PDA

View Full Version : A Movie Titled Jasper, TX Coming Out in June, what do you think?

pinecone
01-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Yes, some New York guys have written and produced a movie about Jasper,Tx. You can guess what it's about. It was made to make money, so will probably have plenty of inaccurate portrayals of us good citizens of Jasper. Coming out in June on Showtime. Will star Jon Voight (Sheriff Billy Rowles) and Lou Gossett Jr. as Mayor R.C. Horn. I don't know what's in it, But if it doesn't have anything in it about high school football, then the movie is for sure off base. If it has a stereo typed attitude toward or against our citizens, then the rest of you out there might as well know that all of Texas is being slammed, because across the nation, people don't make any distinction. Let's hope it is a good and positive movie, but if its not, lets all tell the media what we think about it.

twinkle
01-09-2003, 08:19 PM
I figured it was a matter of time before this (a movie) happened. Ted Koppel is doing a show from Jasper later this month...Looks like the media will not ever let Jasper "go".

Jacket2000
01-09-2003, 08:43 PM
It's funny that when people (particularly the media) talk about this incident, they forget to mention that all the men involved(victim and the attackers) were drug dealers. I guess one drug dealer killng another (probably over a drug deal gone bad) isn't as newsworthy.
J2K

JasperDog94
01-09-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm surprised that it took this long for someone to try and make a buck off of this tragedy. What a bunch of manure. :mad:

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
01-09-2003, 10:00 PM
what happened in jasper? was it that dragging death?

fred grunden
01-09-2003, 10:54 PM
The movie is supposed to be about the way the community responded to the dragging death. It could be good for the reputation of Jasper if done properly, but I think it is natural to have a distrust of the media after some of the things we have had to endure. Religion should be portrayed in a positive light if it is to be a true portrayal of our town and the Byrd family, and that doesn't always happen in the movies.

j_dog
01-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Jacket2000:
It's funny that when people (particularly the media) talk about this incident, they forget to mention that all the men involved(victim and the attackers) were drug dealers. I guess one drug dealer killng another (probably over a drug deal gone bad) isn't as newsworthy.
J2KI don't know anything about their "occupations", but no one deserves to die the way James Byrd died. But what everyone should remember is that within 24 hours all three perpetrators were in jail, and within a year or so two of them were sitting on death row, and the other one was starting a life sentence. Jasper does not jack around with criminals. And that is being polite to call them "criminals". I think we could do without a movie, but if it is done truthfully, it will have to cast Jasper in a positive light.

OldSchoolBulldog
01-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Jacket2000:
J2KFirst of all, the men who was killed was not a drug dealer. So, don't try to minimize what it that way.
Second, I love the Jasper community. I was raised there. Most of the people are good decent "folks". But, just as in other parts of the country, there are people who are just plain bad.

That being said, My guess is that the movie will play up the negative and minimize the good. But, we will have to wait and see.

My opinion,.... I hope that they show some of the good and bad interaction between people in my home town. And I certainly hope they spend some time showing how important the school and the football team is to this community.

kepdawg
01-10-2003, 02:13 AM
twinkle:
I figured it was a matter of time before this (a movie) happened. Ted Koppel is doing a show from Jasper later this month...Looks like the media will not ever let Jasper "go".Koppel is going to be in town because there is a PBS documentary making it's national debut later in the month.

Two Towns of Jasper (http://www.twotownsofjasper.com.futuresite.register.com/index.html)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-10-2003, 02:58 AM
The media and Hollywood always play up the negative, and pretty much shun the positive. I'm really not looking forward to this movie coming out, but i'll watch it anyway.

Even though i've never been to Jasper, TX before, and don't know a darn thing about the town, the people who live there are TEXANS, just like I am, and if this movie portrays the people of Jasper, Texas in a negative light and make them look bad, it won't be just a slap in the face to the people of Jasper, it will be a slap in the face to every person who considers themselves a TEXAN.

Jason1725
01-10-2003, 03:03 AM
It's supposed to debut the day before.

exbccards76'smom
01-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Jasper is a good little southeast Texas town. And the fans are great people. I just wanna know why do they want to reopen this old wound again. Let Mr. Byrd rest in peace.

pero chato
01-10-2003, 12:21 PM
You can forget Hollywood portraying religion, especially Christianity, in a positive light. Remember, these are enlightened intellectuals who believe we evolved from apes--which evolved from that magical speck of cosmic dust--which apparently always existed. Geez, their god takes a lot more faith to believe in! Anyway, there is just something about weird crimes in small town Texas that facinates the movie makers. On the news right now is the horrific story in New Jersey of a kid being starved to death by his stripper aunt (or whoever she is) and I doubt it will be made into a movie, nor will it be a social comment on their community, nor will the same old stale stereotypes be brought up. They save that for us Texans and southerners in general. I know the community of Jasper responded to this terrible crime and is a better place now because of its citizens. And it is really time to let Mr. Byrd rest in peace. The point is it could have happened anywhere, and apparently it does. I just hope to be pleasantly surprised at the content of the movie and I hope Jasper and its citizens are portrayed realistically. But, since this is a football forum --Good Luck to Jasper next season!

Pudlugger
01-10-2003, 12:50 PM
I would like to think that the movie would portray Jasper and its community in a fair and balanced light. However, this is a lead-in to the 2004 elections and the new "mantra" of the left is that racism is rampant in America, especially among conservitive Christians from the South. We all know that the entertainment industry is the propaganda branch of the DNC. Sorry to say it, but Jasper will probably be associated with racism for along time to come if they can help it. Of course this is totally unjust but leftwing media types in New York and LA have to maintain their own prejudices and stereotypes and project them on the rest of America.

I am curious as to how this prejorative media barrage has effected Jasper thus far. I would think that some good students from Jasper might find it difficult to gain admission to national universities due to a prejudiced view of this small Texan town by those sitting on admission committees. Perhaps that explains the lower enrollment numbers at Jasper H.S. I do not by any means think this is fair or right, but I think it is a perception that has been promoted and enhanced by a biased media with a political agenda. Somehow I am not surprised that they (i.e. the leftwing media elite)would revisit this sad episode in a year before an election, but it makes me angry nevertheless.

Billy Boy
01-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Jasper has spent a lot of time healing wounds. Now Hollywood is trying to reopen them. We all need to boycott this movie and let them know that they need to make their money some place else.

fwisd
01-10-2003, 05:42 PM
My goodness, the movie folks are probably working on their East Texas accents right now as we speak and have been for awhile. I should have hired on as a consultant - moved to FW area 39 years ag and still haven't lost mine - don't care to, either - was born an East Texan and will die one (Texarkana, TX native). Seriously, this movie could portray Jasper in a positive light, but when folks from out of the area (Yankees as some people call them) make a movie quite often the locals are not portrayed very accurately. And,, that could work both ways - how would we portray someone from New York. I hope it is a movie that sticks to the facts and concentrates on how the town responded and came together as a result. And, you're right - can't be accurate if there's no football - if it's East Texas - it's gotta have high school football. Cubs

PPHSfan
01-10-2003, 09:04 PM
I know that a lot of the fine folks in Jasper are probably concerned about how this picture is going to reflect on the unfortunate situation that happened in their town. I also know there are several Texans who are afraid of the possible stereotypical insinuations that may result from others watching this film. Also I will be the first to admit that my political beliefs are somewhere just to the right of Attila the Hun, but nonetheless I would like to say this, before everyone in Jasper tries to lynch poor Mr. Voight before he even has time to try some good fried white perch. This is just a Movie my friends, and even if it is “based on a true story”, it is still just a Movie. Please tell me that you are not going to even attempt to “Boycott” this silly film, because you all know that “car wreck” syndrome will set in, and all of you will want to see if you can see your house in the movie. :rolleyes: All of the folks in Jasper will be the first to buy popcorn and get in line so they can look for Aunt Lucy as she stands in the front yard shielding the sun from her eyes, and looking down the street as the villains turn the corner, driving the borrowed hot rod of the High School quarterback. There will be a roar of laughter from the crowd that watches this film in Jasper Texas, when the village idiot, is caught on film, walking down the street in that stupid hat that he never seems to be caught without. The list goes on but I think I have made my point. Lighten up good folks of Jasper, and remember that nobody cares about what goes on in Jasper except the fine folks in Jasper. All the other folks across this nation will be going to see a John Voight film, they will find the movie intriguing, and then they will forget the name of your town as soon as the next Tom Hanks film comes out. I will close with one final quote that I always use when I start to worry about bad press. “It does not matter if the publicity is good, or bad, as long as they spell your name right.” :p

Jacket2000
01-10-2003, 09:06 PM
OldSchoolBulldog:

Jacket2000
[qb]First of all, the men who was killed was not a drug dealer. So, don't try to minimize what it that way.
[QB]Yes, as a matter of fact he was. He had several convictions and had served time for <gasp!> distrubtion of a controlled substance(as did his attackers). Not that I am in any shape, form, or fashon condoning what happened. Just getting the facts straight. I highly doubt that the incident was purely race-related.
J2K

Old Cardinal
01-10-2003, 10:07 PM
The liberals are the people in total control of the movie industry. Jasper will probably not get a fair shake on this one. Liberals continue to champion inclusiveness, yet force only their own opinions on others, via media or politics, at every opportunity. Man has a tendency to be a predatory animal. This trait can best be observed by watching liberal politicians pull the wool over the eyes of good people. Although liberals want to control the media and voteing propanganda, they are fast becoming the people we have to support, feed, and medicate. Jasper, as a city, will again be a victim, this time by a new hoard of press people, out to sensationalize and make a buck. Jasper, as a community, handled a bad situation, in a very Christian way.... Why don't they leave Jasper alone and do some footage on liberal thrust and idiology-- such as 1. Setting primacy of goverment over the individual 2. The total subjectivity of morals 3. The death of God in public 4. The devastation of the American military 5. The decline of education and rise of mind-control 6. The killing of unborn children 7. Inefficient government bureaucratic spending 8. Attempts at forced income redistribution 9. Teaching children to despise capitalism and free enterprise...Jasper is just a little town that works hard for its profits and does not cater to liberal cunning, if the movie media would leave them alone- they have a lot of love and rational thinking people that don't need Big Shots to exploit them over a tragic issue, that they had no control over.

Jacket2000
01-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Old Card, they wont leave Jasper alone b/c they see a buck to be made. It's very sad, but this town is about to exploited for probably alot less money then these idiots are hoping for.
J2K

pakrat
01-10-2003, 11:24 PM
When I think of Jasper, I think of FOOTBALL,
Fishing, and Rodeo. That's what I thought about before Byrd's death, and that's what I still think. But I have heard of Jasper all of my life and no movie is going to change what I think.

kepdawg
01-11-2003, 01:42 AM
<strong>[/QUOTE]Yes, as a matter of fact he was. He had several convictions and had served time for &lt;gasp!&gt; distrubtion of a controlled substance(as did his attackers). Not that I am in any shape, form, or fashon condoning what happened. Just getting the facts straight. I highly doubt that the incident was purely race-related.
J2K</strong>[/QUOTE]

Could you hook me up with a link or some more info about this? Thanks.

twinkle
01-11-2003, 04:11 AM
Sorry J2K...some of these guys may have had some drug convictions on record but I do not believe drugs had anything to do with what happened on that night. If I am not mistaken, Shawn Berry (sentenced to life) did not have a drug conviction (I thought his one conviction was for burglary). I may be opening a storm of controversy here, but I honestly believe that Shawn Berry's conviction was wrong. I believe he should have been convicted--but not of capital murder. He was a messed-up young man, who found himself running with some really seeds. The people who sat on that jury in Jasper knew that if they did not return a guilty verdict the town would go through even more upheaval than it had been through. Anybody from Jasper want to throw their 2¢ in?

slpybear the bullfan
01-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Three observations...

1.) This is a movie that will not be made for reporting news, but to make $$$$. You can be 100% assured it will be a very inaccurate portrayal. If the producers see ways to "tweak" history to increase its marketability... they will. We have had many, many high profile films about well-documented historic events. There hasn't been a film yet that did not shuck documented history at times to make its script more marketable, (see Apollo 13, JFK, Alamo, etc.)

2.) People will see this film and believe everything in it is FACTUAL. Please allow me my one complaint here... Too many people in this country get almost NO news or information. There will be lot's of folks who watch this flick and think they have heard the "real" story about Jasper.

3.) Jasper is a good town had some bad residents in it... just like THOUSANDS and MILLIONS of other towns. Jasper, TX did not committ a crime, but I do know Jasper, TX plays some great football.

To the residents of Jasper, I don't know what you think about all of this. But rest assured that your fellow Texans think of ya'll as just another town with a good football team in our great State.

God bless and hope ya'll have a little more resolve to get through another round of media weeds coming in to make their bucks.

pinecone
01-11-2003, 04:25 PM
twinkle:
Sorry J2K...some of these guys may have had some drug convictions on record but I do not believe drugs had anything to do with what happened on that night. If I am not mistaken, Shawn Berry (sentenced to life) did not have a drug conviction (I thought his one conviction was for burglary). I may be opening a storm of controversy here, but I honestly believe that Shawn Berry's conviction was wrong. I believe he should have been convicted--but not of capital murder. He was a messed-up young man, who found himself running with some really seeds. The people who sat on that jury in Jasper knew that if they did not return a guilty verdict the town would go through even more upheaval than it had been through. Anybody from Jasper want to throw their 2¢ in?Here's my 2cents (and that's about all its worth).
If Shawn Berry had called the police at the earliest possible time instead of washing his truck and hiding the chain, he might be a free man today. He said he was afraid of King and the other guy, but he did not have to fear them once the event was over. I don't know what they were convicted of but Byrd and Berry had the same probation officer. The heinousness of the crime makes me think they had to be high on some mind altering substance other than the beer they had.

pinecone
01-11-2003, 04:46 PM
More about the movie... It was written by Jonathan Estrin, took him 3 1/2 yrs. beause he had to rewrite it 5 times before Showtime was satisfied. It might have been close to the truth when he started out, but who knows now that it was written to suit someone at Showtime. He said he kept coming back to Jasper and interviewing more people, but he didn't interview me (I missed my 15 min. of fame :mad: :D ) and I never saw any filming crew around town, so all I know is what I read in the papers. But the documentary sounds even worse. The Sheriff said if you watch the first 15 min, you'll be angry and ready to leave. But he said at the end there is some resolution. Who is going to pay much attention to how it ends if you are already mad. And then Ted Koppel is getting into the act by having ABC News Nightline in the high school auditorium the following night (Jan 23), but don't show up. It is by invitation only. That way they can control what they present.

russ31
01-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Little off the subject,Old Card, but don't forget that their are corrupt politicians and idiots in every group of people you can think of, not just liberals. Conservatives, Republicans, Democrats, Liberals, and Christians all have bad apples in the bunch. Every group has a horse's ass.

Pudlugger
01-13-2003, 09:08 AM
russ31:
Little off the subject,Old Card, but don't forget that their are corrupt politicians and idiots in every group of people you can think of, not just liberals. Conservatives, Republicans, Democrats, Liberals, and Christians all have bad apples in the bunch. Every group has a horse's ass.Sorry russ, I don't believe this is about money or horses hindquarters, its about politics. Remember the add during the 2000 campaign sponsored by the NAACP featuring the Byrd daughter, a truck and chain? That was to make Texas look like a state full of racisist reprobates who elected Bush twice as governor. A guy named Bob Schrum, a democratic strategist, produced that along with some phoney black church burning adds in the '96 campaign all race baiting in nature designed to energize the black voters to get out the vote, and sway the independents. It is naive to think this film, Koppel's reporting etc. is anything less than another go around for the 2004 election. It is dirty politics for sure and unfair to Jasper, but just too good an opportunity to paint the Republicans as a racist party (as the entire Lott affair was also). This election will focus on race and it is not going to be pretty. It is dishonest, divisive and very destructive in my opinion.

bc 76
01-13-2003, 01:24 PM
THEY NEED TO BE SEEN FOR WHAT THEY REALLY WERE,RED NECK KLANSMAN.

Billy Boy
01-13-2003, 02:58 PM
bc 76:
THEY NEED TO BE SEEN FOR WHAT THEY REALLY WERE,RED NECK KLANSMAN.This is what we were talking about reactions like this from people who dont't know what they are talking about and are siting on the only brain they have.

bc 76
01-13-2003, 03:26 PM
WELL THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT THE TRUTH HURTS.

russ31
01-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Pudlugger, I don't doubt that that is a possibility, and I wasn't making any reference to that. I just want all idiots to have a fair and equal opportunity to be called as such. :D :D :D

bc 76
01-14-2003, 07:04 AM
THE DEAL WITH TRENT LOTT THE GUY WAS JUST PLAIN STUPID TO MAKE THAT KIND OF COMMENT,BUT I DID NOT SEE BUSH BACK HIM UP IN ANYWAY HE JUST STABBED HIS OWN MAJORITY LEADER NOT IN THE BACK BUT RIGHT IN THE CHEST,THATS WHAT YOU CALL DIRTY POLITICS.

Pudlugger
01-14-2003, 08:24 AM
bc 76:
THE DEAL WITH TRENT LOTT THE GUY WAS JUST PLAIN STUPID TO MAKE THAT KIND OF COMMENT,BUT I DID NOT SEE BUSH BACK HIM UP IN ANYWAY HE JUST STABBED HIS OWN MAJORITY LEADER NOT IN THE BACK BUT RIGHT IN THE CHEST,THATS WHAT YOU CALL DIRTY POLITICS.Well thank God he did because Lott was a very poor majority leader caving in to the left everytime he got an opportunity to bring home the pork to Mississippi. Dr. Friske will be a much more effective leader. "Pick your battles carefully" seems to be a good plan for President Bush. Why go to the wall for Lott when he has been so careless with his remarks to damage the conservative cause? I use him to underscore the left wing strategy, I do not make any defense of his ill-conceived remarks. No one can seriously defend his remarks except to say he was "swept up by the moment" and didn't really mean it, which is lame. Apparently he had said almost the same thing in 1980 so that doesn't float. Jasper is a good community that had a bad thing happen, caused by three very bad people. It is a shame to paint the entire community with the broad brush of racism to gain votes in a national election, reinforcing old prejudices and sterotypes against the South in the process.

sinton66
01-14-2003, 08:43 AM
The movie industry is left wing, there is no doubt or argument with that. I think Pudlugger is right on target with their "agenda". I've seen a number of "documentaries" that varied greatly from the truth as well. To the folks in Jasper, I can only say "wait and see". Also, please remember that as a community in a class action, you can seek redress through the civil court system. And, why not? The liberal left use it to their advantage everyday. If backers of these so called "documentaries" have to fear losing their shirts in lawsuits, maybe they'll start to think twice before funding them. This sounds kinda strange coming from me, I'm NOT a fan of our legal system, but it is useful sometimes .

I wish the folks in Jasper the best of luck in this one.

Old Cardinal
01-16-2003, 01:20 PM
To Russ: I try to champion all good causes but the thought patterns have really changed as I have aged- I see the liberals as parasites on society. Liberal left-wingers, are folks that think they are more intelligent than the folks that earn the profits; therefore, they think they know how to spend your money better than you know how to spend your money. They use the power of the media to try to shift public opinion instead of just presenting the news!....A JOKE...Do you know what a conservative is? ...A conservative is a liberal that has just been mugged!

pinecone
01-17-2003, 12:33 AM
This week's Jasper newspaper brings more news of more media coverage, with Oprah getting into the act. But the items of greatest interest to me were on the editorial page. The letters to the editor contained letters from Betty Byrd Boatner and Stella Mae Byrd (mother of both of Stella and the deceased James Byrd). These ladies are the kind of citizens that have made Jasper a wonderful place to live. Listen to what Stella has to say:

I am writing about the town meeting on "The Two Towns of Jasper" scheduled later this month. Why would the leaders let something like this come to Jasper? My son has been dead for four years. What people said back then is their business and as for the family, we do not want to hear it! There are enough problems in the world already. How do you think I feel hearing over and over again about my son's death? Ted Koppel and company will all be gone back home and we will be the ones left here to suffer and deal yet again with tough racial issues. All they want is show and money. The girls (my daughters) turned Ted Koppel down when asked to be on the show. We turned Oprah down also.
The person who started the documentary (Marco Williams) came to the family under false pretenses. He did not do any of the things he told us he was going to do. We are sorry we ever came in contact with him. Showtime has a movie out that has got my husband and me in it. I found out about it by accident and my husband and I were not offered anything - but they gave some men here $10,000 each. Two of the men were nice enough to purchase books from me and I really appreciate that.
All of my proceeds from the book will go toward the enhancement of the James Byrd Jr. Park.
Written by Stella Byrd

Betty Boatner's letter is twice as long and is full of scripture. She is a very religous person.
She closes her letter by saying she doesn't know much about "The Two Towns of Jasper" video, but if it is going to offend, hurt, or harm someone, then why do it? Then she tells us that if you and I decide to go, let us pray and ask God to take charge of the meeting. Let the Holy Spirit guide our thought and our actions. Whatever we see and hear, let us leave it in God's hand!
In my opinion, Betty Boatner is a class act.

spiveyrat
01-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Here's some info I found on one of Jasper's radio station web pages. I would have just posted the link, but they reuse the links everyday, so, tomorrow you would have pulled up a story not related to this topic...

Interest In Program Not As Expected

By Mike Lout - The producers of the ABC television network’s “Nightline” program are apparently having trouble drawing interest in the town hall type meeting that they plan to hold here in Jasper on Thursday January 23rd. The program is said to be an attempt to examine racial relations in Jasper and how the 1998 murder of James Byrd, Jr. effected the community.

The organizers of the event had first said that attendance to the event that will take place at the auditorium at Jasper High School and be aired nationwide on the television network would be by invitation only with the local ministers submitting a list of those that wanted to attend. However, last week the broadcasting company announced that anyone wanting to attend could call directly and obtain a ticket.

However, the “Jasper Newsboy” reported this week that after individuals with designated tickets are admitted that additional people would be allowed to enter on a first come first serve basis. This week in a letter to the editor of “Jasper Newsboy”, Stella Byrd, the mother of the late James Byrd, Jr. said that she and her family had no intentions of attending the event and that she did not understand why the towns leaders were allowing the network to come to town. In the letter Mrs. Byrd said, “Ted Koppel and company will all be gone back home and we will be the ones left here to suffer and deal yet again with tough racial issues.”