PDA

View Full Version : Bandera's Coach

Ranger Mom
06-06-2003, 11:03 AM
I don't know how current this article is, just happen to run across it today. He seems like a really good guy!!

Bandera coach honoring parents

When Mike Williamson told us he was retiring from coaching to spend more time caring for his aging parents, it was consistent with everything we've ever known and heard about this good man and teacher.
Anyone familiar with Williamson, who led Bandera to the Class 3A Division II football state title last year, shouldn't be surprised by his decision to walk away from a profession he loves for family considerations.

"That's him," said Randy Morrison, who coordinates the middle-school athletic program for the Bandera School District. "He's going to do whatever is needed and he's going to be there for them."

Williamson's only other sibling, Ron, is accustomed to such selflessness from his brother.

"I have a wonderful brother and I'm very proud of him," said Ron, a pharmacist who lives in Kerrville. "He's what a coach ought to be."

As America grows grayer and more baby boomers are faced with the daunting challenge of caring for their parents, Mike Williamson figures he is only doing what is right.

"We're just talking about honoring your mother and father," Williamson said Thursday. "That's the way I was brought up. Those are the values my mother and father instilled in my brother and me.

"With all due respect to nursing homes — and I know a lot of them do a wonderful job and serve a purpose in our society — I believe it's important that children look after their parents. We have a tendency in our society to discard people when they get old, but they deserve to be treated like human beings."

Lloyd Williamson, 85, is bedridden and legally blind after suffering a series of strokes. Vera Williamson, 84, has had cancer, and the stress of caring for her husband has taken a toll on her health.

The Williamsons have been married for 62 years, and except for the time Lloyd served with the Navy during World War II, have lived together in the same house in Crystal City since 1943.

Mike Williamson, 55, and his wife, Sherrie, will continue living in Bandera, but he plans to make the 110-mile trip to Crystal City frequently to see his parents. Ron, 60, also visits regularly.

"All of their memories are in that house, and my mother doesn't want to move," said Mike, who will work at Bandera through the end of June.

Williamson's schedule this fall should be a lot less hectic than it was during his 33-year coaching career. He was athletic director and head football coach at Bandera for 10 years, compiling a 79-37-1 record.

Sherrie will continue teaching at Bandera High School, but Mike has no plans for the immediate future.

"When I'm through tending to Mom and Dad, I will want to do volunteer work and work with kids in some way," he said.

Williamson started his career as an assistant at Orange Grove in 1970, and also coached at Pearsall, El Dorado, Devine, Carrizo Springs, Laredo United and Uvalde.

"I'm going to miss the relationships with the kids and the coaches, no doubt about that," he said. "I was blessed to have a great career, and I felt that way long before we won state.

"There are so many wonderful, wonderful coaches in this state who never have won state, but they are fulfilling the needs of those kids they work with. They fill a void in this society."

Mike Williamson would know.

<small>[ June 06, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

Bulldogs35YaYa
06-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Thank you Ranger Mom for sharing that article! It is one that I never saw and will share with all at work who know him. He has coached both of my sons and is an incredible person. My son who was the runningback stated that it was not so much the talent, it was the heart that Coach Williamson put in those boys that helped them win state!! Once again, thanks :p

Bandera YaYa
06-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Yes, thanks RangerMom.....it was an awesome article, that truely showed the heart of Coach Williamson.....he will certainly be missed by all!

dog eat dog
06-06-2003, 01:16 PM
he is an example of what all coaches should be like. we definently need more of them.