PDA

View Full Version : Could the state championship for both divisions be played at Kyle Field this weekend

Bandit
12-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Div. I - Jasper vs. Burnet
Div. II - Bellville vs. Marlin

I will be at both games.

Murphy Lee
12-01-2003, 11:42 AM
I don't know. The winner of the Burnet-Jasper game still has a tough opponent in Gainesville or Wylie.

The winner of the Bellville-Malin game will then have to play Rice from region 4, which is no easy task, and then most likely Gilmer or Atlanta for state.

I don't think these games will decide the state champion, but it will be a big step towards it.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-01-2003, 11:50 AM
My Vernon Lions just don't get noticed. I think that is the way they like it though. I'm not sure how many more wins over quality teams it will take or it may even take a title game--I don't know? But let me tell you, Vernon has beat Iowa Park, Sweetwater, Decatur, Breckenridge, Bowie, Childress, Altus Ok, Hirschi (4A), Burkburnett (4A), and Brady. There are some good teams in that mix.

Ranger Mom
12-01-2003, 11:52 AM
I was VERY impressed with the Vernon team! The defense is strong, and there was a RB (can't remember his #) that could SCOOT!!!!

JasperDog94
12-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Are there many Vernon posters on here? That has a lot to do with getting some recognition. That or beat the defending state champion.

Murphy Lee
12-01-2003, 12:05 PM
In my scenario, I only mentioned the favorites so that I would not have to post all the other teams left in the playoffs. If Vernon is that good, then they'll be there. That's why they play the games.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-01-2003, 12:11 PM
#5 was the back that has some quickness. Vernon has a good football team. I don't know exactly how good though? Their Offense hasn't put up too many points lately (the last 2 games) but that could be a direct result of playing Decatur and Sweetwater which both had very good defenses. So I guess we will find out Saturday night against Kennedale. If Vernon wins that one and shuts down their offense then I would say that the Vernon team could go the distance.

Is there a defending state champion left to beat?

JasperDog94
12-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2
[QBIs there a defending state champion left to beat?[/QB]No. I was just saying that because you didn't hear much about Wylie before they beat Everman.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Ok I'm with you!

zippy
12-01-2003, 12:27 PM
The State Champion isn't determined until the "Fat Lady Sings". So in answer to the question, NO, the games at Kyle field will not determine the State Champion.

afflac65
12-01-2003, 01:09 PM
burnett is about a 75% favorite to win state in division 1. According to collier-sharp picks the winner of state in Division 2 is as listed below.

BELLVILLE 51%
RICE CONSOLIDATED 49%
GILMER 25%
ATLANTA 15%

NOTE THAT BELLVILLE IS ONLY A 2% MORE THAN RICE CONSOLIDATED ONLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEATEN THEM ONCE ALREADY THIS SEASON.

Titans
12-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Well then, Collier-Sharp has it.

No need to play the game, Collier-Sharp has already decided who will win state.

Let's just give Burnet the trophy. As a matter of fact, let's also give it to Bellville or Marlin.

Why do we even play these games???????

slpybear the bullfan
12-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Well,

A HS Football Championship will be the ONLY CHAMPIONSHIP to be played at Kyle Field anytime soon!

slpybear

(Yeah, I know, the championship isn't played until the last game... but I couldn't resist a poke at the Ags.)

Owen B
12-01-2003, 01:47 PM
afflac65:
burnett is about a 75% favorite to win state in division 1. According to collier-sharp picks the winner of state in Division 2 is as listed below.

BELLVILLE 51%
RICE CONSOLIDATED 49%
GILMER 25%
ATLANTA 15%

NOTE THAT BELLVILLE IS ONLY A 2% MORE THAN RICE CONSOLIDATED ONLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEATEN THEM ONCE ALREADY THIS SEASON.I have no idea where you get percentages from Collier-Sharp rankings, but since Collier-Sharp has Gilmer at #1 and Burnet at #2, it's pretty clear that as of right now, Collier-Sharp would pick Gilmer to be D2 champ and Burnet to be D1 champ. That may change by the championship games, but it doesn't mean much anyway. Collier-Sharp picked Ennis by 26 over Highland Park and Ennis lost by 10.

oldengray1
12-01-2003, 01:48 PM
NO

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-01-2003, 01:52 PM
For the last two weeks Collier Sharp has picked Vernon to lose. They picked them to lose again this week too.

MonkeyJoe
12-01-2003, 01:56 PM
I hope Jasper pulls off an upset and gives Burnet what they deserve.
Just like Ennis got theirs last weekend !

footballgal
12-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Murphy Lee:
The winner of the Bellville-Malin game will then have to play Rice from region 4, which is no easy task, and then most likely Gilmer or Atlanta for state.

First things first Murphy Lee, Rice still has to pay the PI Tarpons. BTW, you seem to be a Tarpon expert have you even watched them play, ever? :)

Football GOD
12-01-2003, 03:27 PM
SSHHHHH THAT'S OK,TARPONS DON'T NEED ANYONE'S
FAVORITE PICKS,AIN'T THE WAY WE GO ABOUT OUR BUSINESS AROUND HERE!IF THOSE BOYS MAKING THEM PREDICTIONS WERE SO GOOD AT IT THEY WOULD BE IN VEGAS BY NOW.OBVIOUSLY STILL WORKING AT THE TOWNS LOCAL PRESS AND STILL TRYING TO GET IT RIGHT BOSS.
OH WELL THAT'S A SHAME (THREE WEEKS IN A ROW THEY MISSED ON PI AND VERNON'S PREDICTION)SO IF YOU PEOPLE WANT TO GO BY HIS PREDICTIONS BE MY GUEST.
HA HA HA HA POOOO POOOO!

zippy
12-01-2003, 03:32 PM
MonkeyJoe
Varsity
Member # 2830

posted December 01, 2003 12:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just like Ennis got theirs last weekend !

--------------------
Leopard Football...It's On

What they deserve??...Would you like to explain why they deserve it?...

<small>[ December 01, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: zippy ]</small>

Catfan
12-01-2003, 04:04 PM
seems the only ones who reply are the ones who live in your area and see no other teams from other regions play. I have made it a point this year to see some games from all regions from some of the "better" teams in each. Bias aside, (being from Kennedale), some teams from region I no longer in it, could beat some teams from the other 3 regions still playing and some not. This could work the same from regions II, III, and IV also. Records and stats at this point of the season tend to be mute points for the most part. Every team remaining is GOOD to some degree, or they would not be where they are. To say the "state games" to be played this weekend is ludicrous. That statement is in the eyes of a "local". The predictions of % that says who the state champs will be is unreliable (Ennis/Highland Park example). As a "local" I would be glad to say the championship is this weekend at Birdville between Kennedale and Vernon, that too would be ludicrous. Does anyone in the area of Marlin, Bellville, Rice, Atlanta, know ANYTHING about Vernon or Kennedale other than posted here or the press(or lack of). We on this side of Texas feel we are the best, as you on your side, feel you are the best. Until 22 young men step on the field for 48 minutes of battle, the only thing we can be positive of is we all know the score before the game even starts.....that is 0-0. The next 48 minutes will tell the tail. Everyone remaining in all regions, I wish you all the best, an injury free contest, and a hardy thanks for putting it all on the line everyday of the week in practice and in games, so people like me on this board, have something to talk about, moan about, whine about, gripe about and CHEER about...a 3A football fan period, whose heart and son just happen to thrive in KENNEDALE

AggieJohn
12-01-2003, 05:21 PM
McGee better be ready come saturday, he's going to be playing a lot of important games there... :D

3ahunter2k4
12-01-2003, 05:22 PM
What are the chances of McGee starting at QB someday for A&M?

jason
12-01-2003, 05:24 PM
explayer2001:
McGee better be ready come saturday, he's going to be playing a lot of important games there... :D too bad he's not goin to a good D1 school...such a waste of talent goin to A&M...

poncho
12-01-2003, 05:44 PM
slpybear the bullfan:
Well,

A HS Football Championship will be the ONLY CHAMPIONSHIP to be played at Kyle Field anytime soon!

slpybear

(Yeah, I know, the championship isn't played until the last game... but I couldn't resist a poke at the Ags.):cool: :D True that!!!!!!

spaniard
12-01-2003, 06:19 PM
3ahunter2k4:
What are the chances of McGee starting at QB someday for A&M?i dont know, i would say possibly starting in two years, but i guess it all depends on how things go with spring training, and what other players aTm has there already or are coming in.

poncho
12-01-2003, 06:36 PM
MonkeyJoe:
Just like Ennis got theirs last weekend !That's funny!!!! If, Burnet wins..it doesn't matter who we play. :cool: :p

Murphy Lee
12-01-2003, 06:48 PM
McGee is going to a good school. This year is over with. He's not going to be playing with those guys. He probably won't be playing for a year or two, so the team will be vastly improved by then. The offense has some nice weapons. The line needs work, but the recievers and Courtney Lewis aren't too bad. I've also heard McGee is committed to academics, and if that's the case, I think A&M and UT are at the top.

BuckeyeFan
12-02-2003, 12:35 AM
I see a Gilmer/Vernon match up in the semis with a Gilmer win. Finals match up with Bellville/Marlin winner.

AggieJohn
12-02-2003, 02:22 AM
3ahunter2k4:
What are the chances of McGee starting at QB someday for A&M?better than chance mock ever starting again.....anywhere!!!

champ80
12-02-2003, 04:20 PM
explayer2001:

3ahunter2k4:
What are the chances of McGee starting at QB someday for A&M?better than chance mock ever starting again.....anywhere!!!That may not be true........He could still wear orange next year......it just wouldn't be burnt..............transfer to Div.II Sam Houston State........

BigChamp05
12-02-2003, 05:12 PM
I think Rice will beat PI, and then beat Bellville. Rice will sneak up on them. Of course, they could lose this week to PI. You never know. I'm just calling that, though, right now.

Brahma73
12-02-2003, 06:23 PM
I remember too well everyone thinking last year's Bellville vs. Marlin game being for "the state title." Bandera dashed that little dream. The same could be said for Burnet last year. You haven't been involved in high school football very long if you think some preliminary playoff game could be dubbed anything but a step toward the title. The only state championship game is THE state championship game. Never assume anything will happen in this sport at this level.

Bandera YaYa
12-02-2003, 09:22 PM
TAKE IT FROM ME......POLLS DON'T MEAN A THING...A POLL IS JUST SOMETHING TO GET KNOCKED OFF OF....WATCH OUT FOR THOSE "UNDERDOGS"!!!! :D