PDA

View Full Version : GIRLS SOFTBALL SCRIMMAGES

Old Cardinal
02-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Since this is the off season for football, and everything has slowed down on the board. I just want to start a post on Softball, during the season. Well here goes: Port Arthur Memorial Titans(a new 5A school formed by Thomas Jefferson HS, Port Acres HS, and Lincoln HS) came to play Bridge City this morning. The score was 25-0 BC, in a short period of time under the pitching of Megan Godwin, Sophmore sensation. At that point Laura Gremillion BC's All State Senior pitcher came to the mound and struck out batter after batter, with her 62 mph fastball and her array of professional style alternate pitches. I have seen some good Softball HS teams, but at this point in the season-this is the best. They have 6 Select team players on BCs squad that can really hit a ball. TELL US ABOUT YOUR TEAMS EARLY SCRIMMAGES?

QBKilla
02-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Old Card I think when you said Port Acres, you meant Port Arthur S.F.A. They were 2A at the time all these schools were combined.

Old Cardinal
02-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Yes Killa you are right,
but SFA was in the town of Port Acres and in the Port Arthur School District. We always called it the Port Acres team there in 2A. I was surprised that the merger of 3 schools has not produced some superteams in all sports.

District303aPastPlayer
02-10-2003, 12:22 PM
The same thing happened a couple of years ago when Victoria High Merged with Stroman High to form the Victoria Memorial High School which is not home to the Vipers. Memorial High is doing a lot better after getting used to the system. IT takes time for all the players to get used to the system. Look for new High Schools like this to start getting into a groove and dominating.

Phil C
02-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Old the Kingsville Lady Brahmas of South Texas should be very good this year. They lost last year by one run in the playoffs to the team that lost the state championship by one run. They are returning most of their starters. The main player they lost was their pitcher but my bet is that with their talent they will have a good pitcher this year and be a strong challenge to win the State 4A Softball State Championship this year. In 2A the George West Lady Longhorns are returning most of their players including their pitcher from a team that did very good in the 3A playoffs this year so I expect that they will also challenge for the State 2A softball championship this year.

Old Cardinal
02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
To Phil C: Sound like Kingsville is a good Softball 4A program! Down here, in 4A, Port Neches-Groves is the superior team. Coming off a 30 win District Championship season and returning 10 players they could be very tough. Pitcher Shalayne Blythe and Catcher Ashley Bean could be All-Staters, both are Juniors. They went several rounds the last two seasons. I can't wait for them to tie it on with the Bridge City girls-that should be some preseason game this year!....The fastest pitcher at 13 years of age in Texas Select ASA/AFA softball was at the San Marcos tournament last year. She was from George Town. She was pitching for a (14 and under), San Antonio team. If she is eligible as a Freshman in HS, she will give 2A school fits.

Old Cardinal
02-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Thoughts on a few teams!!!!Hardin-Jefferson-A program trying to turn around-- Stars: Emily Bess and Laura Febregas......Jasper Went two round in the 4A Playoffs. Six returnees, they have two pitchers back and the their big bats will be Autumn Eddins and Crystal Garcia......Orangefield, a fourth plase finisher willmake the Playoffs based on a large contingent of returning young players from last year. Sherri Broussard is their solid Coach....Coach Marci Anderson will direct the Buna Cougars who returners the bulk of their players, and look forward to a playof berth.

Old Cardinal
02-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Well tonight the BC Girls Softball team prevailed over a probable 4A Playoff team, the Lumberton Raiders. At the end of the 3rd inning, it was 12-0, under the pitching of Megan Godwin, Sophomore wonder from BC. At that point BC sent in the subs and let All-State Senior Pitcher Laura Gremillion, dazzle the crowd, for two more innings.....In the JV game, BC won 11-1 under the pitching of Elaina Clinton, a freshman, good enough to be the starting pitcher for many teams- in the 3a State ranks....Some are saying that BC's JV would make the Playoffs in their 21-3A District-if allowed to play...Lumberton has one of the best Shortstops in 4A, in Tara Hamilton. Tara was seen by College scouts playing Select ASA/AFA Fastpitch, in major tournaments, and has been signed by the University of Wisconsin. Tara batted .520 last season....TELL US ABOUT YOUR TEAM?

Phil C
02-12-2003, 10:49 AM
I just found out that in the Sinton - Flour Bluff scrimage the Sinton Lady Pirates won 6 to 4 and looked good. Flour Bluff is in 4A but they are in the same district as the Powerful Kingsville Lady Brahma softball team.

Old Cardinal
02-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Boy Phil, I would love to see Kingsville and PN-G play a softball game! Is Sinton the best girls softball team in Region 4? Who else is strong. The ole salts of Softball are saying that Bridge City and Splendora are the best two teams in Texas at this point in time. I look for Kirbyville and Jasper to be real challenges....Phil, I still have a hard time believing what I saw last night, Megan Godwin went 2-2 with two singles and one rbi;Laura Gremillion went 2-3 with two doubles and 2 rbi's; Jessica Lemoine,the ace catcher, went 2-4 with 2 doubles and two rbi's, and Hayley Simonton with two singles and two rbi's. Now that is against good Select team trained ASA/AFA year-round pitchers!

Dulce04
02-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Old Cardinal:
Since this is the off season for football, and everything has slowed down on the board. I just want to start a post on Softball, during the season. Well here goes: Port Arthur Memorial Titans(a new 5A school formed by Thomas Jefferson HS, Port Acres HS, and Lincoln HS) came to play Bridge City this morning. The score was 25-0 BC, in a short period of time under the pitching of Megan Godwin, Sophmore sensation. At that point Laura Gremillion BC's All State Senior pitcher came to the mound and struck out batter after batter, with her 62 mph fastball and her array of professional style alternate pitches. I have seen some good Softball HS teams, but at this point in the season-this is the best. They have 6 Select team players on BCs squad that can really hit a ball. TELL US ABOUT YOUR TEAMS EARLY SCRIMMAGES?

Dulce04
02-15-2003, 11:49 PM
The Caldwell Lady Hornet softball team also has a pitcher who pitches 65-70 mph. We're going to go far this year in a play offs!!!!

Phil C
02-16-2003, 09:34 PM
Old I don't know if the Sinton girls are the best 3A softball team in region 4 or not. There are a lot of new players plus they have a new head coach (even though I am sure he is a good one). They have the potential to be good but right now they are getting experience and the coach is checking them out at different positions. If George West was still in 3A I would say they would be strong contenders to be the best softball team in region 4 in 3A but they have been reclassified to 2A and I think they are state contenders there because they had a great team last year and returned all their starters. Right now it is too early in the year to see who will be the top team in 3A in region 4.

Old Cardinal
02-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Boy, that George West ought to be good in 2A. I was looking back at one of my post and I inadvertently said "George Town"; I meant George West. That girl from that town will be a Freshman, so they will have an ongoing good 2A program. I saw her Dad clock the girl in a (14 & under game), with the radar gun, and she was awesome. He later came over and clocked by grandaughter as an 11 year old at that time, up at a little above 50 mph's.

<small>[ February 16, 2003, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>