PDA

View Full Version : District 19 will be tough!

Pudlugger
02-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Caldwell
Cameron
Giddings
Hutto
La Grange
Manor
Rockdale
Smithville

La Grange and Manor will both be lead contenders for District Champs but Giddings, Caldwell and Rockdale are all very strong and will be in the running as well. Hutto returns a ton of good players from a team that surprised everyone last season in D24 so they will definately be the Darkhorse in this race. Look for Cameron and Smithville to turn around their disappointing seasons next Fall as they retrurn to traditional winning ways. This may be the toughest district in Region 3. :cool:

Leopard213
02-04-2004, 02:32 PM
So Pud, tell me why we are in a district with 8 teams and the district to the North, which includes Marlin, has only 5 teams in it. It just looks a little funny. Also, I hear we will not have an open week before district starts.

seasick4
02-04-2004, 02:57 PM
district 19 is not the toughest in region 3, that is for sure. How stupid. look at all the other districts in region 3. Some sure look alot tougher, 20,21,22 are way tougher

Pudlugger
02-04-2004, 03:36 PM
seasick4:
district 19 is not the toughest in region 3, that is for sure. How stupid. look at all the other districts in region 3. Some sure look alot tougher, 20,21,22 are way tougherStupid? Who are you to say that? Sure there are several other tough districts with one or two good teams but show me another 8 team district with as much parity as D19. In an 8 team district you only have three games to tune up before it starts to count. That makes it tough. Then you have 6 teams with plenty of playoff experience in recent years including one that went to the third round losing a close one to almighty Jasper - Manor, and another that has gone to two state games and two regional finals in the past 4 seasons and has a state title on the wall to point to- La Grange. Giddings has not been too shabby either and with their new coach they will be even better next season. You display more than a little lack of knowledge yourself in making that remark.

Manor has the best WR in 3A back next year- Anthony Swain. If I'm not mistaken their All District Qb Kaase will return. Manor killed the powerhouse Navasota rattlers and beat Barbers Hill in a great match last year. La Grange beat Manor in the District play in Manor's stadium in one of the best passing games played all year 23-10. La Grange has 6 back on O (including All District WR Bryan Minzenmeyer, and All Tri-County running back John Hernandes) and 7 back on D (4 of whom are All District) plus several outstanding prospects among the rising sophomore and junior clases. Oh yeah, and a sophomore kicker who won the game against Orangefield with a clutch field goal with 1 second left on the clock in his first game as a freshman! Manor and La Grange are going to be real good next season for sure. District 20 with Sealy Bellville and Rice plus Columbus is the other monster on the block IMO. Next season will be extremely interesting with this realignment.

Pudlugger
02-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Leopard213:
So Pud, tell me why we are in a district with 8 teams and the district to the North, which includes Marlin, has only 5 teams in it. It just looks a little funny. Also, I hear we will not have an open week before district starts.I suspect the UIL would rather have a 5 team district and an 8 team district than a 6 team and a 7 team district. Makes no sense to me though. Cameron or Rockdale belong in D18 IMO, but it will be interesting to play these two as they will bring some real competetion to the district. It makes sense to have three scrimmages instead of 2 with an open week when you start district after only three games. The Leps will start pre-district in week one rather than week zero as in the past and schedule a scrimmage for week zero. This makes the season more physically challenging without a week to heal before play-offs, but it will season the boys better and is good for maintaining concentration and momentum. I think it will be a good thing with the 8 team district.

Tell me what is your assessment of the Leps this coming season? I believe they will be strong not only for the returning starters but because the Lep coaches really excell in developing the new talent. I was impressed with several young players on the frosh and jv teams last season who may move into starting roles on the varsity especially in the O line. I also heard that Anthony Strambler decided to come back and play. We really needed him this past year. Another big dominant OL would have greatly improved the offense IMO. Strambler has a ton of raw talent, size and strength and if he ever decides to give it his full measure of effort will be a standout-possibly even a D1 level OL. :cool:

<small>[ February 04, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

Leopard213
02-05-2004, 12:28 PM
I too think the Leps will be strong this year. I don't know if I agree with Kyle Daniels being the starting quarterback. Don't get me wrong, he is a good athlete, however, I don't see him at qb. Maybe Reece Cernoch (JV) or Hernandez. I also wouldn't put it past Tony to use a sophomore as the starting QB. He has done that in the past.

The now Sophomores were told that they were the team to beat in the upcoming years. I believe with the Senior Talent and the trickle of outstanding sophomores (next year) we will hold our own.

One thing does bother me though, Tony will only have 3 games to get the kids to peak. It usually takes us more games than that.

Chupacabra
02-05-2004, 07:03 PM
seasick4:
district 19 is not the toughest in region 3, that is for sure. How stupid. look at all the other districts in region 3. Some sure look alot tougher, 20,21,22 are way tougherThere is a big difference between having a strong district, i.e. having a couple good teams that are likely to go far into the playoffs, and having a tough district, in which several teams will challenge for the district championship.
Concepts you should understand before making yourself out to be a complete jackass. How stupid.

Old Tiger
02-05-2004, 07:13 PM
How many soph. did they have on their team this past year?

Pudlugger
02-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Old Tiger:
How many soph. did they have on their team this past year?Two, plus a freshman.

Old Tiger
02-05-2004, 10:41 PM
I think this district will be like the old 18-3a w/ taylor, elgin, rockdale, cameron, caldwell, manor, giddings, and hearne

Pudlugger
02-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Leopard213:
I too think the Leps will be strong this year. I don't know if I agree with Kyle Daniels being the starting quarterback. Don't get me wrong, he is a good athlete, however, I don't see him at qb. Maybe Reece Cernoch (JV) or Hernandez. I also wouldn't put it past Tony to use a sophomore as the starting QB. He has done that in the past.

The now Sophomores were told that they were the team to beat in the upcoming years. I believe with the Senior Talent and the trickle of outstanding sophomores (next year) we will hold our own.

One thing does bother me though, Tony will only have 3 games to get the kids to peak. It usually takes us more games than that.I know what you mean. As for Qb here's my take: Daniels has the job to lose. With Daniels the Leps will bring back the option game with plenty of speed to the outside. Daniels pitching to Hernandez would be hard to defense as both have great moves and speed.[remember that move Hernandez put on the Hempstead safety last season? I have it on CD (a highlites CD I made for Alby and Coach Mohr at Trinity) and every time I watch it I am amazed!] However, Hernandez has the strongest arm, and if Coach V wants a balanced O he might go with him. My guess is the first few scrimmages will feature both then in game one and two it will be Daniels. If the O clicks he'll have the job, if not Hernandez steps up. Coach V will want to develop a Qb for next season and beyond and will favor the younger player over senior Hernandez who has earned great respect from opponents at tailback. It just makes sense to develop one player for two seasons and keep a winner in place at tailback. Neiser and Cernoch will vie for the back-up spot. They will get playing time however as tailbacks or wr much like Daniels the past two seasons behind Anderle. Then there's defense too.

<small>[ February 06, 2004, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

Mustang '89
02-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Manor has the best WR in 3A back next year- Anthony Swain. If I'm not mistaken their All District Qb Kaase will return. Manor killed the powerhouse Navasota rattlers and beat Barbers Hill in a great match last year. Kaase will graduate this year but Manor has a very capable QB in Curtis Williams. Probably not as good a passer as Kaase, but is great on the run. (Ask Jasper) He took over for a few series in the second half and put Manor back into the game. Lost two OL (Turner and Hooker) and one clutch WR (#31 Lance Smith). The Mustangs also lost RB Marshall, but #21 Mark Davis will return after breaking his ankle in the La Grange game last year. On defense, the Mustangs must replace third team all-state MLB Bryan Tarvin, CB Marshall, and three DL's (Hooker, Jackson, and Purnell). If they can find someone to fill the defensive gap in the middle, defense should be just as good as last year.