PDA

View Full Version : who is the top quarterback in region 1

sm51
06-26-2002, 11:36 AM
there are quiet a few good qb's in region 1 and i was wondering who all yall thought was the best in the region?

vet93
06-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Passer...Daugherty (Bridgeport)

Runner...Carillo (Sweetwater)

Ram
06-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Jones - Snyder 689 yards on 105 carries in 8 games vs 4A teams in region 1 .thats a 6.6yd/ average. the sweetwater QB had 900 yds on 260 carries in 10 games or may be playoff games as well.. thats 3.5 yds per carrie. No question who the best is in district 3 3A at least.

rholl
06-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Not going to argue about who is the best.
I'll just put out these numbers
Benton from Everman
Rushing 82-622 7.6 ypc with 19 Td's
Passing 34-68 for 618 13 TD's no Ints
Thats putting the ball in the endzone 32 times.

Ram
06-26-2002, 05:10 PM
rholl

those are good numbers ,for 15 games vs 3A opponents very respectable

vet93
06-26-2002, 05:26 PM
RAM...I was almost sure that Carrillo had more rushing yards than 900. I could be wrong. Maybe some of the Sweetwater guys could help.

Originally posted by Ram:
Jones - Snyder 689 yards on 105 carries in 8 games vs 4A teams in region 1 .thats a 6.6yd/ average. the sweetwater QB had 900 yds on 260 carries in 10 games or may be playoff games as well.. thats 3.5 yds per carrie. No question who the best is in district 3 3A at least.

Ram
06-26-2002, 08:24 PM
vet93

he may have 920s of 930s but in the low 900s out of 260 something carries. I do remember he had about 3.5 ypc he caried the ball nearly all the time for them last year and probably will again this year.. He is a good QB.. no doubt . BUT if you stack up his numbers next to T.J. Jones Numbers in the 8 games and number of carries , then there is no contest.. not sure on his passing numbers except that 1/3 of all his pass completions were TDs. especialy when you consider Jones faced better teams. Plainview, Lake View, Lubbock Estacado , Andrews , Wylie,Big Spring, Friendship ect.. The real test will come on the friday they meet in Snyder on game day.... I believe that will settle it. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

Matthew328
06-26-2002, 09:25 PM
Best Passer is Daugherty from Bridgeport..the best pure runner is Carrillo from Sweetwater..but now I gotta sing praises on my man from Everman Michael Benton who may be the best all-around QB in the region....his numbers don't jump out at you as much..but remember he only played in half of Everman's regular season games because he rotated..but when playoff time came he turned it on..like rholl said he was 34-68 for 613 yds and 13 TD's and 0 INT's in a running offense and he had 82 carries for 622 yards..and 13 TD's...and 4 of Everman's first 5 opponents were 4A schools also..

[This message has been edited by Matthew328 (edited June 26, 2002).]

Ram
06-26-2002, 10:05 PM
we will see wont we http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif.

Eagle 00
06-26-2002, 10:54 PM
The Everman Qb has to be. He won the big dance if any of the others want a shot at the title they have to beat Everman. He is very talented with good OL in front of him. QB's have to produce in the win lose area regardless of their numbers.

bearcat1
06-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Everman had alot of other players besides him 'winning' the big dance for them. I dont really agree with your conclusions, at least on the high school level. One good player does not win a state championship. The other teams mentioned did not have near athletes Benten had to work with. All that said I will throw my vote to Daugherty.
bc

Originally posted by Eagle 00:
The Everman Qb has to be. He won the big dance if any of the others want a shot at the title they have to beat Everman. He is very talented with good OL in front of him. QB's have to produce in the win lose area regardless of their numbers.

wildstangs
06-27-2002, 01:24 AM
Bridegeport QB is the best. I think however if he happened to go down Bport would be up a creek without a paddle. Carrillo is the best in west texas I think.

Red_Dawg
06-27-2002, 12:35 PM
Carrillo from Sweetwater had over 1400 yards for the entire season, not 900. I can get you the exact amount if you want.

vet93
06-27-2002, 10:40 PM
I just got my trusty DCTF and it said that Carrillo rushed for 1911 yards on 239 carries. He also had 649 yards passing and eight passing touchdowns. I knew that he had rushed for more than 900 yards! I am just dissapointed in the Sweetwater guys for not covering my back! I am not even from Sweetwater...I am a Ballinger fan for goodness sake.

Originally posted by Red_Dawg:
Carrillo from Sweetwater had over 1400 yards for the entire season, not 900. I can get you the exact amount if you want.

wildstangs
06-27-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by vet93:
I just got my trusty DCTF and it said that Carrillo rushed for 1911 yards on 239 carries. He also had 649 yards passing and eight passing touchdowns. I knew that he had rushed for more than 900 yards! I am just dissapointed in the Sweetwater guys for not covering my back! I am not even from Sweetwater...I am a Ballinger fan for goodness sake.

LOL...sorry Vet, I still dont have a dave campbell. So I was having trouble verifying. Knew it was more than 900 though!

Eagle 00
06-28-2002, 09:53 AM
If these 2 QBs in district 3 3A are even close to as good as you all are saying it could be a great game in that already tough District.

Crowcooker
06-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Ram, you must be getting your stats from the boys at the ARN. Like you, they would rather those pesky little stats just go away. They make it too hard to justify giving the paper awards to the local boys. Sorry Mark, I only say that because I have very little respect for your justifications. I have seen all three of these Qbs (Bridgeport,Swater,Snyder). All three are capable of getting it done in different types of offenses. As far as who the best is, we may get to find out this fall, but it is hard to argue with the production of the Bridgeport Qb going into the season. Be on the lookout for some young talent at Wylie. Their Qb may be the sleeper in the region. Ram, just keep talking it up, but at least try to be accurate next time. You were way off, as will be most of your predictions.

Eagle 00
06-30-2002, 11:02 PM
Crowcooker,
How does the Bridgeport Qb get it done what type of offense do they run. The other 2 QBs run the same offense, right, option with a little pass.

Eagle 00
06-30-2002, 11:08 PM
Does the Qb at Wylie you are talking about have a Dad that is in Coaching?

vet93
07-01-2002, 08:42 AM
Daugherty's team runs a spread offense. Lots of shotgun and 4 receiver sets. Short passing game mixed with some downfield stuff. If you give hime time, he will make you pay. He has an extremely strong arm and is accurate.

Originally posted by Eagle 00:
Crowcooker,
How does the Bridgeport Qb get it done what type of offense do they run. The other 2 QBs run the same offense, right, option with a little pass.

Ram
07-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Im VERY VERY content in letting the showdown between Jones and Carrillo in the district openern determine who is best QB. Are you Wildstangs/sm51? http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif passing is another matter. but, 1/3 of all pass completions being TDs Is impresive.

sm51
07-01-2002, 05:16 PM
no im not wildstangs
but i have the dctf too and it verifies that carrillo rushed for 1,911 yards on 239 carries, for 18 tds

sm51
07-01-2002, 05:16 PM
no im not wildstangs
but i have the dctf too and it verifies that carrillo rushed for 1,911 yards on 239 carries, for 18 tds

wildstangs
07-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Im VERY VERY content in letting the showdown between Jones and Carrillo in the district openern determine who is best QB. Are you Wildstangs/sm51? http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif passing is another matter. but, 1/3 of all pass completions being TDs Is impresive.

I have no idea who SM51 is. I post on pigskin prep and recently joined the 3A downlow board. I take it you are from Snyder, Ram?

spiderman
07-02-2002, 12:36 PM
Eagle, the quarterback that Crowcooker is referring to from Wylie does not have a dad in coaching. Landers and Martin are vying for the position of quarterback this year. I think you may be thinking of the boy (Keenum) that will only be a freshman this year, and he does have a dad in coaching at a local college.

Ram
07-02-2002, 09:24 PM
Neither one of you wildstangs or sm51 said if you are content with the district opener between snyder and sweetwater decide it.. sm51 is stuttering with two of the same posts and wildstangs is trying to change the subject.. want to answer the question put to you? or want to change the subject....

sm51
07-02-2002, 09:50 PM
I am content with lettin the district opener prove who is the best. It will be a very close even matched game.

Eagle 00
07-02-2002, 10:47 PM
thanks spiderman I did not know how old the coaches son was.

hsguru
07-02-2002, 10:50 PM
The kid from Bridgeport is probably the best pure passer in 3A. The kid from Sweetwater is so shifty. I remember the last play of the first half against Wylie I swear he ran for 15 seconds and at least 70 yards(only gained about 10 from the original line of scrimmage) but i bet every Wylie defender had a shot at him and couldnt get a hand on him in those 15 seconds.

wildstangs
07-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Neither one of you wildstangs or sm51 said if you are content with the district opener between snyder and sweetwater decide it.. sm51 is stuttering with two of the same posts and wildstangs is trying to change the subject.. want to answer the question put to you? or want to change the subject....

Trying to change the subject on what Ram? When you can get your facts straight come talk to me.

Ram
07-03-2002, 12:34 PM
Wildstangs

sm51 (chris) answered my question that I put to both of you regarding Jones and Carillo. he will stand by that . thats great. Il put it to you again. Will you let the district opener between Snyder and Sweetwater deternime who is the best ( between at least those two)? I am . what I mean by changing the subject is answeing my question to you by asking me where I am from. its a simple question and dont mean any disrespect at all by it. I am content letting the faceoff between them settling the debate are you?

[This message has been edited by Ram (edited July 03, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ram (edited July 03, 2002).]

Chris Hart
07-03-2002, 12:57 PM
Not much to discuss about Daugherty is the best hands down and then Carillo.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

Ram
07-03-2002, 01:14 PM
Chris Hart

Best passer? you may be right. But passing QBs always do thier best job on two feet and not on their back.

wildstangs
07-03-2002, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ram:
[B]Wildstangs

sm51 (chris) answered my question that I put to both of you regarding Jones and Carillo. he will stand by that . thats great. Il put it to you again. Will you let the district opener between Snyder and Sweetwater deternime who is the best ( between at least those two)? I am . what I mean by changing the subject is answeing my question to you by asking me where I am from. its a simple question and dont mean any disrespect at all by it. I am content letting the faceoff between them settling the debate are you?

I agree with you. The better will be decided on October 11th at Snyder.

Eagle 00
07-05-2002, 12:41 PM
Ram I agree about the Snyder Qb. I have not seen the Bridgeport Qb though. The Everman Qb is good I saw him on film and watched the State Champ. Must look a the Qb surrounding cast and the Snyder Qb has a very good surrounding cast and if you did not see him the last 2 games when the option game and passing game started to click he was not the same as he was the beging of the year. They did beat Plainview who was picked to win the District. Behind the leadership of their QB.

I am not taking anything away from the other QB just giving you my take on it. With the season right around the corner we do not have long to find out.

As for Dist 3-3A opener setting the tone for the best QB in that Dist my take on it the one with the best Defense will win and that is part of the QB support staff

[This message has been edited by Eagle 00 (edited July 05, 2002).]

Chris Hart
07-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Ram,

My point is this.Daugherty from Brideport came 23 yds from breaking the state single season record for passing yards,and led his team to the semi-finals.All of the other QB's listed in this post, their numbers have been matched and bettered hundreds of times. If a QB can post #'s like 58-59%comp pct.(304-537,4,678yds,35TDS&16int)and lead a semi-finalist all off of his back,I'll take that anytime.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

vet93
07-06-2002, 09:12 AM
Ram...I am only a casual observer of the Snyder/Sweetwater district but I think that your challenge only proves who is the best quarterback or more accurately who is the best team on that one night. I think that a more accurate determination would be to look at the statistics of the two quarterbacks over the course of the district games. That way you can see how each qb performed against different defenses, settings etc...It would also not put all of the emphasis on just one game. Anybody can have an off night or a career night that is not followed up with any consistency. Therefore, I think that the challenge should be: Which qb has the best statistics over the course of all of the district games. What do you think?

Ram
07-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Vet93

I believe your wrong on that. Sweetwater depends nearly completely on Carrillio.over half of all runs were done by him and not to mention pass attempts. Snyder is more diverse in the offencive attack. Yes Jones is a huge part of it but midway thought the 2001 season Snyder had 4 backs in the top 15 rushers in the area out of 4A.. Snyder spreads the ball around more than Sweetwater. so the fact that sweetwater has one horse carrying the load is not the same as Snyder spreading the ball out... The leader should lead the team to victory and the #s are secondary.. Win Loss is the big catagory..

vet93
07-07-2002, 08:20 PM
RAM...I believe that your challenge would easily prove who is the best TEAM, and Snyder could very well be just that. However, I think that judging these two on the basis of just one game does not give us a broad enough picture of their talent. My senior year we beat Ozona (used to be 3A) 68-0. In that game our second team running back had 128 yards rushing. Since that was the only game that he played in for the year he lead West Texas for several weeks in yards per game average. Based on the results of that ONE game, you would think that this kid was a hoss. One game does not give you enough info. Just my opinion. Not trying to diminish the skills of the qb from Snyder. I have never seen him play and would not be upset if he was the best qb in the distict. Final question: How many times did John Elway lose in the playoffs when you knew that he was the best quarterback in the game? What did that prove?

Vet93

I believe your wrong on that. Sweetwater depends nearly completely on Carrillio.over half of all runs were done by him and not to mention pass attempts. Snyder is more diverse in the offencive attack. Yes Jones is a huge part of it but midway thought the 2001 season Snyder had 4 backs in the top 15 rushers in the area out of 4A.. Snyder spreads the ball around more than Sweetwater. so the fact that sweetwater has one horse carrying the load is not the same as Snyder spreading the ball out... The leader should lead the team to victory and the #s are secondary.. Win Loss is the big catagory..

Ram
07-07-2002, 08:39 PM
vet93

Oh, you have never seen Jones play. well that settles that. I have seen them both.So by your standards A QB could loose every game but because he is the only one who handles the ball on the team , he leads the QBs in district in say rushing. that would make him the best QB??? all the while another QB and team uses 3-4 weapons in an does not put up as many yards but wins . but he is the inferior QB ??I dont think so.... let them show down. same type of QBs so whats the harm.

wildstangs
07-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Ram, I know scrimmages dont mean much, but how was the scrimmage last year between Sweetwater and Snyder. I didnt go, but if i remember right Sweetwater "won" the game portion. Once again, I know it is just a scrimmage. But we have so little to compare Sweetwater and Snyder on, except facts from last year.

Ram
07-07-2002, 09:09 PM
yes they did scrimage. I saw it. Snyder moved the ball on them all day. If you were there for it I believe you would not be even bringing that up. Snyder took controle of that scrimage.. frosh , especialy JV ,and varsity... it was an excepionaly long scrimage as I remember. Look there is plenty of time for debate.. but when the showdown between the two happens it will stop one side of it at least http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif the quality of opponents jones faced in 2001 is way tougher than what carrillio did

wildstangs
07-07-2002, 09:14 PM
I think I know which side will be hushed after October 11th. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Ram
07-07-2002, 09:19 PM
Yes.. Wildstangs.. I know what you mean.. I totally agree.

wildstangs
07-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Who did Snyder play in non district last year? and what was their record?

Ram
07-07-2002, 09:41 PM
If im not mistaken .. WylieLittlefield, then Friendship,Big spring Lakeview, Andrews,Plainview, Lubbock Estacado, Leveland. not sure who els.. oh wait.. monahans ( beat them 49-0 ).in the toughest 4A district in the State ( 7 out of the 8 teams still eligable for the playoff spots going into the last game of the season).

wildstangs
07-07-2002, 09:45 PM
If im not mistaken .. WylieLittlefield, then Friendship,Big spring Lakeview, Andrews,Plainview, Lubbock Estacado, Leveland. not sure who els.. oh wait.. monahans ( beat them 49-0 ).in the toughest 4A district in the State ( 7 out of the 8 teams still eligable for the playoff spots going into the last game of the season).

So there was 3 common opponents. Sweetwater also smoked Monahans. Beat Big Spring in a close game. Lost to Wylie on a last minute touchdown.

Ram
07-07-2002, 09:52 PM
uh .. yep I guess your right .. but no Friendship (4A quarterfinals ) Andrews ( playoffs) Plainview (playoffs) Lubbock Estacado ( need we talk about the size and speed of them?) Lake View (though every year) Leveland (probably should be 3A and a good one at that..) want to compare regular season.. Clyde.. maybe Early.... to those?? I love it that you want to compare scedules of last year.. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

wildstangs
07-07-2002, 09:59 PM
uh .. yep I guess your right .. but no Friendship (4A quarterfinals ) Andrews ( playoffs) Plainview (playoffs) Lubbock Estacado ( need we talk about the size and speed of them?) Lake View (though every year) Leveland (probably should be 3A and a good one at that..) want to compare regular season.. Clyde.. maybe Early.... to those?? I love it that you want to compare scedules of last year.. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

What did Snyder do against Frenship? Andrews? Sweetwater had alot of good competition also. They played Greenwood, Ballinger, Lamesa, Wylie. Also knocked a top ten team out of the playoffs in Week 1. All tough teams. Granted we didnt play the ferocious Wildcats of Littlefield, but still had lots of competition.

Ram
07-07-2002, 10:12 PM
wildstangs

You wanted to know who snyder played .. you now know..the question became who had the tougher scedule.. clear even to you.. i believe..you may not want to admit it but you know. now you want to know details on every game... cant cut it with one, then change the subject or add another question lol.. NOV 11?? I can wait for it .. can you? better have more than Carrillio up the sleave though http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

wildstangs
07-07-2002, 10:16 PM
wildstangs

You wanted to know who snyder played .. you now know..the question became who had the tougher scedule.. clear even to you.. i believe..you may not want to admit it but you know. now you want to know details on every game... cant cut it with one, then change the subject or add another question lol.. NOV 11?? I can wait for it .. can you? better have more than Carrillio up the sleave though http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Lol, I was just curious. You brought up that Jones competed against tougher teams, so I was curious as to who those teams were. Both teams had pretty dang tough schedules. Sweetwater just beat more of those tough teams than Snyder did. Too bad we have to wait until October 11th. With it could be September 30th instead.

wildstangs
07-07-2002, 10:29 PM

[This message has been edited by wildstangs (edited July 07, 2002).]

Ranger Mom
07-08-2002, 11:54 AM
Well, I for one am not looking forward to playing either Sweetwater or Snyder myself. We played okay against Sweetwater last year, I think the score was 21-24 or something, but they were tough last year. We lost a lot of boys to graduation, and are having to re-group this year. If we can stay healthy until district starts, we may be alright!!

Ram
07-08-2002, 12:32 PM
through out the 90s sweetwater has been beat by Synder constantly. the only time in the two teams history that Sweetwater has had an advantage was the late middle 80s. the rest of the time Snyder has dominated the match-up. you should know that.. it is why sweetwater has has such a bad taste in its mouth for years. resentment.. its ok..its natural. sweetwater escaped the 4a district and Snyder for a few years but now things have changed. im kinda glad in a way that Snyder has not been given much credit on this site and around the state.. I didnt think it would be possible to "sneak up on people" this year but it looks like that will be possible after all.

[This message has been edited by Ram (edited July 08, 2002).]

sinton66
07-08-2002, 12:43 PM
I have to agree with Matthew 328, best OVERALL quarterback in reg.1 is Benton.
His passing numbers weren't great, but he hit what he threw at under the gun. He was 1/2 the deciding factor in the championship game(that tall receiver being the other half). In my book, it's all about how they perform under the gun.

wildstangs
07-08-2002, 02:17 PM
through out the 90s sweetwater has been beat by Synder constantly. the only time in the two teams history that Sweetwater has had an advantage was the late middle 80s. the rest of the time Snyder has dominated the match-up. you should know that.. it is why sweetwater has has such a bad taste in its mouth for years. resentment.. its ok..its natural. sweetwater escaped the 4a district and Snyder for a few years but now things have changed. im kinda glad in a way that Snyder has not been given much credit on this site and around the state.. I didnt think it would be possible to "sneak up on people" this year but it looks like that will be possible after all.

[This message has been edited by Ram (edited July 08, 2002).]

I dont think Sweetwater resents Snyder at all. I dont have all the records right here with me, but I would bet that the series was pretty even during the 90's. Snyder had no where near the success the Mustangs did in the 90's. Heck, we had a 40 game winning streak from 94-97.

Ram
07-08-2002, 03:18 PM
No there is resentment.. big time and it has been that way sence the early 70s.. you just move to Sweetwater? Snyder has dominated most sports between the two in the years . Football , Baseball,Basket ball track (Snyder I understand took the Sweetwater relays title this year easily ) even though sweetwater (suposedly http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif ) has all the best atheletes.. good luck to sweetwater this year.. I think wylie would diserve sweetwaters resentment more than snyder.. theysome how always squeek under the 4A mark every year dispite starting the year with 940 students in 2001. and then to top it off get two of the most competitive teams in the district shuffled off to another district and fall into and less competative situation....

wildstangs
07-08-2002, 10:27 PM
No there is resentment.. big time and it has been that way sence the early 70s.. you just move to Sweetwater? Snyder has dominated most sports between the two in the years . Football , Baseball,Basket ball track (Snyder I understand took the Sweetwater relays title this year easily ) even though sweetwater (suposedly http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif ) has all the best atheletes.. good luck to sweetwater this year.. I think wylie would diserve sweetwaters resentment more than snyder.. theysome how always squeek under the 4A mark every year dispite starting the year with 940 students in 2001. and then to top it off get two of the most competitive teams in the district shuffled off to another district and fall into and less competative situation....

I have lived in Sweetwater all my life, 18 years. We dont resent Snyder. It is just a really intense rivalry. Snyder has not dominated in Football. Do I need to post the scores? As for Wylie, Sweetwater has a friendly rivalry with them. I am very impressed with some of the nice people that live there. If anyone is hostile towards Wylie I would guess it should be Snyder, considering Wylie has beat them in football the past two years. And Snyder was an AWESOME 4A TEAM!!!!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif