PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum 27, La Grange 23

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-29-2003, 11:16 PM
#8 La Grange is defeated by Yoakum, any info on this game?

bulldogvet85
08-30-2003, 12:30 AM
damn I was wrong I thought that La grange would have beat them they must have played pretty bad

the tigers are back
08-30-2003, 08:08 AM
I don't know about a bad game ,but i knew yoakum would come out on top. I heard how lagrange let royal walk over them in srimmage i knew then what the results would be with Yoakum.On the other hand lagrange is a team that somehow gets it together by the time dist starts. :D

Pudlugger
08-30-2003, 09:59 AM
bulldogvet85:
damn I was wrong I thought that La grange would have beat them they must have played pretty badWell, the LG defense broke down in the first period when the secondary allowed a 90 yard TD on the second play of the game. The Yoakum Qb picked apart the LG defenders in the following two drives, aided by a short field (fumble), and roughing the kicker and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. They ran up 20 points by the start of the second period taking full advantage of the Leps errors. LG coaches made some important adjustments and the Leps started playing good football holding the 'Dogs to little yardage and scoring twice on two long drives that demonstrated some promise from tailback Cody Wilson, and wide-out Brian Menzenmeyer. Anderle looked sharp going in both times for the scores. At half-time it was 20-14 with the Leps having all the momentum and getting the ball on the second half kick-off. The Leps stalled and punted and the dogs made a drive aided by an incredibly dubious pass interfernence call on third and long at the 45 yardline. The ball was thrown 25 feet away from the intended receiver while another receiver bumped into our safety up field so they threw the flag. Nobody was close enough to the ball to catch it but that's how the refs saw it. Anyway Yoakum scored after a few more plays on a beautifully executed option run. The extra point was good: Yoakum 27-14. The Leps drove deep into Yoakum territory on the next possesion but turned it over on an interception. Two plays latter our 5'5" 145 lb MLB, Tanner Welch hit the Yoakum tailback on the option pitch like a heat seeking missle and he coughed up the ball, Pittman scooped it up and ran it in, extra point good: Yoakum 27-21 with 9 minutes to go in the 4th. LG held Yoakum after they ran down the clock and got the ball back on a punt at their 30. They drove down to the Yoakum 20 had an ilegal procedure call on 3rd and short, then Anderle threw an incompletion to make it 4th and 8 at the 20. The next play Anderle rolled right under extreme pressure and found Alby Stiffler open at the 3 yard line . Stiffler made an incredible diving catch at the 2, but it was all for naught as a guard had wandered down field and the play was called back. The Leps turned it over on the next play after the 'Dogs defenders covered well and Anderle had to throw it away. The Lep defense held the 'Dogs who had to punt after 3 and out. The Leps had the ball on their 35 with 4 minutes left. A classic Lep drive took it down to the 'Dogs 17 yardline but the 'Dog defense stiffened and it was 4th and 8. Anderle hit tight end Schramm over the middle on a frozen rope thread-the-needle pass between two "Dog defenders and the big tight end struggled on the 2 to get into the endzone. The Dog defender riding on his back managed somehow to pull the ball loose on the 1 and that was the end of the game for all intents and purposes. Yoakum gave up a safety after the Leps pushed them up to the endzone rather than risk a blocked punt, and to run down the clock. Final score Yoakum 27 Leps 23.

Analysis: the Bulldogs showed great discipline and poise early on and have several talented players including the Qb Starling, tailback and a tough fullback, number 43. The Leps need to do some homework to bring it up a few notches, especially the defense. It is getting to be a La Grange tradition to start slow and then hit a winning stride so I am confident these kids will prove themselves. It was a heartbreaker to come back and seemingly win only to loose the ball on the 1 like that but that is what makes football so exciting. Good luck to Yoakum, a very well coached and disciplined team who always plays tough and clean.

bd62
08-30-2003, 10:45 AM
we start out fast but i knew lagrange would pick it up. at halftime i thought we would have to score at least 2 more t.d. to win.we only scored 1 t.d. in second half but got a break at the end.
both teams will get better and both will be a force to deal with in there dist.
we are very young. #3 and #9 were the only senior starting on offense and we had 7 juniors on defense. we would like to play #43 and # 24 more on offense but they are needed more on defense.
pludlugger your son played well. him and schramn make a duel at tight end. good luck to you guys the rest of the year.
hope you guys didnt have any injuries. a good friend of mine son had a knee injury.he will get it checked out today and hopely he will be ok.

sinton66
08-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Great report, Pudlugger. I could almost "see" the action. Well done! I have no doubt that La Grange will "right the ship" before long. Congrats to Yoakum.

<small>[ August 30, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Hey Pudd, Tiger are back keeps posting how Brookshire ran all over La Grange, I guess he is trying to make a point on how good Sealy must be, I guess we wont know what they have untill Cuero or La Grange, there first two games sould be a walk in the park. I want to know if Royal ran all over the Leps, like Tiger says?

Pudlugger
08-30-2003, 01:22 PM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
Hey Pudd, Tiger are back keeps posting how Brookshire ran all over La Grange, I guess he is trying to make a point on how good Sealy must be, I guess we wont know what they have untill Cuero or La Grange, there first two games sould be a walk in the park. I want to know if Royal ran all over the Leps, like Tiger says?In the controlled scrimage part when the LG 1st D was in Royal never made a first down and LG scored twice (First and Second O). Coach V pulled the 1st team in the 2 Quarter game simulation part and our 2nd and 3rd D guys really let Royal have their way with us. It was sort of frustrating for the starters to watch but Coach V needed to see how the new guys would hold up in a game situation. Royal kids were really pumped as showing up La Grange makes their season I guess. The whole scrimage mentality is for coaches to get looks at new players not so much the the proven starters. LG has a bunch of sophomores trying to move up to varsity and some will be pretty decent players IMHO. Let Royal have their fun, La Grange will prepare for Gonzales next then Sealy.