PDA

View Full Version : Barbers Hill

grayfox
11-12-2001, 10:54 AM
I would just like to recognize the players and coaches of Barbers Hill. A third straight year @ 10-0. That is quite an accomplishment. It also must be noted that Barbers Hill has graduated any where from 14 to 20 seniors each of the past two years. They seem to be able to reload with players that are committed to winning and a coaching that is dedicated to winning.
Way to go Eagles !!

df1
11-12-2001, 11:22 AM
Sure their stats look good but I wonder how they will stack up against real competition.I firmly believe the level of competition is what makes Newton the team, they are.Time will soon tell.

RBARKER
11-12-2001, 11:58 AM
Your right df1. We will see how Barbers Hill does. It sucks that we will have to meet Rice in round two but I guess you got to go through them some time. If Barbers Hill can come up with a win in round two, maybee they will get the respect that they deserve. Barbers Hill is a much improved team this year with multiple weapons. BH has two 1,000 yard running backs and a quarter back that can run and throw the ball and the defense has greatly improved the last couple of games. Good luck to the Eagles in the playoffs

[This message has been edited by RBARKER (edited November 12, 2001).]

Matthew328
11-12-2001, 12:06 PM
I think a win over Rice Consolidated will be the only thing that will give them the respect they seek...

BH_146
11-12-2001, 12:28 PM
Maybe a win over Rice would change some people's perception but I doubt it. Two years ago we went to the third round and the comments have continued to be the same. Makes for spirited conversation, I guess.

grayfox
11-12-2001, 01:17 PM
What exactly has Rice done to be the "mark" of respect?
I am not familiar with their schedule nor their past record.
Please enlighten me.
I know this, Barbers Hill continues to win without Division 1 type players or college type players of any type.

RBARKER
11-12-2001, 01:53 PM
Grayfox, I don’t know exactly what Rice has done to earn its respect. I know they returned something like 9 starters on Defense. Barbers Hill's District has been labeled weak (not that I agree) so it doesn’t matter if we go undefeated for 6 more years, if we do not get in the playoffs and beat a team like Rice our undefeated year will be unrecognized by the state. I know this is stupid but BH needs to make a run this year if they want the respect. I think Barbers Hill will show up this year and make some noise in the playoffs Goooooo Eagles.

Old Cardinal
11-12-2001, 02:29 PM
Greyfox, I kind of agree-its interesting how some teams get touted while others are never considered. The Sealy win over Rice was quite expected by many folks. Rice has an adquate team;however, for example, Splendora has played some good teams and has an admirable record- yet absolutely no recognition? Why?

Crow22
11-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Old Cardinal, thank you for the compliment of calling us "adequate". I wish we could play BC in the playoffs. Whenever Sweeny kicks the Red birds around in a couple of weeks, you'll see that our district is a level above what you guys play. The only team over there in your district that is worthy of state recognition is Newton. They ARE the real deal. Rice is also the real deal and you WILL see in the playoffs.

southeastfootball
11-12-2001, 09:58 PM
Well i see old cardinal is back to his old ways after he recoporated from the whippin they got from newton

Husker98
11-13-2001, 10:10 AM
The only way Barber's Hill will get any recognition is by beating Rice, and I don't see that happening. Lots of people think that Rice doesn't deserve the recognition they get since they lost to Sealy. Sealy is a good football team. If Rice had that game back, they would probably win. That lost should make them step up their game in the playoffs. The only team I can see stopping them is Newton. As for Barber's Hill, good luck because ya'll will need it.

TYR ME - I'LL MAKE YOU FAMOUS

grayfox
11-13-2001, 11:13 AM
I have done a little research. I believe that Rice has been to the play-offs only the last couple of years since opening in 1970. They had a couple of 8 win seasons in the early 80's. I do not doubt that they are good -in fact - I know for a fact that they are good.
However, they should be the standard that 3A teams should be measured by. If one is to use a team to measure others by, why not Sealy or Newton or any other team that has been a consistent winner over the years.
A 10-0 season is nothing to be scarfed at - three straight 10-0 seasons are very rare.
Good job Barbers Hill.

Husker98
11-13-2001, 11:37 AM
It's easy to be 10-0 three years in a row when you don't play very many good teams. How many teams have ya'll beat this year that made the playoffs? Not counting the district games. Just wondering!

TRY ME - I'LL MAKE YOU FAMOUS

duckbutter
11-13-2001, 12:30 PM
When they start playing teams such as Ozen, Jasper, Lincoln and Crockett they may start getting respect.

TheSwedish
11-13-2001, 01:06 PM
It doesn't matter how well the other teams play in BH's region. It's survival of the fittest in high school football and Barbers Hill has for 3 years. There arn't many teams who can say the same, and thats the bottom line.

Husker98
11-13-2001, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter:
When they start playing teams such as Ozen, Jasper, Lincoln and Crockett they may start getting respect.

You're right. When they start playing teams like that, they will earn respect, if they win. If they played teams like these, that 10-0 record would be more like 6-4 or 7-3. The teams they were bragging about beating in non-district I have never heard of. Did any of them make the playoffs this year? Barber's Hill has to have a good team to be 10-0, but you also have to look at who they have played.

grayfox
11-13-2001, 01:38 PM
I am not sure, but I believe that Ozen, Jasper,and, Lincoln are 4A teams and are "once in a While play-off teams. Crockett is a good program.
I would like to know how many of you have played high school football and were in winning programs. If so, you know what it takes to win 10 games no matter what your schedule.
As far as beating play-off teams:
1999 - Although Hardin Jefferson was in our district, They went three deep in the play-offs. A good LCM team was beaten by Barbers Hill and I believe they went to the play-offs i 4A.
2000- Willis went 3 rounds in the 4A play-offs and Dickinson was also defeated by Barbers Hill. Kelly made it to the finals in the private school division.
2001 - Dickinson is once again in the play-offs.

Husker98
11-13-2001, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the information. Ozen, Jasper, and Lincoln are 4A. Ozen has been in the playoffs every year since '98, Jasper has been absent a few years, but are back in there this year, and Lincoln made it this year for the first time in a while. They are in a tough 20-4A district. I played high school football in a winning program. I know what it takes to win 16 games. I played on Newton's state champioship team in '98. We were one game shy of having a perfect season. We lost our season opener 10-0 to West Orange-Stark, who was ranked No.2 in class 4A at the time. We ended up 15-1. So yes, I know what it takes to win 10 games, and I also know what it takes to win a state championship.

[This message has been edited by Husker98 (edited November 13, 2001).]

grayfox
11-13-2001, 02:29 PM
Husker- I bet those were fun times in your life. Those are times you will never forget. Newton continues a proud tradition and does play good competion. They face the same problems that Barbers Hill faces- They often have a hard time finding anyone to play them in nondistrict. Barbers Hill has had to go to Livingston to play and to Huntsville to play under squad games because pleple in their are don't want to play or don't field under squad games.
Have you seen Barbers Hill play? Is so, I am sure that you were suprised at how little they are, but how hard and fast they play. Their intensity on the field will blow you away. Playing for Newton would make you appreciate the way Barbers Hill plays. They run a no huddle, multiple offensive scheme and a run to the ball, smash em in the mouth type of defense.

Polysemous
11-13-2001, 02:38 PM
Husker--You can forget your Newton team. They are under the gypsy curse of the Black Eagle. But then again, you know that. It is real. Newton can not win a state championship. It is written.

Husker98
11-13-2001, 02:41 PM
It's the funnest time of your life, no doubt about it. Playing in those big stadiums with all of those fans cheering for you. It's something you will cherish for a lifetime. I haven't got to see Barber's Hill play yet. Maybe I'll get to see ya'll against Newton in the playoffs. That would say a lot about Southeast Texas football if we played each other deep in the playoffs. We will both have to go through some tough teams in order to play each other though. Good Luck!

Husker98
11-13-2001, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Polysemous:
Husker--You can forget your Newton team. They are under the gypsy curse of the Black Eagle. But then again, you know that. It is real. Newton can not win a state championship. It is written.

Polysemus,

You need to SHUT UP with that Black Eagle gypsy curse crap. You sound like some little kid around here that doesn't like Newton. Your team was probably another victim of Newton's and you can't take it. This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.