PDA

View Full Version : An Analysis

Phil C
01-08-2003, 04:05 PM
I know this may be like comparing oranges and apples so I don't draw any real conclusions regarding football but last year in baseball I looked over the final four teams that went to State (final four teams) in classes 2A,3A,4A, and 5A (total 16 teams). As you know in baseball and basketball the district second and third place teams play an elimination game right after the season and then whoever is left plays playoff games with the district winners who had a bye that week. Anyway of the 16 teams that got to state 13 were district winners and there were two second place teams and one third place teams. The two second place teams and the third place teams were all eliminated in the semis.
In basketball of the 16 teams 14 of the teams that went to state 14 were state champions and two were second place teams but the second place teams were state champions.
I noticed in baseball (I didn't check out basketball) that most of the second place teams were eliminated after their playoff game or within one game after beating a district winner so that nearly all of the teams that made the State Semi-Finals were district winners.
As far as State Championships go it means that of the 8 that 6 were won by district winners and two by second place district teams and none by third place teams.
Please remember that this was not a total analysis and only two sports in one year was analyzed but maybe some of you may have some opinions. It may not not have anything to do with football but I thought it was interesting anyway.

PPHSfan
01-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Another cool stat. Last year Celina won State Titles in Football AND Baseball. Does anyone know if there were other teams that did this?

Old Dog
01-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Yes in 2000 LaGrange defeated Forney 20-17 in football and the following spring beat them 4-3 in baseball for 2 state titles. There has to be lots more like that, especially including basketball and track.

<small>[ January 08, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Jacket2000
01-08-2003, 07:39 PM
I know in '98, Duncanville won state championships in football and basketball and were state runners-up in baseball. Also, in 3a, in '93 Southlake Carrol beat Cuero for the football state championship and then beat Ferris for the basketball championship.
J2K

BIG19
01-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but with Bandera winning state this year, as the third place holder in their district, doesn't this throw a monkey wrench into your findings? Just a question.