out and left everything on the field inluding a once bright orange "G" that now has a slight tint of blue. That is an awesome sign for a program that has suffered through some adversity the last few years.
To the Rains Wildcat players: You guys did one Hell of a job last night. Yeah, I know what the score was, but you still should be proud. You guys got "out-talented" not outplayed, and that is not your fault. Besides, if you could get points in football for guts, determination, pride, character, class, and willpower, y'all would have put 80 points on us. As cliched as this phrase is, and as real as the pain still is right now, "Keep your heads up! You have nothing to be ashamed of!"
I looked out at the ten yard line after our (Gilmer's) last touchdown, and one of the Wildcat defensive linemen was just sitting there with his hands on his head as if to say, "It's just not fair!" No it isn't kid, but y'all have a good coach, wonderful fans, and the most important intangible characteristic of all: COURAGE....

NOW as for the Buckeyes! You better had pull it out guys...and y'all know what I'm talking about pulling out of where! That was absolutely ridiculous last night. You were playing like you read the newspaper on Wednesday and saw the predictions. I actually saw one of our kids yawning in the 2nd Quarter when we were behind by seven. This is to serve you notice. There are no more "freebees". You play like that next week, your district championship is gone! Play like that after that, lace up the sneaks and get ready for basketball. Daingerfield would have been up at LEAST 35 at halftime the way y'all were playing. Look, you guys have the talent, the coaching, the fan support, and the experience to win it all this year. Be men, be courageous...like Rains was last night.

Diboll_Lumberjackk
11-01-2003, 05:08 PM
so i pulled into burger king an was like "yeah i want frys with that".....

Gilmer Buckeye
11-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Well said, Buckeye80.

However, I also think Gilmer deserves a few style points for the way the team responded to whatever was told to them at halftime. You can't argue with scoring on every possession of the second half. And literally the only defensive lapse was allowing the 52-yard run, but we have come to expect at least one of them a game.

I am not ever shocked when that happens. Our offense is just going to have to keep putting up big numbers, including on the scoreboard, because I can't see us holding some of these potential opponents in the playoffs or even Lindale for that matter under 20 points.

But you are right. Any more halves or maybe even quarters like we saw in the first two quarters last night and the Buckeyes will be back at the free-throw line.