PDA

View Full Version : House Bill 580

AggieJohn
02-20-2003, 12:40 PM
Haven't been on the site in a while...but i wanted to kick this around. This bill proposed on the floor a week or two ago will potentially kill the U.I.L. it was introuduced by republican representative from the alief area named nixon....it would do away with the uil...sighting that the UT has too much influence beacuse the excutive director Dr. Franey(sp?) still has to answer to the Vice Chancellor at UT......Nixon wants them to make a new completely different body governing athletics and academics with the legislative council containing 10 people...five choose by R. Perry and 5 choosen by D. Dewhurst....i am actually in support of this bill...but i wanted to know your opinions on this bill

HotDawg89
02-20-2003, 04:55 PM
It is hard to form an opinion on this, as I don't understand it. If it is a conflict of interest, can't they just put someone else in charge?

<small>[ February 20, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

Jacket2000
02-20-2003, 05:17 PM
It doesn't look a tough decison at all, to me. Ive already written my rep and told him to vote NO. There are a million and one reasons to vote against this, but here's the biggest: HB 580 would put the same people that are in charge of the state budget(the legislature) in charge of HS athletics....and right now our state budget is a couple billion in the red!
J2K

gochargers!!
02-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Well put, Jacket. I am in the process of firing off a strongly worded letter to my rep. right now. I can't believe that Nixon thinks this will work....He's got a few other bills in the works that I don't agree with.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

<small>[ February 20, 2003, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: gochargers!! ]</small>

AggieJohn
02-25-2003, 12:06 PM
but you do have to realize how much money the uil racks in during a year.........so this could be advantageous for the Legislature......what i hear is that the uil doesn't really care one way or another if it happens or not....

AggieJohn
02-25-2003, 12:09 PM
gochargers!!:
Well put, Jacket. I am in the process of firing off a strongly worded letter to my rep. right now. I can't believe that Nixon thinks this will work....He's got a few other bills in the works that I don't agree with.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!liberal democrat i take it you are!!!!!!

fwisd
02-25-2003, 12:22 PM
While I do not agree with a lot of what UIL hands down, actions have dictated the need for such. Do not want to see the control shift to appointed committees by Perry and Dewhurst. We have had some very out of touch folks on education committees in the past - this might nt be any different.

Old Cardinal
02-25-2003, 12:27 PM
It is my understanding that the UIL voted something like 13-2 to let Strake Jesuit and one other larger school in to 5A rankings, even though they are much smaller in enrollment. So I am not sure it's a legislative driven thing after all...I understand that the reasoning was that these non-TAPPS type two schools, because they can basically recruit, will be in the 5A only...I really have no dog in this fight; however, I am just happy that they did not stick them in at the enrollment level where they correspond. That would be totally unfair, because of the methods used to draw students....I am a lot more concerned with the liberal Democrats that have basically collapsed the Educational System(over the last 40 years) in Texas, and I strongly support Govener Perry and the Republicans that are attempting to alter the course of "Education Decline" brought on by greedy far-left School Superintendents that have driven the collapse. Throwing money at schools has proven to not be the answer anyway. A good report is "Report Card on American Education: A State-by-State Analysis, 1976-2001" by Andrew T. LeFevre and Rea S. Hederman, Jr., Oct 1 (http:www.alec.org)....Personally, I feel, some of the worst excuses of leadership are far-left Democratic School Superintendents that are interested in ballooning their salaries at the expense of the good classroom teachers, and figuring out how to squander the taxpayers money. More money handed to education-liberals won't cure our education woes!

<small>[ February 25, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

AggieJohn
03-06-2003, 12:46 PM
old cardinal i personally agree with you....strake jesuit and dallas jesuit took their case to the ninth circuit of appeals in new orleans( i think) and the uil basically gave in after that...i agree with your left wing theory....i'm thinking this bill should go into effect for the main reason that we need to have a non-bias governingn body controlling the athletics and academics...i was saddened to see that at the one act play state show last year that winning actoror actress in each class got a 25000 dollar scholarship...the only stipulation was that it had to be to UT...now i'm a conservative who really likes UT but if we had the system that 580 is proposing then that actor or actress could take a scholarship of that amount and not have it restricted to one college...think about a great qb in texas...if he does good and goes far with his team he can get a scholarship to go to any school of his choice...but this is not so in one act and other areas the uil supports...the uil is outdated and it's time for a new change....wait conservative, and change....yes...i said those two in the same sentance

AggieJohn
03-06-2003, 12:47 PM
old cardinal i personally agree with you....strake jesuit and dallas jesuit took their case to the ninth circuit of appeals in new orleans( i think) and the uil basically gave in after that...i agree with your left wing theory....i'm thinking this bill should go into effect for the main reason that we need to have a non-bias governingn body controlling the athletics and academics...i was saddened to see that at the one act play state show last year that winning actoror actress in each class got a 25000 dollar scholarship...the only stipulation was that it had to be to UT...now i'm a conservative who really likes UT but if we had the system that 580 is proposing then that actor or actress could take a scholarship of that amount and not have it restricted to one college...think about a great qb in texas...if he does good and goes far with his team he can get a scholarship to go to any school of his choice...but this is not so in one act and other areas the uil supports...the uil is outdated and it's time for a new change....wait conservative, and change....yes...i said those two in the same sentance

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-06-2003, 01:54 PM
My beef with this proposed bill is, who or what is going to prevent the "recruiting conglomerates" aka. private schools from joining the public schools in sports? I pray to God we don't end up like Louisiana with Evangel Christian winning state title after state title, have another Lebron James type fiasco, or just private schools completely dominant over their public school competition.

gochargers!!
03-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Sorry I haven't replied..been off the board for a few days. No, I'm not a liberal democrat; sorry to burst your bubble. From what I understand, Nixon is also backing a bill that would give same sex couples the right to adopt children (a totally different topic). I disagree w/ that. Just my beliefs. I haven't run you in the ground for backing 580, so don't run me in the ground for disapproving of it.

I agree w/ you, TarponFan. I just don't want to see private schools take over the athletic realm in our fine state. I read in the Star-Telegram the other day about a school in Fla. or La. w/ an enrollment of 12 or 13, and all of them played on the basketball team...sounds a little fishy to me. Then there is the school in Cal. that has won 160 some-odd straight football games...stories like that creep me out. Just hate to see that happen in Texas...

District303aPastPlayer
03-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Actually, there are 2 schools in California that have won upwards of 100 games. Concorde De La Salle and LB Poly Tech. They are in two different classes and have won state titles since 1990 I believe.

AggieJohn
03-07-2003, 10:01 PM
gochargers!!:
Sorry I haven't replied..been off the board for a few days. No, I'm not a liberal democrat; sorry to burst your bubble. From what I understand, Nixon is also backing a bill that would give same sex couples the right to adopt children (a totally different topic). I disagree w/ that. Just my beliefs. I haven't run you in the ground for backing 580, so don't run me in the ground for disapproving of it.

I agree w/ you, TarponFan. I just don't want to see private schools take over the athletic realm in our fine state. I read in the Star-Telegram the other day about a school in Fla. or La. w/ an enrollment of 12 or 13, and all of them played on the basketball team...sounds a little fishy to me. Then there is the school in Cal. that has won 160 some-odd straight football games...stories like that creep me out. Just hate to see that happen in Texas...hey man just playing with the whole liberal democrat mess....anyway.....yeah..i don't think that the private schools should play with public schools..in my opinion the legislature should have another bill in which they take care of tapps too..and have two distinctively autonomous governing bodies with rules constricted towards them....