PDA

View Full Version : UPSET of the WEEK - - > Mineral Wells 47 - Decatur 41

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 10:50 PM
...saw the post on the allsports.com board... Wow! I never would have seen this coming. Decatur was favored by 3 TDs.

This is the post from hat42 on the allsports.com board...

"unbelievable!!!First win of year for Mineral Wells,,, first loss for Decater,,,,,,,,,three td underdogs, come vback and score three times in fourth and hold decater on 8 as time runs out"

...here is the link to the thread...

http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/f orum/showthreaded.pl?Cat=65440&Board=HSTXFootball&Number=539691&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&vc=1#Post539691 (http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/forum/showthreaded.pl?Cat=65440&Board=HSTXFootball&Number=539691&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&vc=1#Post539691)

<small>[ September 19, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: slpybear the bullfan ]</small>

VWG
09-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Lots of people happy at the Mineral Wells homecoming dance tonight! LOL

Rabbit'93
09-19-2003, 10:52 PM
What happen there? eek!

The One
09-19-2003, 10:54 PM
I know with 8 minutes left Decatur was winning 34-28. Mineral Wells gave them alot of trouble last year also. Definatley Upset of the week!

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 10:54 PM
I dunno... sounds like Decatur was up 42-27 with 6 mins left and Mineral Wells just kept battling back. The thread says that the Rams held Decatur on the 8 yard line when time expired. I guesss we will have to wait until ChiefWoodman can post and tell us about it...

<small>[ September 19, 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: slpybear the bullfan ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Hey One, do you ever go to the chat room on here?

The One
09-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Slpy,
How do I do that?

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 11:05 PM
goto the start page for the website and then click on chat room...

The One
09-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Can't wait for the Chief to give us a recap. Just heard the game was back and fourth all night and that MW scored with not much time left. Also heard it got pretty rowdy over their between MW fans and Decatur fans on the Decatur side. Remember how those stands were setup Slpy Bear, I definatley can see that happening. I know that Decatur has class and they wont blame the game on officiating but I heard that it was pretty horrible.

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Hmmm... I can see that MW crowd causing the visiting team problems... The stands were terrible...

Well, it isn't a district game... might get the eagles really focused for their run...

The One
09-19-2003, 11:19 PM
If you have to lose in a season I would rather get it out of the way in September rather then December!!! They will rebound and make what I believe will be a good run at state!

Isa4031
09-19-2003, 11:21 PM
I listened to the forth quarter on the radio...I couldn't pick it up at my apartment so I had to drive all over Arlington to hear the end. Here's from memory: it was 27-27 going into the forth...Decatur scored (34-27)...MW quickly responded but missed XP (34-33)...MW interrcepts ball...but then fumbles ball back to Decatur after a couple of plays...Decatur scored with a little over three minutes left...(41-33)...MW responded with 50 seconds left(41-40) Kicked onside kick, recovered and scored again with a forth down (believe it was 4th) 58 yard pass with 25 seconds left (47-41). Decatur drove up to the seven yard line with four seconds left and the game ended with an imcomplete pass. Decatur never went ahead until the 4th, but I don't believe there ever was more than a touchdown separting the two. Again, just from memory, so don't hold me to this!

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 11:22 PM
WOW!!!! What a game!

The One
09-19-2003, 11:31 PM
That is unbelievable, the Chief is going to be HOT! I cant wait to hear his recap!

aamove
09-19-2003, 11:35 PM
WOW what a surprise. Congrats to MW.

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Duh!!! Yeah, my bad for not giving a shout out to MW. The Rams played the Bulls very tough in a game that wasn't settled until the last several minutes.

Good job for beating Decatur and good luck on the rest of your season...

Chief Woodman
09-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Well kinda tired so I will give better details tommorow, but isa nailed it. Losing this game was not refs fault. Defence came in way to cocky. MW was moving at will. Took till 2nd half to make any decent adjustments. Any time you score 41 and lose you cannot blame offense. Although we had chances to score 4 td's that did not get on the boards. The injuries I mentioned in the week showed up. Thankfully all will be back in time for district. As I have said over and over...polls and ratings mean nothing. You have to do it on the field. Hats off to MW. They stayed disciplined when they could have given up. Our boys lost focus on two plays in the last minute of the game and it cost.

olddawggreen
09-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Sorry to hear this chief, but Decatur has a good team and this may work in their favor in the long run. They just need to shake it off, work hard and get back to business. Wake up calls this early in the season can be a good thing.

vet93
09-20-2003, 09:14 AM
I have not doubt that the Eagles will be in the mix in november and december! This loss could be a blessing in disguise.

Chief Woodman
09-20-2003, 04:04 PM
No need for anyone to feel sorry. When you do not perform on both sides of the ball you cannot expect to win. I am of course disappointed, but not mad. Football is such a small part of life that if you win or lose you should be gald we live in a country that has time and freedom for such games.

First things first...give credit to MW. They were so up for this game it was incredible. (They really should do something about the stands though, allowing MW trash talkers in the visitor stands will someday lead to trouble.) MW stayed disciplined and focused. Scoring two td's in the final minute had to be a tremendous thing for them. MW played to their potential. Too bad we did not.

Offence did well, with over 500 yards of offence. Last play before the half and the last play of the game ended with incomplete TD passes, due to excellent individual Defensive effort each time. Had a Jeremy Shocky type drop earlier in the game that would have been a TD. Until this game, the O had scored evey time they got into the red zone. But 3 times this game the O got into the red zone without scoring.

Defense- What defense? Gave up 27 points in first half. Do not understand why it took the coaches so long to make the necessary adjustments, although I will probably find out what really took place when we see the game film Monday. Our guys were not playing with discipline, not staying on thier assignments and it cost us. Our best athelets do not go both ways, but perhaps we should rethink that. Christian would make an excelent safety, and McKinney and Jones incredible linebackers.

Low point...Not covering the onside kick that would have salvaged the "W". After the first TD with less than a minute. We had not one but TWO shots at the ball. Even worse giveing up a 2nd TD with less than a minute while in prevent D. No excuse whatsoever. Just forgot what prevent means and bit on the close route while another reciever went deep. Inexcuseable. Shades of the 5A state title game last year.

Best news...this was pre-district and should make the boys understand what Coach Story has been telling them about not expecting to win on reputation and polls. Seems Everman did the same last year and things worked out OK for them. I said last week that the guys can't seem to put together more than 2.5 quartes together. Well this week the O did well all game. The D will need to step up if Decatur is to do anything in the post season. It is OK to have confidece that you can score at anytime, but like the Packers in the superbowl against the Broncoes, you should not depend upon it. Great job MW.......Work hard for the rest of the season my Eagles.....Lesson should be learned.

PS- my son tells me the MW players were classy, not trash talking at all. Got to respect that.

Chief Woodman
09-21-2003, 09:23 PM
The sun still rises.........

slpybear the bullfan
09-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Chief Woodman:
The sun still rises.........LOL... is anyone still out on the ledges in Eagle Town?

You should have seen the families at Church today... (We live in B'port but go to Church in Decatur)...

No loss is good. But if ya gotta have one that was as good as a time as any.

BTW, that is a crappy visitor's stand at MW...