PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport 28 Boyd 18

The One
09-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Bridgeport plays very well the first 47 minutes and 42 seconds, but Boyd scores 15 pts in the last 18 seconds of the game. That was the only disappointing thing for the Bulls on the night. I will post a recap later.

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Okay, I am gonna force myself to be positive because this was a positive game. There was just a bit of ugly that came out in the end, but heck, a win is a win.

Bridgeport's Offense took another step this week... Running game was solid again, passing game continues to do well. It is a complement to the running game, quite a change from the previous years.

Bridgeports Defense played very tough most of the night. The game was 28-3 Bridgeport until the last several seconds. Bridgeport began putting in the 2nd team early in the 4th qtr. Remember, this is a team with 3 returning starters on defense... so the second string is verrrryyyy green. Boyd caught a Bridgeport DB way out of place with less than 20 secs to play and punched in a TD.

The frustrating part was that on the ensuing kickoff the Bulls recover, and then try to run a play instead of downing the ball and going home. I know that with as much inexperience it was an opportunity for a second team rb to get a touch, but the result was a miscue, fumble, and ensuing return for TD by Boyd. The only reason I am bummed out is because the defense had a real pearl for the stat books tonight and it would have been a great pat on the back for them.

I will not get wound up about it though... It was another step up in the growth of this team and they did a great job...

Good game Bulls, good luck next week against Gainesville...

slpybear
'89 BULLS #70

The One
09-19-2003, 11:17 PM
I agree Slpy, the end of this game was extremley frustrating. The Bulls definatley are looking better and better each week. A true test awaits next week. The defense played a great game against a very quick Boyd offense. I too will not get hung up on the diappointment at the end of the game because what it boils down to is it was a W. And you take them any way you can find one. Bridgeport vs Gainesville next week!

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Yeah... I tell you what, that Colin Jones is a fun kid to watch run!!! And how strange is it to see the run set up the pass... and not the other way around...

The One
09-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Slpy,
I have been hashing on the receivers all year and tonight I was very impressed. They spread the ball around to several different guys and there were very few dropped passes. The ones that were dropped Boyd made plays on. Boyd's secondary was pretty good. I was very impressed with the passing game tonight. The running game looked good again and it does look different with Bport running so much out of all those different formations. What was your take with the passing game tonight.

slpybear the bullfan
09-19-2003, 11:35 PM
well, I think the big three receivers all had a great game. Especially Simpson. He has really impressed me how much he has stepped it up. His long catch inthe third quarter was great.

What I really like about the passing game is the patience of the QB, Mann. He is not afraid to run, ground, or take a hit when his receiver is not open. As a matter of fact, the only pass of the ball he does that makes me nervous is watching him pitch to the running back... AHHH!!! He needs to watch those first few pitches, because they are usually off a little until he settles down.

I love the fact that the Bulls are very comfortable with both the passing and ground game this year. Different, but I firmly believe that it helps the young team out.

Do you think we were trying to get a little cute on offense at times? I trust Coach Henson, but at times I could have stood to do without all the fancy stuff....