PDA

View Full Version : Merkel 26, Greenwood 22 Final

sinton66
11-15-2003, 10:07 PM
RangerMom is supposed to call me with updates.

<small>[ November 15, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

sinton66
11-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Greenwood coming alive and moving down the field. Score was 19-7 at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

1DAWG
11-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a great game, keep us updated Sinton66.

sinton66
11-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Merkel scores again. This must be a pretty good game.

THE BEAR
11-15-2003, 10:43 PM
I thought it would be a good game and the scoring is saying it all. Seems like the final minutes will decide the game. Keep us posted-thanks.

Tanglefoot
11-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Let me know. What's happening?

THE BEAR
11-15-2003, 11:03 PM
What's up!!!!!!come on

MustangMadness
11-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Merkel won 26- 22

Tanglefoot
11-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Hey, I'm waiting. What's the outcome?

Tanglefoot
11-15-2003, 11:06 PM
No,! That can't be possible. What are the details?

MustangMadness
11-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Not sure on any stats details, but from a friend at the game Dawson Wilbur for Greenwood hurt his knee tried to come back in later and hurt it again but that is the final score 26 - 22 Merkel

Tanglefoot
11-15-2003, 11:12 PM
No, that can't be possible. What's the real deal?

THE BEAR
11-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Andrews lost 40-18 to Plainview a perfect season has come to a close.

sinton66
11-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Ranger Mom called and confirms Merkel won 26-22. Said Dawson was injured in the 4th quarter and that it looked pretty bad.

Da Mules
11-15-2003, 11:24 PM
66, do you mean Wilbur's knee looked pretty bad, or the game looked pretty bad. Losing a key player really slams a team in a tight game like this one. Sorry for all the Greenwood backers, especially RangerMom.
Congrats to Merkel; I think I read where it's been about a 40-year playoff drought finally broken this year, and they pull off an upset to top it off.

Tanglefoot
11-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Oh, no!! What are the details on Dawson's injuries?

sinton66
11-15-2003, 11:26 PM
She said the injury looked really bad. That's a shame, Wilbur is a great player. I'm really sorry to hear this. She said she'd be on here in about two hours and that was 20 minutes ago.

<small>[ November 15, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
11-15-2003, 11:27 PM
See what can happen when one of your good players get hurt? Your dreams can get squashed in an instant....hope he isn't hur too badly. Sorry to heat that, RangerMom....Congrats on a great season!

Tanglefoot
11-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Oh, man, you know the game of football is a wonderful thing, but when it comes to our kids getting injured , that's a different sotry. I'm so hoping that this young man is okay.

Tanglefoot
11-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Bandara YaYa, you are so right. The thought of these young men getting hurt in the the midst of battle is just more than I can take. Being a Mom, I can relate to what Moms are feeling at this time.

pirate4state
11-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Tough loss for Greenwood. Hope their player isn't hurt too bad. Congrats on a good season!

Buffalo
11-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Watched them play several times there team , coaches & fans are class acts wish them all well.

Tanglefoot
11-15-2003, 11:42 PM
Ranger Mom, keep us posted on the outcome of the injured Ranger football player. Hope all is okay.

SintonFan
11-15-2003, 11:52 PM
What a shock. Sorry about the loss RangerMom. I was pulling for you all. You guys stick around, ya here?
About the hurt player, I hope the young man turns out fine. We'll say a prayer for him.

vet93
11-16-2003, 12:10 AM
Great game by both teams. Just got back. Merkel came to play and for a good part of the game controlled the line of scrimmage with the two Head brothers at DT and a swarming defense. They had some really big plays both passing and running on offense. Their backs really ran hard and were very quick. They earned this victory though...it wasn't given to them because Greenwood played very well too with Wilbur and Audus. Wilbur's injury did look pretty bad. He got hurt and came out of the game and then he tried to come in on the next series and tried to make a cut and went down like a stone and fumbled. I would be really worried about a cruciate ligament tear at this point but it will have to be evaluated by a doctor. This all happened with about 4 minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Give credit to Merkel for making the best of their first playoff game in 40 years. They were not intimidated and played great. Also got to meet RangerMom, Knightmoon, Mustang22, SweetH20forlife oneheartbeat (or is it hoofbeat..I forget?) and the rest of the Sweetwater gang. A very nice group of young men (Good luck against Perryton). RangerMom is as personable and nice in person as she is on the internet. She is a great ambassador for Greenwood. Knightmoon took a group photo of all of us at the game. It was great meeting everybody.

Tanglefoot
11-16-2003, 12:31 AM
Knightmoon, hope you will post the picture of the group that you took at the Merkel-Greenwood game. RangerMom, sorry for the loss - Greenwood is a wonderful school. Was hoping that they would come out of this with a WIN.

wildstangs
11-16-2003, 12:53 AM
I bet the people in Merkel are still partying. Great game. Merkel dominated the first half. Greenwood went ahead in the second half, but then the wheels fell off. Dawson looked pretty bad, I hope he isnt as bad as it looked. Hate to see it happen to such a great athelete. Had a blast chatting with the 3A downlow crew. Hopefully we can all meet up again soon.

mustang04
11-16-2003, 02:11 AM
MAN it was a great game...definitely worth going to! Rangermom and all you other greenwood posters on here, yall had a good season, wish it couldve turned out better, and i really hope that Wilbur is okay. it was cool meeting up w/ vet93, knightmoon, Rangermom, and wildstangs....i was with all the other guys, our coach gave us a ride to the game....this was an awesome night

Ranger Mom
11-16-2003, 02:17 AM
Tanglefoot
[QB]Knightmoon, hope you will post the picture of the group that you took at the Merkel-Greenwood game. QB]Oh.....please DON'T!! I wasn't prepared for a picture!! I felt old enough hanging out with all the "youngsters" (my daughter enjoyed it though!!) :D

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

Knightmoon
11-16-2003, 02:25 AM
Absolutely awesome game. I really and truly hope the QB is ok. He is amazing. Great game, and it was a special treat to meet all you folks. Glad you made the trip to watch the game. Merkel plays Littlefield in Sweetwater next Saturday. How is that for a hoot? Go Badgers!!!

Green Ranger
11-16-2003, 03:39 AM
Well. . . .Greenwood had plenty of PAIN throughout the season and it finally caught up to them. Two numbers I would like to put out there, 22 and 4, the record of the Rangers over the past two years, I would like to know any teams that can state they have this kind of record. Greenwood, fighting flu and numerous injuries had a good showing. Dawson, is a great young man, regardless of what happens he has the heart and drive to get back in the swing of things. Keep him in your prayers. Merkel, great job, if you ever need an extra person cheering you on please let me know I will be happy to cheer your side on. Keep it up and good luck the rest of the way. On a weird note to district 4-3a, #26, Monahans and Kermit beat by 26 while Greenwood lost 22 to 26. Great job everybody involved in this one.

Catfan
11-16-2003, 04:08 AM
kennedale past 2 seasons 22-4 current 32-5....all teams suffer injury and sickness, we just pray no serious injury to any team....by the way, also Everman back to back state champs, even betters these records plus has had to horrible tragedies each of the past 2 seasons. Greenwood has a geat program and will continue to, congrats on another great year

GWOOD
11-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Merkel came ready to play. Lambert had the shiftiest feet I have seen this year. He didn't seem as quick as the Carillo kid from last year's Sweetwater team, but had the same results all night long--Making people miss him.
I believe that the most impacting moments of the game was Merkel driving 60+ yards with 2 minutes left in the half and scoring on the fake FG as time ran out. They went in with a 19-7 lead instead of 13-7. As the score indicated, that was the difference in the game. They kick a FG or get no points out of that drive and it would have been OT or Greenwood win.
As has happened in a lot of games this year, Greenwood didn't have that spark we have were used to seeing from the opening kickoff. I was pleased with the way they came out in the 2nd half. The offensive line started moving people out and we marched down the field in our first two possessions. The defense picked it up. It just wasn't enough.

callandraise
11-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Congratulations to Merkel on a great game.I have to admit I didn't think they would be able to
beat a playoff seasoned team like Greenwood but they did and it wasn't a fluke.It was a shame that Dawson Wilber got hurt ,he was having a good game like he always does and you have to wonder if he would have led his team to a win if he hadn't got hurt.Anyway it was one of the better games I've seen this year.I don't believe that Lambert boy was playing when we played them in the third game of the season I would have remembered someone like that.

wildstangs
11-16-2003, 08:50 PM
callandraise:
Congratulations to Merkel on a great game.I have to admit I didn't think they would be able to
beat a playoff seasoned team like Greenwood but they did and it wasn't a fluke.It was a shame that Dawson Wilber got hurt ,he was having a good game like he always does and you have to wonder if he would have led his team to a win if he hadn't got hurt.Anyway it was one of the better games I've seen this year.I don't believe that Lambert boy was playing when we played them in the third game of the season I would have remembered someone like that.Your correct. This was Lamberts second start this year. (as far as I know) 2-0 with a victory over a pretty dang good team. Wonder why he wasn't playing all year.

mustang04
11-16-2003, 08:57 PM
well he was their running-back when they played us, chris cobb was their Qb, but they switched them out and realized Lambert was pretty dang good, not sure what gave them that idea in the 1st place, but it worked!