PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage Cleveland/Bridge City

Old Cardinal
08-17-2002, 09:53 PM
On the first offense play, Matt Peebles ripped off a 70 yard touchdown. BC dominated a HUGE Cleveland team. Cleveland could complete no passes tonight, yet BC intercepted at least 8. BC line is 200-215# athletes on both sides of the ball, not fat boys. The move to offense and defense set change will take a while, but the speed and quality of the athletes will carry them, hopefully. BC is not ready to take on the best yet, but they looked quite competitive tonight.

BigRed01
08-18-2002, 12:33 AM
Couldn't make the game. Old Card was there any injuries sustained during the game? Cleveland is suppossed to be pretty rough this year. It seems that BCISD may have actually picked a coach that can get us in the title game. The big question what was the play calling like? You know the old play calling system, Peebles to the left, Peebles to the right, Peebles up the middle. If this new coach can come up with one more play than that, we might actually get to the state game.-haha

Old Cardinal
08-18-2002, 10:21 AM
We saw some mix in the play calling, he ran from the "I" and also a variation they now call the Wing T. I looks a lot like the original Bill Yoeman, ole original U. of Houston Veer; the way it plays out. Looked to me like the linemen were both blocking conventional and some "veer" movements. It's nice to see intellegent boys that have snap taking snaps and trying a little more intregrate blocking schemes. I don't remember Cleveland getting a first down until the free substitution of subs was taking place. Bright spot was the defense-they intercepted everything that was put up that was catchable for either side....WEAKNESS, kept running fullback up-the-middle to no avail: all too often! They also did not make adjustments on picking up the Cleveland tight end going down and out behind the splits going deep. Against a good tight end, that would cause some problems. Overall they deserve an "A" for effort. Next week they are going against a good stiff 4A, at Silsbee, that can tell us a lot more! No injuries that I am aware of, two good boy did not dress out because of minor injuries, but will be back this week, according to parent-talk in the stands.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited August 18, 2002).]

Birdman
08-18-2002, 02:23 PM
Old Card you are saying that the new coach "kept running fullback up-the-middle to no avail: all too often!"? Goodness sakes, it is a scrimmage and this is what scrimmages are for. Only minor adjustments are made during a scrimmage. On another note, I thought Cleveland's composure and discipline has come a long way in a year. New coach(ex-TJ coach Celaya) seems to have them headed the right direction. They are a young team (one Indian fan said there were only 4 Srs.) and will make some noise in the next couple of years in their district. Best news: everyone came out healthy!!

Old Cardinal
08-18-2002, 05:47 PM
To Birdman: I agree that Cleveland has developed some discipline this year. Yet, they "held" a lot as usual. I thought I had made some good compliments about BC. As to the straight-up-the-middle comments, there are a lot of 3rd and two situations in football and that HAS to be practiced for timing on all quick-hitters. I think that we that follow the Cardinals, are all still fearful of that being THE arsenal on most all plays, like last season. Sorry, presenting what is preceived as the positive and also negative, seems to cause problems, should we say the positive things only? What I preceived was a good start for the season-what do you think?

64sdad
08-18-2002, 08:15 PM
OLD CARD I thought the players did a heck of a job but they do have some work that needs to be done. My son told me that coach Tarver said he saw alot of good stuff but also some areas that needed polishing as well. That is what scrimmages are for, I don't think we are going to see the majority of plays being run up the middle unless that is what is working of coarse. I for one do appreciate your support for the Cards keep the post coming. By the way this is a great site I've been reading for over a year keep up the good work to all involved.

BH_146
08-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Old Card, from the discussion here it seems as thought Cleveland must have shown up in much better shape than when we scrimmaged them a year ago. I am curious about their qb play. Did he stand in or was he ready to run? It sounds as if he may have been on the run alot of the time.

BigRed01
08-19-2002, 04:07 AM
Alot of coaches run the most basic plays they have in their arsenal to prevent the scouts from seeing all they can do. They probably were running up the middle to see "if" they have the line to push somebody off the ball when they have to. It's the most fundamental play a coach can run. It sounds as if, Bridge City is in pretty good shape. I know I watched Cleveland last year, and they are an undisciplined bunch. Hopefully they will make better strides this year.

nasa
08-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Celaya is a great guy, wish him the best. the cleveland administration has tied the hands of many athletic directors in regards to discipline. however, i do remember cleveland having enough discipline to remove the cardinals from the playoffs at katy field. the cardinals have good kids that play hard on the field and compete very well during powerlifting season. wish everyone the best this season, stay healthy and stay on those grades.

Old Cardinal
08-19-2002, 01:04 PM
To NASA, Yes Bridge City was beaten by Cleveland two year ago in the second round of the playoffs. Remember, they had been 0-10 in 4A the previous year. Ole Buddy, what we call THE BOYS were Sophmores anchoring that team back then. Today, these same twelve kids are Seniors and if you came to the scrimmage you would have seen that, those 12 could have beaten Cleveland by themselves.......To B_146, the QB did not have a lot of time, he seemed fast, trying to sprint out, but there was just too much domination going on to tell much about his ability. He could not pass: BC intercepted him at least 8 times- and most of that time Peebles, Bird and Knight were not playing in the defensive secondary.

64sdad
08-19-2002, 07:37 PM
To NASA If you remember that game between Bridge City and cleveland, Bridge city had 2 touch downs called back one was because the ref thought the ball was down when in fact he was even fooled on the play and the ball was in the end zone. The other was when the ref pulled his flag they called the play back and the ref just waved the flag off could not decide why he pulled it in the first place. We only lost by 5 points, does that sound familiar?

nasa
08-20-2002, 09:50 AM
guys, you are right. the whistle was blown early and the flags should have stayed in the pockets, however, i am talking about discipline, not the judgement call of the official. there have been many games determined by an official, maybe this game was one of them. best of luck to the 12 boys that will win a championship for bridge city. cleveland will be fortunate to win a few games this year. again, stay healthy, and stay on top of those grades. best of luck