PDA

View Full Version : Over rated (OR) FITP-PS Decatur eeks out a win

Chief Woodman
08-30-2003, 10:51 AM
O.R. FITP-PS Decatur 34 4A Birdville 20

4A Birdville is much improved under new head coach Jim Skinner who came from a 5A playoff Leander team. They will still have a hard road being in the District with Denton, Hebron and Denton Ryan. Their running back who was all-district in that tough group is very good...looks to be about 235-240 and fast. When two all-district linebacker hit you hard at the same time...and still struggle to bring you down you have some kind of strength. They had a big O line...probably somewhere around an avg of 250-260. The Qb is also good, only made one bad judgement. Hawks played a very patient gameplan, seeking to keep the ball out of Dectaturs' hands as much as possible. Hawks had the ball 8 times and scored three times. The Eagle defense forced two turnovers.

Decaturs offense had the ball 7 times, and scored 5 times. Dane did well, running for 2 scores and passing for 1. McKinney scored on the ground as well. The boys seemed to be jelling as a unit, with the O line doing a good job against a much bigger D line. Several backup saw quality playing time, so depth got some experience (Not just clean up duty).

Overall....I give the boys a "B". Both times we did not score we shot ourselves in the foot (Bad snap, overthrow an open reciever for a TD, pass protection break down). "D" did well, but there is certainly room for improvement. Special teams did ok, although one play was kinda close.

As I said prior to the game a 23 point prediction was too high. The final score did not reflect how close the game was.....did not break open until the final quarter. The two turnovers lead to two easy scores.

<small>[ August 30, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

sinton66
08-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Chief, what was the final score? Congrats on the victory.

Chief Woodman
08-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Sorry, I hit the tab button while typing so it showed up as I was putting score on the top of the report. Decatur 34 Birdville 20