PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood Fans Please Read/Bad newspaper article about Dawson Wilber

Green Ranger
08-29-2003, 10:31 AM
I read an article in the Angelo Paper that I didnt like about Dawson, basically blaming him for the game. The web site is: http://texaswest.com/sast/sports/0,1897,SAST_4976,00.html There is an article about Dawson as well as one about Ballinger. As far as I am concerned more because of the article about Dawson, the Angelo Paper deserves the finger. The finger mind you that has State Finalist ring on it. Just my two cents, all that paper is worth.

vet93
08-29-2003, 10:41 AM
I don't understand your anger. I thought it was a great piece that showed the character and determination of this young man. Reread the article. It is about Dawson blaming Himself and how he has had to deal with that. Not about anyone else blaming him for the loss. The piece is about how he has put that day behind him and is ready to redeem himself in his own mind. It goes on about how talented he is and how important he is to the success of the football team. I didn't read anything negative about Dawson at all.

pirate4state
08-29-2003, 11:18 AM
vet93:
I don't understand your anger. I thought it was a great piece that showed the character and determination of this young man. Reread the article. It is about Dawson blaming Himself and how he has had to deal with that. Not about anyone else blaming him for the loss. The piece is about how he has put that day behind him and is ready to redeem himself in his own mind. It goes on about how talented he is and how important he is to the success of the football team. I didn't read anything negative about Dawson at all.I agree, great article & what a great show of courage by this young man.

zeke
08-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Geez GREENRANGER, it's time for you to switch to decaf. This was a very good article. This kid warranted a personal interview with that reporter after having a dream season and comin a half inch short of achieving what every highly competitive high school athlete in this state wants and thats a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP that he can dream and brag about the rest of his life...and there's nothing wrong with that!! This kid has replayed that missed kick a million times in his mind. This kid is a competitor and experiences like this is something money can't buy. Be joyful that this kid has one more season and will no doubt be more seasoned and playoff ready.

Ranger Mom
08-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Okay, here's my thoughts..for what they are worth!!

I read the article after Green Ranger's post - with my back up. I was prepared to get FURIOUS!

I thought it was a VERY well written article that shows what an outstanding athlete Dawson really is.

I don't feel anyone is blaming Dawson..except Dawson! Every quote sounds just like something Dawson would say. I hate he feels that way, but I understand.

My respect level for Dawson just went up higher than it already was!!

BULLDOGFAN
08-29-2003, 11:51 AM
I read the article and I think it was well intentioned for what happened that day. I don't think anyone could really understand the true impact of that miss unless they were there and went through the game with the boys. Dawson was all everything and to loose it the way he did and come back just shows how big of a man that boy really is. Most people would have been crushed at that point. Sometimes it is shame that someone had to loose.

He won't miss this time and I hope to see him there.

Green Ranger
08-29-2003, 12:18 PM
I agree, it was a good article, the reason I am mad is the fact that Dawson didnt know it would be written in that text. I talked with Dawson, and he to was a bit upset they did it the way they did. I would not be mad had they, when they talked to Dawson say we are going to put this kind of spin on it. Newspapapers in my opinion have a problem with changing words and what people say. I do apologize, it has not been a good week for me, so to anybody who had feelings hurt, I am sorry. I Just think if you are going to print something for the public write the story. Again I apologize but Dawson didnt know it would be written like that and it was not his fault as in regulation of that game we had a chance to win but somebody jumped off-side killing that drive if I remember right.

Ranger Mom
08-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Green Ranger,

I printed it out and took it to #70's mom at the pep rally. She had a different take on it than either you or I did! She's a bundle of nerves right now, so she saw the article in a whole different slant. I don't think anyone is offended by your comments on the article, I just didn't happen to take it the way you did! wink