PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodby to the Burnet Bulldogs

dawgdad
12-15-2003, 01:31 AM
It been a heck of a ride friends. My kid has played the last three years on OL and I know he will never forget it or his team mates. Losing Saturday was a heart breaker but also the greatest experience he will ever encounter. He won't remember the trash talk thrown around (I Hope) or any of the negative things said about his town. You see, this kid was born in the inner city of Houston and my only regret is that he wasn't born in the best little town I've ever seen. Burnet Tx. My kid graduates this year and I know it will be hard for him to go to college and forget the friends, the family, the community he will leave behind. But all of those things have made him the man he is today. Thank you Burnet, for helping me make him that man. After losing Saturday, my son has been so down on himself that he will hardly come out of his room. But the kid has received seven scholarships so far this year and has made me the so proud I can't hardly stand myself. I blame Burnet Tx. So talk trash all you want. I won't.

j_dog
12-15-2003, 01:42 AM
Dawgdad, your post is one of the best posts I have ever seen. It is a great example for staying positive. If only we can all follow your example. :)

dawgdad
12-15-2003, 04:11 AM
j_dog:
Dawgdad, your post is one of the best posts I have ever seen. It is a great example for staying positive. If only we can all follow your example. :) It's different when you have a kid on the field. You have have to stay positive. My kid has made us so proud. Not just of him but the whole team as a unit.

weatherag07
12-15-2003, 08:18 AM
Awesome post, dawgdad! Good luck to your son!

Pudlugger
12-15-2003, 08:47 AM
DawgDad, I certainly can relate to your excellent post as my son finished his football career as OL for La Grange with a loss to Marlin in the Regional final. He stood alone in the middle of WISD field after the game and recalled how they lost the 2001 3A DII Championship game in that same stadium to a determined Commerce team by a slim 3 points. He also has made us very proud. Good luck to your son, I'm sure he will continue to instill great pride in your heart.

fred grunden
12-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Been there, done that. The hurt gets better with time, but you don't ever forget it. You remember every play for a long time. But gradually the memories just become good ones. Jasper went 24 -2 during the '82 and '83 seasons in 4A, losing to Ft Bend Willowridge (the state champs) two years in a row. We thought we had a very good chance for taking the state championship in '83. We had a very good team. Even had a place kicker that made all-state. Yes, Jasper had an all-state kicker. eek! But we lost a heartbreaker 10-6 with a touchdown ruled a fumble after a defensive
player stripped the ball from our running back in the end zone. One ref signaled TD but another would not agree. They got the ball and the game.
And yes, I had a son playing on the offensive line.

vet93
12-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Dawgdad...as others have said...the hurt will never completely go away. When you are as close as Burnet has been the last few year it makes the loss even more difficult to adjust to. One thing I do know is that when your son looks back on these years they will be some of the fondest memories that he will ever have. I will never forget the bond that I shared while playing those last few years in football with my dad, family, friends and teamates. Congratulations on a great season and for having a young man that you can be proud of...from an old lineman.

olddog73
12-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Dawgdad, I know eddie and the other boys are hurting right now, but what a ride its been. Time heals the pian but the memories of what these boys have acomplished will allways remain. They have set the mark high for all of the youngsters that are coming up will strive for. Burnet will have their day again and it will be partially because of these boys that played the last couple of years and their coaches who have taught their players and the people of Burnet that it is possible to do great things and to win if you try hard enough. All of us have been very blessed to be able to be a part of this the last couple of years. I wouldnt trade the experience for anything. I am so proud of the boys.
I also know that we havent seen Eddie and a number of our other Seniors play their last football games yet. I will be yelling for college teams over the next 4 or 5 years that I never imagined I would ever have any interest in, because some of our boys will be there playing for them. Thats really exciting to me. And dont give up your season tickets for the Bulldogs yet either (but if you do call me first!) we have a lot of exciting years ahead of us with all the young talent coming up. The only difference is that now you can come and relax a little more. Best of luck to Eddie and all the boys.

Old No. 7
12-15-2003, 06:19 PM
vet93:
Dawgdad...as others have said...the hurt will never completely go away. When you are as close as Burnet has been the last few year it makes the loss even more difficult to adjust to. One thing I do know is that when your son looks back on these years they will be some of the fondest memories that he will ever have. I will never forget the bond that I shared while playing those last few years in football with my dad, family, friends and teamates. Congratulations on a great season and for having a young man that you can be proud of...from an old lineman.I couldn't have wrote at better reply myself. From another old lineman....."48 minutes to play; a life time to remember." :) :)

Keith7
12-15-2003, 06:26 PM
dawgdad:
It been a heck of a ride friends. My kid has played the last three years on OL and I know he will never forget it or his team mates. Losing Saturday was a heart breaker but also the greatest experience he will ever encounter. He won't remember the trash talk thrown around (I Hope) or any of the negative things said about his town. You see, this kid was born in the inner city of Houston and my only regret is that he wasn't born in the best little town I've ever seen. Burnet Tx. My kid graduates this year and I know it will be hard for him to go to college and forget the friends, the family, the community he will leave behind. But all of those things have made him the man he is today. Thank you Burnet, for helping me make him that man. After losing Saturday, my son has been so down on himself that he will hardly come out of his room. But the kid has received seven scholarships so far this year and has made me the so proud I can't hardly stand myself. I blame Burnet Tx. So talk trash all you want. I won't.I know how hard it is to lose your last game (I played my last game last year in the 2nd round).. but to make it to the state championship 2 years in a row is a big accomplishment and they have nothing at all to be ashamed about.. tell your son to keep his head up, and if he gets to play college ball he should feel privleged.. not everyone gets the oppurtunity to continue their football playing career after high school is over, and that makes things even harder

Chief Woodman
12-15-2003, 06:29 PM
I understand completely. My son played his last football game this year as a senior for Decatur (also an O lineman). At 6', 220 lbs he holds no illusions about playing DI college ball. He could play for a small school, but he has weighed that as not being able to let go of something, and life moves on. He has already been accepted to aTm Mays business school, and has his college paid for. While losing the joy of getting to ever see him play again, I still have him and get to see him move into the world. After losing my daughter to cancer 10 years ago, I can assure you that it is a great blessing to have seen my son become the young man he is. To all parents out there ......treasure your children, and enjoy each new phase of life as it comes.

spaniard
12-15-2003, 06:50 PM
keith7, ive noticed a lot more maturity coming from you these last few weeks, and it is a great thing to see. ive appreciated your last couple of posts on here.

and chief, the last line of your post is so stinkin true, my parents have hung in there tough while ive been growing up, and since i was the oldest, im pretty sure i gave them a good idea of how to deal with a lot of different things, but they have stuck with me, and that means so much to me. they support me no matter what i do, as long as its not completely stupid, hehe. parents, dont ever tell your kids they cant do something unless it will be harmful to them, and always love them no matter how argumentative or rude or disrespectful they get towards you, especially their sophomore year, theyll wake up and realize that you do know more than they do. anywhoo, im probly not making any sense right now, but its all good.

bulldogmom2
12-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Dawgdad,, Your so right about the young men who have represented this community in football. As for you son, I know him and he's a awesome young man. My son will be a freshman this next year all always talks about yours and even plays the same position. I will tell you that the young Jr. High kids are amazed at this football team. Thats all they talk about is how great this group of young men are.
I'm sure in the next few years I'll feel his hearbreak to, and to watch is even more painful. When this kids were born we didn't get an instruction book on how to handle all the ups and downs, we just have to learn day by day. I know yours will bounce back, because of the young man that he is. The hurt will go away, and he'll so realize what great memories that he'll have. He has a great future in front of him, as do all of the boys. He's always been one of my favorite players. Reminds me of my own big boy. (that we joke about).
Again, from this mom... Your son has taken on a leadership role with the younger guys. Given them things to dream about. Has made good choices to set examples by. You take care of him at home, and this community will take care of him at other times. All these young men are great, and will never hear one word against them from their home town.
best of luck to him, I know he'll go far.....I Know you proud

Old Dog
12-15-2003, 09:30 PM
As one of the old posters from Burnet, I would like to thank all of you parents of players, cheerleaders, band members and others that have given us such a thrill over the last 3 years. You folks have some great and talented kids. We may not yet have the deep tradition of some perenial football powers, but steps have been taken in the right direction. Our school board has shown us they believe in the kids and the activities they are involved. If we can maintain strong coaches, band directors, teachers and sponsors and the sense of forward looking programs, this should continue (right into 4A if the numbers call us).

dawgdad
12-16-2003, 02:20 AM
Thank you to all the people that have replied to this post. I'm actually his mom. Just using Dads name because It's easier. Eddie almost didn't come out of his room yesterday he felt so bad about the loss of the championship, but He knows we don't love him any less and if anything, the kid bought himself a college scholarship for the last three years of playing football. I still can't wrap my brain around that! And there's alot of talent on the team that nobody's calling. Chris Levens. Gosh, I sometimes wondered how he got up off the field he took so many hard hits. Ben Rountree, what an awesome player. And what can you say about the Ty Kuhns of the world? I feel so privledge just to know them.

Wildcat81
12-16-2003, 02:50 AM
Good luck to ypur son Dawgdad.Ps Mrs Dawgdad

dawgdad
12-16-2003, 03:28 AM
olddog73:
Dawgdad, I know eddie and the other boys are hurting right now, but what a ride its been. Time heals the pian but the memories of what these boys have acomplished will allways remain. They have set the mark high for all of the youngsters that are coming up will strive for. Burnet will have their day again and it will be partially because of these boys that played the last couple of years and their coaches who have taught their players and the people of Burnet that it is possible to do great things and to win if you try hard enough. All of us have been very blessed to be able to be a part of this the last couple of years. I wouldnt trade the experience for anything. I am so proud of the boys.
I also know that we havent seen Eddie and a number of our other Seniors play their last football games yet. I will be yelling for college teams over the next 4 or 5 years that I never imagined I would ever have any interest in, because some of our boys will be there playing for them. Thats really exciting to me. And dont give up your season tickets for the Bulldogs yet either (but if you do call me first!) we have a lot of exciting years ahead of us with all the young talent coming up. The only difference is that now you can come and relax a little more. Best of luck to Eddie and all the boys.I'm giving up my season tickets. I'll be there for all of the home games but I don't need a reserved seat anymore, Good seats. Row 6, seat 4 &5. Get there early next year and they are yours.

dawgdad
12-16-2003, 03:33 AM
Andrew Ivicic, #60, is going to be trying to step into my kids slot.I can't wait. He's gonna be awesome.I'll be there for that but I doubt I'll travel for the BDs. I'll be traveling to see #71 in colege. Trahan is also gonna be someone to watch out for. I love this kids!