PDA

View Full Version : Elgin Wildcats, a sleeping Giant

Old Cardinal
07-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Talk about a sleeper, Elgin has a good Varsity return team.... They also have an excellent group, just itching to play, from a JV that 10-0, dominated in District 24-3A. Elgin popped a win over Navasota in the Postseason 22-13. I think they will do it again this year, but by a more substancial score. They whipped Bellville 24-17 last season and will again beat them this year, in my humble opinion. With 6 or 7 returning All-District players back on the field and a host of other experienced players, they should be tough. They had an embarrassing lost to La Grange 13-10, that they hope to avenge this season, now that they have a good feed-program in place. They will have a very strong and capable defense and skill to develop in preseason, on offense!

niceguy1986
07-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Yeah that sleeping giant played the smallest school in its district at home and at half time last year the score was hutto 0 elgin 6. Now that aint too good if u ask me. They will be 8-4 again.

Old Cardinal
07-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Mr. Nice---They beat you 21-0 over Hutto. Only Smithville let you beat them...I think you will have another 1-9 and Elgin will win your District!

exbccards76'smom
07-03-2003, 11:00 PM
I know they were tough when we played them in the playoffs.

redstm
07-03-2003, 11:57 PM
First off Elgin did not whip Bellville last year...they won by one touchdown and that was one of the worst games Bellville played all season and secondly i disagree with you humble opinion because i do not think they will take Bellville again but thats just my humble opinion. I guess we will find out shortly.

niceguy1986
07-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Cardnal, I'm simply saying they aint all that like u make them out to be. Seems to me like your there bit*h. I was just giving hutto as an example. They aint all that. They are pretty much a 4a school! We will see who is right by the end of the year.

Old Cardinal
07-04-2003, 09:20 AM
To Mr. Nice: I think that not only Elgin but a few other JV's could have whipped Hutto....I have now heard conflicting reports on the Bellville/Elgin game-some Elgin claims' are-- they should have beat you 2 or 3 TD's and it was a bad game for them. It ought to be a good game this year, but I think Elgin will win again!

the tigers are back
07-04-2003, 12:39 PM
We'll i think alot of people gonna have to eat alot of words when that time come. When you prepel your educated guess of beating a team and you do not succeed; oh my... what a slap in the face, but of course some of us probably want admitt they were wrong; nevertheless time will tell.

Owen B
07-04-2003, 01:38 PM
They had an embarrassing lost to La Grange 13-10...Not many people would consider it embarrassing for a team that didn't make the playoffs the year before and four of the previous five years to lose only one district game, by only three points, to the 2000 D2 State champ and 2001 D2 runner-up.

niceguy1986
07-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Cardinal, We are talking about Elgin and u sit here and smack on Hutto. You have no reason to do that. I was simply saying that i was at that game and half time it was 6-0 and I don't think they are as good as u are making them sound. They are pretty much a 4a school! So you going off talking about Jv teams beating Hutto is just making u look bad.

big daddy russ
07-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Does Isom return or was he a senior?

Old Cardinal
07-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Sorry Mr Niceguy: I was just giving you a little "shock treatment" for calling me a name. Have a good season for your Senior year. I just wrote the article because I think Elgin has worked real hard and are poised to have a couple of good years, and never get any recognition. I really know nothing about Hutto or Smithville..... I would like to see the Elgin games against La Grange and also, against Bellville.

the tigers are back
07-04-2003, 08:32 PM
I agree with you on those two games, but i would rather see the game between bellville and rice; now that was a thriller. I will be at that game if my "GOD" is willimg.I here talk that altar,rice is looking for a 16-0 year run ,and we know that everyone can't have a undefeated season we are looking for a undefeated season too, but we know that it is impossible for every team to have a perfect season right.Oh yeah... i would love to see bellville and marlin in a rematch; and yes we want lagrange,navasota,and yes bellville. I hope that i don't stir up the pot on this post. eek!

theyoefnshow
07-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Elgin makes me laugh every year. Up until playing bellville last year, in the past they (did I mention they shouldn't even be a 3a school?) would play WEAK austin area schools and win 50, 60 and 70 to 0 or some lopsided score like that. Then district would come and their true colors would show. I love it how every year Cameron played Elgin it was so hyped because Elgin was usually undefeated or supposed to be killers and every year it was the same thing. Ctown over Elgin year in year out. After that, they'd crumble. But.....only time will tell. Maybe i'll be suprised this year.

<small>[ July 05, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: theyoefnshow ]</small>

niceguy1986
07-05-2003, 02:17 PM
I'm glad i'm not the only person that thinks that Cardinal is making elgin out to be more then they are. They could surprise people, who knows but I would not call them a sleeping giant. They got over 800 kids in that school.

Old Cardinal
07-05-2003, 07:24 PM
With a undefeated 10-0 JV and good 9th grade and good 8th grade; whether you like it or not-their time has come for the next couple of years!

niceguy1986
07-05-2003, 08:04 PM
OK then if there JV went 10-0 last year, you think they are going to be really good.... Well then Hutto is going to be really good also cause there JV tied for 2nd in district last year. Also Huttos freshman team went 9-1 so look out ELGIN! my point is, that JV and varsity aint always going to come up with the same resoults.

hornsfootball
07-05-2003, 08:40 PM
I disagree with any claim that elgin will beat bellville. last year bellville played the worst game off the year that game and were on their way to a comeback, but a busted play turned touchdown was the winning score. Bellville at home is tough to beat and i doubt elgin can pull it off.

Chris Hart
07-05-2003, 09:14 PM
I too believe Elgin is always overrated, and this season I believe is no exception. It's true that they almost always have a patsy pre-district schedule, that gives them adequate wins. The truth is they hardly ever beat anybody that is a REAL contender, last year being the exception against Bellville, but most everyone across the state knows that if Bellville/Elgin played 10 times Bellville would win 9. Bellville will beat Elgin handily this year, like they should have done last year. Elgin should be more team oriented this year, but not enough to score enough on the good defenses. Elgin usually has a good defense, but their offensive scheme has never been diversified enough to keep a good defense off-balance which has been the reason they can't put up enough points to beat the good teams. That has been the trend in Elgin for some time now, and I think it will continue again this year. I'm not bashing the Elgin team or past teams, I believe their underachieving is a direct result of their coaching staff. Just my opinion.

Lombardi
07-07-2003, 08:58 AM
1st of all, Elgin is not even picked in the top 25 and hasn't been recently(so overrated). 2nd,Old Card is tooting Elgin's horn and I do not believe he is from Elgin.The Cameron poster needs to worry about Marlin and replacing Pittman.The Hutto fan makes reference to the numbers. He forgets 2 years ago Hutto was playing 2A ball with 3A numbers.The post that kills me is Chris Hart. Why would you openly rip a coaching staff?Do you know that staff? Is that what this board is about? I surely hope not.

theyoefnshow
07-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Ok you're telling me what not to concern myself with yet you concern yourself with me. Last time I checked, this was a public board and I can say as I wish. What I said is fact. Nothing more, nothing less.

Specklebelly
07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Is this bold prediction about the success of Elgin in '03 coming from the same Old Cardinal who said the Sweeny Bulldogs would be a "force in Region 4, Division 2" last year when they finished 3-7?

Everybody makes a bad prediction every now and again but come on. Elgin should make the playoffs because their district is terrible and they have so many students. Then they will draw either Bellville or Navasota out of one of the most competitive districts in the state. Elgin cant beat either of these teams. Bellville wont allow a repeat of last year's regular season game and Navasota will be a very tough team to knock off. They should be much more consistent than last year when they would go from playing a great game to not showing up the next week. Elgin will be one and done in my opinion.

Lombardi
07-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Let me state a fact yoe. Had the premier player in central texas and quality surrounding cast and don't do squat in the playoffs.

Old Cardinal
07-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi Specklebelly: Glad to see you Rice folks talking about Sweeny again....I remember when I said that Sweeny might well beat Rice, and they did 29-22! You, in particular, made fun of that prediction. You would not respond to any of the messages that I sent you, when Sweeny sent you packing! Glad to hear you are cocky once again, do you think you will lose to Sweeny once again this season?...By the way you Rice guys said Elgin could not beat Bellville or Navasota last year but they did! Bet all three teams can beat Rice this season...

<small>[ July 07, 2003, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Big Cheese
07-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Specklebelly, How can you say that Elgin's District is terrible? Yeah the district may not be Bellville, Navasota, Sealy but still La Grange, Giddings, Manor and Elgin are all big contenders in that district and they aren't teams that don't win. All four of those teams had an okay season last year with three very skilled teams making the playoffs. I just don't see how you can call the district terrible.

Chris Hart
07-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Lombardi:
1st of all, Elgin is not even picked in the top 25 and hasn't been recently(so overrated). 2nd,Old Card is tooting Elgin's horn and I do not believe he is from Elgin.The Cameron poster needs to worry about Marlin and replacing Pittman.The Hutto fan makes reference to the numbers. He forgets 2 years ago Hutto was playing 2A ball with 3A numbers.The post that kills me is Chris Hart. Why would you openly rip a coaching staff?Do you know that staff? Is that what this board is about? I surely hope not.Lombardi, maybe you took me wrong I don't know. I am not ripping anyone or anyone's character, I am simply saying I have seen Elgin field some of the most talented teams in the state for years, I mean ATHLETES all across the field, and in my opinion they always seem to underachieve. When you field a team like they consistently do, with mediocre success, where would you put the blame? But I did NOT mean that as a rip, I just have a hard time getting my full thought patterns to come out in words on the screen. If your offended, I'm sorry that's not what I had intended.

theyoefnshow
07-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Hey, a one man show can't get that far on his own. Especially playing a team that was the caliber of Jasper. Pittman has got a big future ahead of him and Cameron has moved on. But anyway Lombardi, when was the last time Elgin beat Cameron? Yeah, you probably don't even remember either.

niceguy1986
07-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Nah 24 3a is a good district. Elgin, La grange, Giddings, Manor all decent teams. La grange did win state a couple years ago and Giddings went to the semi finals a couple years ago.

Old Cardinal
07-08-2003, 11:47 AM
I agree with Chris Hart, I think that Elgin has not been able to utilize their outstanding talent to its fullest. You always squak about someone ripping Elgins Coaching staff; so maybe you are one of them! I made a compliment upon hearing that Elgin was going to open up their Offense this season, and you came slamming back- that I was saying derogatory things about their Staff. I was complimenting them on a progressive move to better utilize their excellent talent base. I think you are too touchy!.... Overall, I think they are finally building a sustaining development program at the 8th, 9th, JV that can propel them into being a stiff opponent against anyone in 3A.

<small>[ July 08, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>