PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Forfeits Game to Newton?

twinkle
10-22-2002, 04:12 PM
What is everone's opinion on this??? Link to story can be found at www.kjas.com (http://www.kjas.com) .

Sounds like the teacher was gonna raise a stink and the school was forced to confess. I am stunned.

twinkle
10-22-2002, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I haven't been on the forum since last week and didn't read down far enough down to know that this is yesterday's news...I was just so shocked to read the story on KJAS. Blew me away. Not the kind of win that Newton wanted. I guess Jasper didn't forfeit to Newton..they just forfeited...There is a difference. Sorry Jasper fans, I know this has to SUCK.

eye of the tiger
10-22-2002, 04:20 PM
It is always sad when somethng like happens, but I think Jasper handled it well. By acting timely after discovering that the player was inelgible, they managed to save their season. Im pretty sure Jasper will still be a force to reckon with as they year progresses.

big daddy russ
10-22-2002, 04:20 PM
thats horrible. i always hated computers. never really got along with them. still, though, life goes on. maybe they won't get the district title but jasper still will probably get that D-I playoff berth and make a good little run.

twinkle
10-22-2002, 04:22 PM
And I shouldn't have said that it sounded like the teacher was gonna raise a stink...I don't know all the details, and it sounds like the coaches did the right thing.

BH_146
10-22-2002, 04:25 PM
I hope someone looks at the situation as one in which the teacher may have save them down the line. If it was a software-computer problem, then the failing grade may not have possible been brought up until later in the season. Which could have resulted in more games being forfeited. Perhaps, they need to do as many schools and have a cross reference of grades at the end of a six weeks grading period. Teachers not only processes their grades via the computer but there is a hand written copy of failures which must be turned in to the office. I would also hope that the administrators took the action without regard of the possibility of someone looking over their shoulder.

pero chato
10-22-2002, 04:27 PM
The school officials obviously did the right thing. My question is --- if the teacher knew the student had a failing grade, why didn't the school officials? I understand computer glitches, but there are other ways of gathering data. Like maybe asking, "Do you (teachers) have any students failing who cannot participate?"... How did we ever get anything done before computers?

CentralTxFan
10-22-2002, 04:38 PM
I agree the school officials did the right thing. My question is...shouldn't the student bear some of the responsibility? Aren't we are trying to raise these athletes into young adults. If so, shouldn't that mean making them responsible for themselves and in turn making them responsible TO their team as well? The kids know themselves if they are passing or not. If they know they are ineligible then they should stand up and tell the coaches. Or better yet maybe every school should have a weekly report sent to the coaching staff making them aware of every grade of every athlete. That way, no similiar situations can arise.

ThaRealBulldog
10-22-2002, 06:05 PM
Im from Carthage but this pisses me off, Newton you lost.

PurpleEagles02
10-22-2002, 06:22 PM
Newton knows they lost. Just becuase we get the "win" for district, doesn't mean that we are claiming that we beat Jasper. I feel bad for Jasper because they were really looking forward to having that district title, but things happen and we get over them...maybe next year. Jasper still has a VERY good chance of bringing home that D1 title and I hope they do. I will be cheering for Jasper throughout the playoffs, as well as Newton and I hope that we are able to bring back 2 state titles! Good luck Jasper...and LETS GO EAGLES!!!

OldSchoolBulldog
10-23-2002, 12:03 AM
PurpleEagles02:
Newton knows they lost. Just becuase we get the "win" for district, doesn't mean that we are claiming that we beat Jasper. I feel bad for Jasper because they were really looking forward to having that district title, but things happen and we get over them...maybe next year. Jasper still has a VERY good chance of bringing home that D1 title and I hope they do. I will be cheering for Jasper throughout the playoffs, as well as Newton and I hope that we are able to bring back 2 state titles! Good luck Jasper...and LETS GO EAGLES!!!This comment is really refreshing. Most of the Newton and Jasper fans have handled this situation with a lot of class. I also hope that both Jasper and Newton represent well in D1 and D2.