PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Games This Week!!

vet93
09-11-2002, 09:30 AM
Our Lamesa friend has stimulated me to come up with more West Texas topics. So here is a start. There are some great games out west this week. Greenwood/Sweetwater seems to be the marquee game but there is also an interesting game with Pecos and Lamesa. The Ballinger-Merkel game is also going to be very interesting as is the Wylie/Aledo game. Can Pecos get the monkey off of their back by winning a quality game and finally get some respect? Can Merkel upset an inconsistent Ballinger team and legitimize the job that coach Flowers has done at Merkel? Can the team speed of Greenwood bottle up the elusive Carrillo? Can Wylie come off a tough game with Snyder and be ready to play Aledo who upset top ten Forney earlier in the year? Give me your thoughts and are there any other games of interest.

wildstangs
09-11-2002, 09:35 AM
I look for my Stangs to beat Greenwood. I am sure it will be a tough tough game like last year, but they wont lose two in a row. I still refuse to jump on the Pecos bandwagon. IF they beat Lamesa, I will be a believer though. Ballinger and Merkel is pretty tricky. Ballinger beat a top 10 2A school. Merkel is 2-0, but how good is their competition? I dunno, I will say, new year, same results. Ballinger takes this game. Wylie and Aledo is also a tough one. I dont know much about Aledo, except that they got thrown into one of the roughest 4A district in the state. Wylie has impressed me so far though, so I will go with them.

eye of the tiger
09-11-2002, 09:48 AM
good weekend of football out west.

audasmom7
09-11-2002, 11:05 AM
I think It will be a good game, Sweetwater has some talent and they have size (Great Fans) I think what makes them so tough is depth. I don't know if we will be in the win cloumn this week, but one thing I know for sure.. they will know they have been in fight. Where our guys are lacking in size they make up with heart... And maybe, just maybe this week will be like the two before The bigger they are the harder they fall.

[This message has been edited by audasmom7 (edited September 11, 2002).]

liontammer
09-11-2002, 12:23 PM
greenwood 27
s-water 14

just my prediction

vet93
09-11-2002, 03:02 PM
I guess that I will chime in on my own question. The Sweetwater/Greenwood game presents a dilema for me. I picked Sweetwater to win the region and after seeing Greenwood play I was very impressed. I will go with Sweetwater because I think that they will be highly motivated not to lose two games in a row. If Sweetwater had beaten Graham I might have picked Greenwood in the upset. I think that it will be a hard fought game. I would love to go to this one. Pecos/Lamesa is another tough one to pick. I believe that Pecos is alot better than many think that they are on the other hand Lamesa is no slouch themselves. I will take Lamesa by the skin of their teeth (not by 20+ like some polls have predicted). I think that this game will solidify Pecos as a team to reckon with in their district. Ballinger/Merkel is a tough pick on alot of levels. Ballinger will likely have Posey back but his timing and the teams timing may not be together yet. Merkel will be highly motivated to beat Ballinger and prove that they are legit. Who better to beat than an old district rival. They have the team that can beat Ballinger. I will go with the bearcats in a hard fought game in Merkel. The game will help each team prepare for district. I have been very impressed with Wylie this year so far. They blew out SA Lakeview and did what they needed to do against a very good Snyder team. Aledo made me look like a fool for picking Forney in their opener by two touchdowns. I won't make that mistake again. I will pick Aledo in a close contest (this should make the Wylie posters feel pretty good because my record hasn't been stellar so far this year in close games). Good luck to all!

huthut
09-11-2002, 04:09 PM
i think like vet, sweetwater in a barn burner, just like last year, ballinger will beat merkel, posey back and the job coach owens job in preparation for big games will pull the cats over the hump, plus posey is ready to run, and for the pecos eagles and the tors of lamesa, the eagles have a chance here to prove that they are for real, even if they lose, let it be a dog fight til the end. take aledo over wylie

VWG
09-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Everyone knows that to stop Sweetwater you have to stop their QB. Not an easy task to do as Graham found out last week, but they did enough to get a win. I don't see Carillo and the Mustangs getting beat in consecutive weeks, so Sweetwater by 10 over M. Greenwood.
Pecos and Merkel will lose, Lamesa and Ballinger have better teams... enough said.
Wylie and Aledo is a great matchup. As some people have posted on this site, Wylie had problems sustaining a solid 4 qtrs. in their game last week vs. Snyder. If they can't do this against Aledo they're dead. I like Aledo and the return of their starting QB, plus they are playin' at home. Give me Aledo by 3pts.
Other games to watch are Vernon vs. 4A Wichita Falls High. WF High got beat last week and have a decent 4A squad. Vernon beat a good Altus, OK team for their first win of the season and seem to be coming around. Vernon by 7pts.

VWG
09-11-2002, 05:05 PM
Although not a "true West Texas" matchup...
Bridgeport and Pilot Point should be a good game.
Bridgeport and Sweetwater are a lot alike. You stop the QB, and it's like cutting off a rattlesnake's head. No bite.

wildstangs
09-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by VWG:
Although not a "true West Texas" matchup...
Bridgeport and Pilot Point should be a good game.
Bridgeport and Sweetwater are a lot alike. You stop the QB, and it's like cutting off a rattlesnake's head. No bite.

Interesting you say that about Bridgeport and Sweetwater. Most people seem to forget that Sweetwater and Bridgeport met when both QB's were Sophomores. Sweetwater won that decision 38-27.

vet93
09-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Hey Wildstangs...I had forgotten about that game. Bridgeport will be hard to beat unless Daugherty goes down. Another way to beat Bridgeport is to play ball control offense and dominate the lines of scrimmage and then hope that Daugherty makes just enough mistakes to keep you in the ball game.

Originally posted by wildstangs:

Interesting you say that about Bridgeport and Sweetwater. Most people seem to forget that Sweetwater and Bridgeport met when both QB's were Sophomores. Sweetwater won that decision 38-27.

huthut
09-11-2002, 08:43 PM
hey wildstang , thats what crane did last year as they pounded harold jeffreys at them, crane needed to convert a fourth and three inside there territory, and there tight end dropped a dump pass, bridgeport then scored but the cranes rallied and missed a 20 yrd field gold with 1 second

roadblock
09-11-2002, 10:54 PM
Greendwood over mustangs by 10. Merkel pulls the upset w/or w/out posey in the game(you heard it here)! Wylie once again finds a way to win.

tors2002
09-12-2002, 09:12 AM
I will still pick Lamesa over Pecos, but Lamesa has alot of minor injuries that they will be resting this week. I counted about 5 starters in the paper last night listed as not going to play. They moved 3 JV players up this week since theyonly suited out 27 Varsity players for the year.

I still think Wylie is the team to beat again this year. I hope their fans dont beat up their image like they did last year on this site. Everyone remember?

TAMMEDLION
09-12-2002, 09:39 AM
Youll find out who is over rated and underated this week with or with out Possy ballinger plays with tradition behind their back! Merkel has NONE!!!!!!! sweetwater could be beat and pritty bad Wylie TRADITION and great trick plays you never know the game youll never see MERKEL WYLIE OLDSAND turned merkel down when had the oppertunity to put them on his schedual good move for him sorry merkel!

pero chato
09-12-2002, 10:15 AM
This weeks picks are definitely tough, and injuries make them tougher. With the 5 starters out for Lamesa, Pecos could sneak up on them. But I still pick Lamesa by 10. Ballinger will have their hands full with a very good Merkel team, but if Posey is back 100% for the entire game, they should win by 7. If Posey goes down early, look for Merkel to pull it out. The Sweetwater defense will have to step it up to slow down a quick and talented Greenwood team. If they can, then Sweetwater by 3 (sorry about that, Rangermom!) Wylie will have to play consistently for all four quarters plus step it up a notch. The Aledo QB is as good as or better than the Snyder QB, and we had a tough time stopping him. Hate to pick against my Bulldogs, but Aledo by 10. Maybe that will motivate them. And finally, to Tammedlion, I'm not sure what you meant by the "OLDSAND" (Coach Sandifer) commment, but schedules, formally and informally, are worked out years in advance. I'm sure Merkel has no fear of Wylie and Wylie has no fear of Merkel. After playing Merkel for the last hundred years, it was time for some different looks. If we were afraid of getting beat in pre-district, we wouldn't be playing teams like Aledo, Sweetwater, Graham, Lake View and Snyder.

Ranger Mom
09-12-2002, 10:38 AM
That's Okay .. If we win, we win, if we don't, we don't. I will be there screaming my head off either way!! I just hope all games are injury free!!

TAMMEDLION
09-12-2002, 10:41 AM
good point

tors2002
09-12-2002, 11:36 AM
One good thing about the injuries is that they are not all key players. The running back has a twisted ankle and is questionable but has a 3 year letterman backing him up. The other 4 are underclassmen who joined varsity this year but were supposed to fill some big shoes. QB, WR, Safety, and DB are all ok so we'll see. Still picking Lamesa by 17.

huthut
09-12-2002, 05:03 PM
pecos/lamesa, been hoping for a dog fight but it is time for me to predict straight out on this one, pecos beats lamesa by 10

vet93
09-12-2002, 10:03 PM
Good attitude RangerMom. This time of the year a loss is no fun, but redemption is only one game away. Many times a loss to a quality opponent can teach you more about yourself than 10 wins. I have seen many teams respond to a tough loss with the season of a lifetime. The question then, is if the team has character or not.

Originally posted by Ranger Mom:
That's Okay .. If we win, we win, if we don't, we don't. I will be there screaming my head off either way!! I just hope all games are injury free!!

Wtx_coach
09-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by tors2002:
I will still pick Lamesa over Pecos, but Lamesa has alot of minor injuries that they will be resting this week. I counted about 5 starters in the paper last night listed as not going to play. They moved 3 JV players up this week since theyonly suited out 27 Varsity players for the year.

I still think Wylie is the team to beat again this year. I hope their fans dont beat up their image like they did last year on this site. Everyone remember?

Look Tors, every high school team right now has injuries, and back up players and j.v players getting moved up happens to all small schools, thats whats so neat about high school football, and Yes Pecos has injuries to and some players will not play, lets dont make pre game excuses already Pecos by 7