PDA

View Full Version : The Celina extra point kicker

BigRed01
11-24-2002, 06:33 PM
I know this kid must be hurting today unlike any other athlete in the state of Texas. Can you imagine if you were the one lining up to kick that kick with only 10 seconds left in the game and you pull it. My hat is off to that kid. Celina had a great run that will set a benchmark for other teams to follow for decades to come. Things happen like that, but nobody wants to be the guy it happens to. I don't know who this young man is, but I know he feels the weight on his shoulder's today. Of course it takes a team even on Special teams to work. Everybody has to get there blocks, the center must snap the ball correctly, and the holder must line it up for the kicker to get a good shot at it. Team effort, team win or loss, and Celina is definitely a team that has not only impressed me, but I am sure impressed alot of other people as well. Good job Bobcats on not only a terrific season, but a terrific 68-1 record. :)

Old Dog
11-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Great post BigRed01..........something all of us so called adults need to remember. Hats off to Celina (team, community and the young men).

<small>[ November 24, 2002, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

LWFH
11-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Amen to that.

FBmania
11-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Excellent post BigRed01. My heart goes out to that young man and his team mates. Tough way to end it. Celina has proved they can play with the best teams in the state. Hats off the the Bobcats for that tremendous run!

JasperDog94
11-25-2002, 11:08 AM
Hey guys, keep your heads up. You've got nothing to be ashamed of. Now it's time to start a new string of victories.

Chief Woodman
11-25-2002, 11:55 AM
One additional thought on the team win/lose concept. For ANYONE to say that it was this players fault they lost the game and steak is just silly. If the defense had not given up ANY points, Celina wins. If the offense had scored EVERY play when they snapped the ball, Celina wins. Anytime a game comes down to one play deciding the outcome, the team has already made multiple mistakes or they would not be in that position at all. So hold your head up young squire, the team lost just as they won so many games........against good coaching, talent and a little luck.

BullBacker
11-25-2002, 12:58 PM
I know the kid from Celina must feel terrible. I heard he even tried to shoot himself after the game, but missed wide left.

Sorry, I apologize just could not pass it up.
Celina will bounce back next year.

Titans
11-25-2002, 01:47 PM
I agree with CHIEF there. They had their opportunities to score every possession but didn't. They had opportunities to stop D'field and keep them under 21, but didn't.

To put the blame on 1 kid is ridiculous. How about putting it on the kid who missed the tackle on the 3 yard line just before the D'field guy scored?

The kicker is NOT to blame.

It is a TEAM sport.

JACKRABBITS
11-25-2002, 04:05 PM
yea i agree the whole blame isnt on him but he has to have some of the blame...because he gave up 7 pts by missing an extra point and 2 field goals...everyone needs to do their part for a win and he didnt do his part that nite...but also the defense by letting them get down 21-0 and the offense by not scoring when they had good opportunities to...

jason
11-25-2002, 04:20 PM
That's wrong BullBacker....but somebody might want to keep an eye on him.

ej2525
11-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Harsh!!

Jimbotex40
11-25-2002, 04:33 PM
that is retarded to even think something like that much less say it on here, bullbacker.
i guess that youre still depressed about not being in the playoffs anymore, haha...decatur beat yall, and kennedale.

jrabbit02
11-25-2002, 06:01 PM
good job CELINA (68-1)
horrible post bullbacker

Ranger Mom
11-25-2002, 07:59 PM
Bullbacker, while I appreciate your trying to "lighten the mood", that post was in poor taste and shouldn't have a place on this board. I can only hope you are young and can chaulk it up to immaturity. That is almost ROM level in my opinion!!

I had heard that joke before aimed at a pro player, but this is just a kid!!

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now!!

2001GiddingsLB
11-25-2002, 08:35 PM
Um guys, its just high school football lighten up off ol' bullbacker, heck I can appreciate a little humor. You act as if someone died its just a winning streak though albeit it be the best one ever its just a winning streak.

The One
11-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Bullbacker your walking a fine line with that one, but it was kinda funny.

trojandad
11-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Sure can tell the posting people who have missed big extra points in their lives and those that haven't lived long enough to have had the chance to miss them yet........

Sure hope some of these posters don't miss the tackle of the winning score to lose a 5 year streak......oh, wait, they'll never play for a team with a 68 game streak (how will they ever know how he feels?).....or never be brave enough to be the ONLY field goal kicker on the team......seems they'll only be brave enough to have a position that they can blend in with 11 others rather than be that brave so and so that stands out there on an island and puts the weight of some linebacker missing 15 tackles earlier in the game rather than post badly about his defensive teammates not coming thru for him after the game is done......

And GiddingsLB, we're speaking to this now because nobody wants to come back to bullbacker after, God forbid, something really bad happen to that kid out of his heart hurt. Because then, all of bullbacker's apologies won't mean anything. Here's hoping he never has anything to apologize about. If so, he, and you, will only THEN know the difference between a casual joke and a parent's tears. You'll understand someday, my young friend, all us dads were as silly as you are one day. We learned, too, some of us the hard way.

And know this; when the day comes that you understand why we don't want to joke this way, understand that we already forgave you for your off color jokes. We remember that we probably did worse, once upon a time.

BullBacker
11-26-2002, 09:30 AM
Rangermom and Trojandad.

Just because we get older doesnt mean we should loose our sense of humor.
If my little dark humor post upset you then you have my apologies.

But remember it is just a game and doesnt mean anything in the grand scheme of things. So just try to lighten up a hair and I will hold the dark stuff to a minimum.

Ranger Mom
11-26-2002, 10:01 AM
Bullbacker, you are right - it is just a game.

As the mother of a 17 year old boy, I guess I just kinda put myself in this boys parents place. I have 5 teenagers living under my roof and with all the hormones raging here, I have become very careful what I say!! I know how personal they take EVERYTHING at this age, and everything is a CRISIS.....or is it just my kids???

I realize what you said was just a joke, as I said, I had heard it before. And yes....it was funny when I heard it

I will admit when I first heard about how Celina lost, my first thought was I hope that kid can stand up under the pressure of the guilt he has to be feeling.

If I, on the other hand, had wanted to respond to you, then I should have just PM'd you and not posted it publically, for that I APOLOGIZE!!

TRUCE???

Chief Woodman
11-26-2002, 10:03 AM
Bullbacker, Rangermom and Trojandad- let me try to put the issue of Bullbacker posting in perspective. As a Firefighter for 24 years, I can tell you that dark humor does have its place in our world. After seeing the worst human beings can do to one another, or even dancing with death itself in close calls at fires it may be the only thing that keeps one able to function in society. It can be inapproprite in the wrong circumstances, even if the results are unintended. From experience I can tell you that laughing about ones own narrow escape from a fire is a necessary mental relief, but be sure you are not in front of one who just lost their child in the same fire. Anytime dark humor is used it should not be displayed where the one most at risk may stumble upon it. (Such as posting in a public forum). That I believe is the the point that the "older" folks are making. Bullbacker's post was funny, but posted in a spot that could cause unintended harm. A wise man once said that "To every thing there is a season, and a purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted;...." let me humbly state the thought a differnt way...There is a time for dark humor, there is a time when it is not good. Be careful when you use it so that no unintended harm occurs.

Ranger Mom
11-26-2002, 10:09 AM
I could not have said it better myself - and didn't....obviously!! :)

BullBacker
11-26-2002, 10:11 AM
Come on guys. I played High School football once and I know that these kids will be joking around with this in a couple of weeks. These guys take this stuff serious for about a couple of days then its back to chasing girls and hanging out.

Ranger Mom
11-26-2002, 10:24 AM
YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT!!

Back to football!
http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif

DarkWing
11-26-2002, 02:14 PM
BullBacker:
Rangermom and Trojandad.

Just because we get older doesnt mean we should loose our sense of humor.
If my little dark humor post upset you then you have my apologies.

But remember it is just a game and doesnt mean anything in the grand scheme of things. So just try to lighten up a hair and I will hold the dark stuff to a minimum.Humor is the best medicine right now and the Celina kicker is handling this very well.

The Celina team went to this young man emmediately after the game for a group hug as the boys announced that they win and loose as a team.

I am impressed with the high level of character these players have shown to there team mate. Every player has individual responcibility on the field, but,of these players carry all of the responcibility for the game.

This is turning out to be a possitive lesson for next years team as they have this empty feeling of loosing to remember.

89Dawg
11-26-2002, 03:22 PM
BullBacker That is just mean. Funny as ????, but mean! lol lol lol lol lol :D :D :D wink

St. Ivender
11-26-2002, 04:17 PM
I first heard that joke as told by Russell Erxleben when he was with the New Orleans Saints right out of UT in the late '70's. The story goes that upon hearing the joke the local Seguin paper prints "Erxleben Attempts Suicide" and his family had to explain ad nauseum that Russell was OK. The joke was funny then as it is now. My nephew is the place kicker for his HS team and I was already forming words in my mind to console him if he were to have missed a deciding field goal and/or extra point. Bottom line: it is a very stressful nerve-racking position for a 16 17 18 year old kid to be in but one we all dream about. We all want to be the hero and no one wants to be the goat. People NEVER forget the misses that "cost" you the game. But it should never come down to a single kick a single free throw or a single base hit to win game. Games are won or lost in the first quarter as well as the fourth.
To those who are onto bullbacker's back I say: "Lighten up Francis"!!!

trojandad
11-26-2002, 05:58 PM
This board is still going? Geez louise. LOL

To all the Comedy 101 professor wannabes (lol), thanks for the unneeeded dark comedy definitions. I'm sure they helped some. I thought it was understood that lots of jokes are funny, just not always appropriate. I guess some felt they needed expounding that it wasn't the joke but the place the joke was posted that was wrong.

The joke of a pro athlete hurting himself for a bad play goes back to Bobby Lane (who??), and I'm sure before.

"Lighten up" reminds me of what I used to hear from adult white males growing up when I protested to ethnic jokes around black friends of mine. Maybe that makes my intensity on bull and others "dark comedy" in a sense (that was a LONG way for a bad joke).

Also reminds me of days playing in comedy clubs in college when the audience was always the ones that were "too harsh" or "not with it", it never seemed to be the artists at fault. Except for the GOOD artists. They understood that the audience laughed when it was funny AND the audience was appropriate for the joke. No "Helen Keller" jokes to a blind convention, as funny as they maybe in private. Just a thought.

It wouldn't have been any skin off my nose if the joke in an open forum would have fallen into a hurt heart and resulted in a bad occurrance. Thank goodness it didn't. I wouldn't have felt nearly as badly as someone who told it openly. That was my only point. If you don't wanna take the point, knock yourself out. I'm not forcing my place on you and you obviously don't want mine. We're both informed of the other, neither of us wants the others' point of view working in our lives. Let's move on.

If you read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=world&cat=nigeria

you'll get a glimpse of people that TRULY need to lighten up for printed material retaliation, not dark comedy forum critics. LOL