PDA

View Full Version : Gobbla2001's Number One Coaching Job...

Gobbla2001
02-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Somewhere like Port Lavaca Calhoun (The Sandcrabs, and no, this is not a joke)...

They're a 24-4A (were last year anyway) school 55 miles down the coast from Bay City...

They made a state championship game in the late 70's (I think), but since then the community has seen nothing but 0-10 and 1-9 teams fielded...

A 5-5 season would be enough cause for a city-wide celebration...

Every time I read the Saturday paper during football season, I look to see if Calhoun won a game, most of the time the results are negative...

They have a great coach now and luckily for him the kids in this school system are starting to find football and other sports as a hobby more than drugs and gangs (yulp, used to be a lotta wanna-be gangsters there)...

There are no high expectations other than winning a few ball games, that's all these people want...

But the way things are turning around in this area and with a great head guy walking the sidelines, you may be hearing about them often...

Cuero has scrimmage Calhoun in the past and it has been ugly, they have never looked very athletic (no matter what OldCardinal has to say) and have never taken the sport very seriously... They play for the popularity more than anything else...

On a good year they'll field a varsity team with 35 athletes, but that has begun to change...

Last year they went down to the wire with Bay City who is in their district... Now we've been hearing a lot about Bay City lately with the WO-S talk and how they made the state game in 4A, but believe it or not, Calhoun was beating Bay City at halftime 14-0 (and my heart almost broke when I found out they didn't hold on)...

Now that the tides are starting to change in Port Lavaca and the athletes are taking football more seriously, this would be a PERFECT job, all it will take is dedication and some serious love for these kids and this community and showing them how bad you want them to win...

Another plus is the money, I have no exact figure on what a coach would make there, but I have two words for you, "Power Plants"... Port Lavaca is surrounded by power plants and other types of plants... You have Alcoa, Formosa, Union Carbide, BP Chemicals, Dow Chemicals and Dupont, all within 20 miles of Port Lavaca... The donations made this school district by some of these plants are almost rediculous... THERE IS SOME MONEY TO BE MADE THERE...

And if you make the playoffs? For the first time in almost 30 years? WHOA, you're a celebrity, not just in Port Lavaca, but maybe the whole state...

This is a great job for a great coach...

sinton66
02-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Have you heard something about Davenport leaving?

Gobbla2001
02-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Sure haven't, but that sure would suck for Calhoun, that's for sure...

Though they haven't made the playoffs he's made a big improvement there... Heckuva coach...

Why, what'd you hear?

Old Tiger
02-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Mine would have to be either Westlake, Midland Lee, or Katy

sportsguru
02-22-2004, 08:10 PM
I don't know why anyone didn't mention Rice Consolidated...From what I heard, if you are an employee at that school,you can drink alcohol in school vehicles and run over cops,and the school board just turns their heads the other way,as long as the team makes the playoffs...Does anyone know of any other school district that would let an employee do that?If so, I would like to know...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-22-2004, 08:17 PM
sportsguru:
I don't know why anyone didn't mention Rice Consolidated...From what I heard, if you are an employee at that school,you can drink alcohol in school vehicles and run over cops,and the school board just turns their heads the other way,as long as the team makes the playoffs...Does anyone know of any other school district that would let an employee do that?If so, I would like to know...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!! :D To be honest, i'm shocked as all get out that Roark still has his job after what he did.

sinton66
02-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Gobbla2001:
Sure haven't, but that sure would suck for Calhoun, that's for sure...

Though they haven't made the playoffs he's made a big improvement there... Heckuva coach...

Why, what'd you hear?Would have been news to me, but then I haven't seen or talked with Gary in a little over a year.
Just thought maybe you had heard something.

sinton66
02-22-2004, 08:44 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:

sportsguru:
I don't know why anyone didn't mention Rice Consolidated...From what I heard, if you are an employee at that school,you can drink alcohol in school vehicles and run over cops,and the school board just turns their heads the other way,as long as the team makes the playoffs...Does anyone know of any other school district that would let an employee do that?If so, I would like to know...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!! :D To be honest, i'm shocked as all get out that Roark still has his job after what he did.If you are a school board member, you'd know you can't fire people over allegations. Technically, he is only "alledged" to have done those things at this time. You would have to wait until the legal system does its' thing.

Matthew328
02-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Highland Park would have to be up there as well..