PDA

View Full Version : My fellow Jasper Fans

TivyDawgs
12-08-2002, 12:54 PM
I'll break this post into two because I have a lot to say! I am so glad that myself and my husband got the chance to see what a great team Burnet is! It was awesome to see the support you give your kids! From the time we walked in to the time we left, I never saw Burnet sit down and not cheer. Your team ROCKS. I hope you guys win state! After the game on the field, I met the nicest people. One man said that we all deserved to be there, well you deserved to win. You showed us Jasper Fans just what team spirit and team playing is all about. Right down to the half time peformance!! I hope the support you showed today embarassed the Fair Weather Fans from Jasper. Congratulations and The Hunt Family wishes you all the luck next weekend!! Go Bulldogs!!

TivyDawgs
12-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Jasper..all I can say is that the fans from Burnet would have whipped you in this game! I am so disappointed at the LACK of spirit that fans from the Jasper side had today! Burnet's band had the croud going more that Jasper cheerleaders did! That is sad! Did you see when #8 was hurt? Everyone chanted his name when walked off the field! We only cheered for Jasper when something went our way! So sad SO sad! I can't speak right now from all the cheering that was coming from me, a Rain or Shine Jasper Fan. It's sad to see all the Fair Weather Fans that waisted perfectly good seats on the Jasper side. If you weren't going to support your team properly...you should have stayed home and watched sport center or the
10 o'clock news! Again congratulations to Burnet. You guys deserve what you got! I hope you get the whole deal! You deserve that too! Good Luck!

southern_thunder
12-08-2002, 07:05 PM
I agree whole heartedly with you tivydawg, but it is nothing new Jasper has long been known for their fairweather fans, as long as things are good and and the team is winning they are there, but as soon as things get tough and and Jasper loses the fingers start pointing and this attitude trickles down to the players as well which is why Jasper will never win a state championship the character needed is just not here. The community should support the team and the coaches win or lose with the same enthusiasm not just when things are good.

Congrats to Burnet with the kind of support your community shows your team should win the next 2 div I titles.

<small>[ December 08, 2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: southern_thunder ]</small>

spaniard
12-08-2002, 07:28 PM
thank you guys, its fans like you guys that show the comraderie that needs to be shown throughout the state as fans of a high school football team. i know every town has its share of fair weather bums, burnet is no exception, but for the most part you guys' fans were loud and proud no matter what was happening during the game. good luck next season, maybe we will see you guys again around this time of the year. :D

exbccards76'smom
12-08-2002, 09:29 PM
Just wondering what happen at this game. When we played them in the dome, Jaspers fan cheered the whole game. Just want to wish Burnet good luck next week. wink

20StephDawg05
12-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Thats really cool that people from Jasper can stand up and say how disappointed they are. That takes real guts and stuff ya know hehe. but, y'all put up a great game. and im repeating what has already been said ... hope we see y'all again! :) :D

lil booma
12-10-2002, 12:13 AM
jasper had a great season and the fans stood by the team all year they cheered the whole third quarter. I heard them because i was standing on the side line

snowsnake
12-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Hey TivyDawg: I agree with you wholeheartedly. First I want to say that I truly appreciate all the hard core Jasper Football fans that supported the team this year from the first day of two-a-days to the final game of the season. Unfortunately that seems to be a very small group. We have members of the community that choose to get involved only if the team is winning. Burnet's band was incredible, they brought team and community spirit to a new height. Amazing Grace at quiet time was inspirational, the Santa outfit and hats were a great backdrop, the inspirational music (the only thing they didn't play was Rocky)gave their team the extra lift it needed in the trenches, and the fans were outstanding. Then the half time show put the topping on an already spirit loaded cake. This is the type of involvement that Jasper needs from its fan base. I regret that my kids are not getting that type of experience to look back on when they are adults. I will be the first to say that I was very proud of our band and what they accomplished this year, but they were handicapped by a leader that #1 doesn't like football and was overheard saying,"I wish they would hurry up and lose so we can stop this stuff on Saturday's" and then berates his students if they yell for the team. It is hard enough for a group of young men to win a state championship, but when you have diluted support from your community, your band, other athletic groups, and even in some cases school personel, it makes for a long hard road when every one isn't pulling together. Hope things change before next year but probably not.

Bulldog Fan
12-10-2002, 07:41 PM
snowsnake:
Hey TivyDawg: I agree with you wholeheartedly. First I want to say that I truly appreciate all the hard core Jasper Football fans that supported the team this year from the first day of two-a-days to the final game of the season. Unfortunately that seems to be a very small group. We have members of the community that choose to get involved only if the team is winning. Burnet's band was incredible, they brought team and community spirit to a new height. Amazing Grace at quiet time was inspirational, the Santa outfit and hats were a great backdrop, the inspirational music (the only thing they didn't play was Rocky)gave their team the extra lift it needed in the trenches, and the fans were outstanding. Then the half time show put the topping on an already spirit loaded cake. This is the type of involvement that Jasper needs from its fan base. I regret that my kids are not getting that type of experience to look back on when they are adults. I will be the first to say that I was very proud of our band and what they accomplished this year, but they were handicapped by a leader that #1 doesn't like football and was overheard saying,"I wish they would hurry up and lose so we can stop this stuff on Saturday's" and then berates his students if they yell for the team. It is hard enough for a group of young men to win a state championship, but when you have diluted support from your community, your band, other athletic groups, and even in some cases school personel, it makes for a long hard road when every one isn't pulling together. Hope things change before next year but probably not.Where do you get off saying this kind of stuff? You say Jasper has only a small core of true fans, then how do you explain all of those people who drove 3 hours to be at that game? We had as many fans there as Burnet did!! As far as those who get involved only when the team is winning, well, what do you expect? Of course you will have larger crowds when a team is winning. You just can't seem to applaud Burnet enough when the truth is how many "fairweather" fans do they have? We don't know do we because they are winning. Let them have a losing season and let's see. As for team spirit, you couldn't ask for better than our kids have displayed this year. You like their team better, you like their band better. How about giving our kids and community a little credit. They are doing their best. It's looked to me, from the size of the crowds at the games that we were definately pulling together!!! Were you at the Newton game? I have never seen such support. Fans were there at 5 oclock and when the team entered the field it sounded like we had just won the superbowl. I think your criticism is unjust and I for one am sick of hearing it. I'm sure there are plenty of houses for sale in Burnet. Maybe you would be happier there.

<small>[ December 10, 2002, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Bulldog Fan ]</small>

Bulldog Fan
12-10-2002, 07:50 PM
<small>[ December 10, 2002, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Bulldog Fan ]</small>

TivyDawgs
12-10-2002, 10:05 PM
BulldogFan..Newton is 15 minutes away..why wouldn't you go to the game? Newton was state champs...why wouldn't they go see that game? I was a cheerleader while in high school at Jasper, I was also in the band. I cheered and marched at halftime. I can say these things because I have lived it. I see it. I hear it. Yes there are fans that will drive 3 hours away to see them play. And the kids in the band and cheerleaders and the football team trully appreciates those fans. They are true fans. I wish for once I could turn back time and take a picture of all those that were sitting and eating and not cheering at the game. My voice is finaly came back form yelling so much! I know you will have more people at games if you are winning. I saw that first hand. I am just saying it is sad that that is the way we are! In that case what is wrong with the baseball fans? Where are they? Where are the basket ball fans? I wish Jasper had as many true fans as it looks like they do!

TivyDawgs
12-10-2002, 10:13 PM
Oh and Bulldog Fan...no one said that they liked their band better. We just said that we like what they did. They were having fun. It looked like our kids were in a competition. It's after contest season..why not have a little fun. Did you see how their croud was yelling for their band? I couldn't tell the differance between the cheers for the band and the football team! Did you hear any of ours cheer? God no...they wouldn't even stand up for the fight song, why would they cheer for a good job?

Jason1725
12-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Seems like the truth hurts. I can assure you Snowsnake has been involved with this football team more than you know. He is at all the games and has done a lot for this team so don't trash him because he is telling the truth. As far as the band director goes that is right on. He told me at the Newton game when I asked him to play a song he said,” I don't care about the game" That is true because he never knows when to let the band play. I can't count how many times he has played when the offense was on the field, that’s dumb. The band can and should be a powerful tool to get the crowd in the game. You should never play when the offense is on the field. The cheerleaders are also discouraged by the lack of response they get. I was told by one of them this year " Oh, the fans hate us, they never listen or cheer with us." How pathetic is that? When all of these Bulldogs fans that were leaving who I guess were not leaving I heard several players yell at them " Hey! Where are ya'll going?" Also there were a handful of fans that stood by the locker room when the team came off for halftime that said discouraging things to them. Oh it's true, and I know it hurts. Now of course all fans are not like this but most just sit there at the exact time they should be yelling and cheering. You know if the band played while the fans cheered it is deafening I know because I have heard it before, but that was years ago against West Orange. I have been covering this team for two years now and have been to almost all of the games and yes the fans are pathetic as far as yelling and cheering. I don't see any reason why Jasper couldn't be louder than they are, but I guess showing support for the kids isn't cool. But with all of those coaches in the stands I am sure that they are too busy second-guessing the coaches.

JasperDog94
12-10-2002, 11:21 PM
I know that I'm probably stirring up a hornet's nest, but would it be too much to ask the cheerleaders to do something besides 2 bits? I mean come on, I've been going to Jasper games for over 20 years and I've heard the same cheers every year. Why not try something different like they do in college. Get some signs and have one side of the bleachers chant "Jasper" and then have the other half chant "Bulldogs".

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

TivyDawgs
12-11-2002, 01:09 AM
JasperDog..The only reason 2Bits is still in the "cheer list" is because it is tradition. I cheered in high school and I can tell you that from experience. The things the cheerleaders do is what they are taught to do. Camps are held each summer to provide new and more (i guess) modern ideas but, if they aren't encouraged to do these things throughout the season they wont. I'm not trying to say that they are out of date or anything, it's just maybe the new ideas that they do learn in camp aren't getting used very much. I do know that A LOT of the cheers I heard at the game were cheers we did 10 years ago. I figured someone who have made up new ones by now!

TivyDawgs
12-11-2002, 01:10 AM
sorry that was suppose to be would have!!

TivyDawgs
12-11-2002, 01:15 AM
One more thing...I did see at the game after us at the AstroDome, I believe it was Pearland and Hastings..well at the gate, there were people maybe parents NOT CHEERLEADERS handing out signs. Not hand made signs but printed signs with some sort of saying or encouragement. I don't believe they were asking for these to be purchased at all. Maybe that's a thought. I know there are several local Jasper businesses that would love to have some sort of involement in this. Or at least a tax write off?? Any takers?

Aggiemom
12-11-2002, 01:22 AM
tivydawg, check your pm please

Bulldog Fan
12-12-2002, 07:10 PM
TivyDawgs:
BulldogFan..Newton is 15 minutes away..why wouldn't you go to the game? Newton was state champs...why wouldn't they go see that game? I was a cheerleader while in high school at Jasper, I was also in the band. I cheered and marched at halftime. I can say these things because I have lived it. I see it. I hear it. Yes there are fans that will drive 3 hours away to see them play. And the kids in the band and cheerleaders and the football team trully appreciates those fans. They are true fans. I wish for once I could turn back time and take a picture of all those that were sitting and eating and not cheering at the game. My voice is finaly came back form yelling so much! I know you will have more people at games if you are winning. I saw that first hand. I am just saying it is sad that that is the way we are! In that case what is wrong with the baseball fans? Where are they? Where are the basket ball fans? I wish Jasper had as many true fans as it looks like they do!Tivydawgs:
Please accept my sincere apology for the way I reacted. I must admit that I do not know how the students feel and what they go through with the band director and fans. It honestly surprises me to hear of these problems. I am a true bulldog fan and I can't imagine anyone not supporting the kids, especially Jasper teachers and faculty. I live out of town now and have driven back for every game this year. Upon reflection I can see how that some of the things you touched on must be true. I would like to suggest that the students take these complaints to the Jasper school officials, maybe the athletic director. They should know about these comments reportedly made by the band director. I would like to see them involved in this matter. Once again, my apologies and maybe we could work together somehow to change things. I did want to say at the game when some left early, "Where are you going, we need to stay and support our team." I hope we can find solutions to these problems as a community.

Burnet Dawg06
12-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Hey Everyone from Jasper, Thanks for all the compliments about the band and drill team. :D :) the BHS Esprit De Corps(band & Drill team) are at every football game cheering on the team. :cool: The Jasper band was really great and had a greay half time show. I'm sure everyone from Burnet enjoyed it. :) Oh Snowsnake, just to let you know, people from Burnet really enjoyed what you wrote about the band. The Burnet Director even printed it and read it to the band! Oh yeah and we did play Rocky. Just can't remember what quarter we did though. To let everyone know, the past few games we have been wearing kinda weird things like capes and santa hats. It's just to have some fun. wink We even had our drum majors dress up! :p

TivyDawgs
12-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Can anyone tell me what the drill team held up at the end of their show that made the Burnet croud go nuts? Geez..I couldn't tell what was going on over there! I absolutely loved how the band had fun with their show. I do think there is a time to be serious and a time to play! Lord knows if I had to be serious in band all the time I would have been kicked out!! Oh wait I was, and then let back in because the director realized that was me and everyone liked it. Or at least they didn't say didn't!! Good luck Burnet...we really wish we could be there this weekend to see you guys win!!! eek! OH YEAH!!!

SWTdawg
12-12-2002, 10:08 PM
I know for sure that the band spelled out DAWGS on the field during the end of the halftime show. I think what the dancers held up was "BURNET BULLDOGS ONE TEAM ONE DREAM." Anyways, it was something like that.

classof 90
12-12-2002, 10:09 PM
hold up!!!!!!
mr. bulldog fan,
did you go to any of burnet's district games?.....
did you go to any pre-district games?.....
didn't think so!!!!
burnet fans have been fans since the season started
hell, we have people from marble falls coming to our games!!!! marble falls and burnet had one of the longest standing rivalries in high school history (75+ years)
so before you start talking s^&* read up a little
burnet fans are true!!!!
win or loose

GO GREEN or go home!!!!

classof 90
12-12-2002, 10:13 PM
my wife told me to read on!!!!
good job bulldog fan
sorry!!!!
go green!!!!

SintonFan
12-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Jeezzzz...
some of us in Sinton can learn a lesson from some of you in Jasper. You here on this thread show alot of class. There were alot of quiet ppl from Sinton, too. I am still proud of the effort though. Sinton is normally reserved.
66 and I were REALLY loud, hehe. 66 almost broke my right ear drum!
And I still owe him a cola, hehe... :p

TivyDawgs
12-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Little confussed...did I miss a post or something? There seemed to be little tension here for a bit?? Anyone know what happened?

SintonFan
12-12-2002, 10:32 PM
classof 90:
my wife told me to read on!!!!
good job bulldog fan
sorry!!!!
go green!!!!Hey! Could you please take away a !!! or !!!!?
Goodness, you still get your point across without all the !!!!(!).
At least you layed off the 'CAPS'!!!
LOL...
:D :D :D
jus havin some fun...

TivyDawgs
12-12-2002, 10:38 PM
SORRY!!!!!
:)
SA? San Antonio?
My husband is from Kerrville. :p

White&Crimson
12-14-2002, 12:30 PM
Okay, here's where I stand up for the band...first of all, why can't they play when our team is on offense? Maybe I'm just ignorant to this matter, but why not? Also, when we are at home games, has anyone noticed where the band sits?! They can't see anything! It is absolutely impossible to know how much time is left or what is going on! I for one am disappointed that our band got stuck over in the endzone and that the true fans in the band can't even see the game. I imagine it would make you feel a bit like a second-class citizen...
As to the comment as to why they can't loosen up and have fun...that is something up to the band director. If he wants them to learn something new, then great for him. It is his personal decision, but let me tell you it is HARD to learn drills and I can understand why he wouldn't have them learn a new one. There are other ways to have fun besides doing a "fun" drill.
If the Burnet band director read aloud the post to his band to get some laughs, it sounds like he needs to learn some class. When a band director makes fun of other bands and isn't respectful, what does he expect his kids to do?
And finally, yes the band director should not have made those comments if they were made. But keep in mind he does have the right to his opinion, not all people are die-hard football fans...however, he could have been more tactful about it and thought these things instead of saying them out loud. But please don't run this guy away from Jasper, because he's doing some great things for the band program. Sometimes the band does get tired of being seen as nothing more than supporters for the football team, they ARE that, but they are also more. It would nice if the fans gave the band a little of the support that the band is trying to give to the football team. They only cheer for the fight song...God forbid they cheer for the drill that the band has worked hard to prepare for their own competition.
Oh and by the way, he does not berate his students for yelling at the team...the only time he asks them to be quiet is when he is trying to tell them something.

Jason1725
12-14-2002, 01:23 PM
Ok, here is why you should never play when the offense is on the field. Have you ever noticed that when they do this most of the time the other band is playing as well? See when the offense is on the field and they come to the line they might have to change the play because of how the defense is lined up. If both bands are playing it makes that very hard to do. The QB will try to tell everyone lined up what the play has changed to, if both bands are playing and the fans are yelling then somebody might not hear and you could have a false start or a receiver might run the wrong route causing an INT. Perfect example was a game against West Orange Stark a few years ago. The fans were going nuts, the band was playing and you could not hear ANYTHING. West Orange had the ball and they got 4 or more false starts to back them up against the end zone. You should never play when the offense is on the field but when the defense is out there yeah play and scream till you turn blue.

TivyDawgs
12-14-2002, 03:28 PM
White...I know how "hard" it is to learn a drill also. It's not! And no one asked them to learn a new drill. The band director from Burnet didn't read the post to get a laugh. He read a compliment they recieved and was proud to share it!
No one asked if Jasper could learn a new drill. All I stated is Burnet's band was having a blast doing something different for a change. I loved when we got a chance to let go and have a little fun with our "drills". It is sad that Mr. Poole doesn't like football games. Or that he was "tired" of the football season. If he doesn't like it, he should reconsider his occupation. Being a band director, you understand that at least half of the school year there are football games. If he wanted to have just a concert band, maybe he needs to go to a school that doesn't have a football team. My Poole IS doing a really good job with these kids. No one said he wansn't. I know how many 1s they have made this year. I have been there watching them do it. They look sharp. You know, maybe if they did try something different, the band directors and the kids would have a little better time and maybe look forward to a little longer season!

White&Crimson
12-14-2002, 04:49 PM
TivyDawgs:
White...I know how "hard" it is to learn a drill also. It's not! And no one asked them to learn a new drill. The band director from Burnet didn't read the post to get a laugh. He read a compliment they recieved and was proud to share it!
No one asked if Jasper could learn a new drill. All I stated is Burnet's band was having a blast doing something different for a change. I loved when we got a chance to let go and have a little fun with our "drills". It is sad that Mr. Poole doesn't like football games. Or that he was "tired" of the football season. If he doesn't like it, he should reconsider his occupation. Being a band director, you understand that at least half of the school year there are football games. If he wanted to have just a concert band, maybe he needs to go to a school that doesn't have a football team. My Poole IS doing a really good job with these kids. No one said he wansn't. I know how many 1s they have made this year. I have been there watching them do it. They look sharp. You know, maybe if they did try something different, the band directors and the kids would have a little better time and maybe look forward to a little longer season!I was looking at the end of that post the Burnet band director read, which was downing the Jasper band director, but maybe that wasn't the part that was read. If not, sorry if I asssumed wrong.
I'm afraid we may have to agree to disagree, because I feel it IS hard to learn a whole new drill...of course a scatter to form letters or something is not. The problem is that towards the end of the season, the band has other things that they have to do...like tryouts for spring bands, learning music for a Christmas concert(which we never had when I was in band) and even giving students trying out for All-Region some band time to practice while the other kids sight read music.
I don't think there is anything wrong with approaching the band director with suggestions to improve, but saying (as I *heard* but am not sure of this) that an athletic director did, "Our band doesn't look like they are having any fun. Why can't they be more like Band X?" The LAST thing anyone wants to hear is why can't you be like some other band. We had this yelled at us by Jasper fans when I was in band and we were playing Lincoln...nothing makes you feel less supported. If someone could find a nice way to tell him that it might be fun for him and the band to do something different during playoffs, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't at least consider it.
Anyway, sorry if I took anyone's comments the wrong way.