PDA

View Full Version : Sophomoretown USA

Old Cardinal
08-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Well it looks like they have eliminated down to only 9 Sophomore starting for Bridge City from a projected 16, on a two-platoon system. but some Soph's. will be going both ways. BC has only 6 seasoned returning starters. Michael Gauthier (silver metalist 100 m " 10.78 seconds, .06 off the Gold metal time), will switch from defense to offense this year. For Trojandad's sake-- they used accu-trac timing system at the State meet. Gauthier, who mainly played defense, average 11 yards per carry on offense,last year as an understudy to tailback, Matt Peebles. The only remaining starters include: All-Dist. center Luke Lyons and Star Safety speedster, Jon Landry (10.80 seconds). Big Jon, will probably see a lot of time carrying the ball this year, as a Junior. On defense, you have Jason Montagne, Stephen Lapeyrolerie, Stephen Broussard, and Lance Spencer-and that is it for experience!...It is interesting; however, that Hunter "Homerun" Hays who skipped football to play year round Select baseball, is back in the football pads this fall, trying to lend a helping hand. Hays was All-State at third base as a Sophmomore(now he is a Junior) and is highly sought for College or even Pros in baseball. He can rifle a football, just like he can throw from third base, and is a fast top-skilled overall athlete. Joining Hays as the QB prospects are Baseball Select team catcher B. J. "Ben" Myers, a Junior,(Jamey Knight's understudy last season); Broc Haymon, BCs Select team Sophomore pitcher, can pass extremely accurately, also. Rounding out the QB prospects is quick, option-style, Stephen Broussard(Senior) also a great infielder with a good arm and good speed...Outside of 3 year QB star, John Modica(Senior), at Orangefield, BC has the next best 4 QB skill-potentials', in the District, in my opinion. Whoever is not QB'ing, might well be the split ends and wide outs, because of their speed and good hands...I am not really worried about all these starting Soph.'s; they went 11-0 last season with only 8 points scored against them.... Jasper and BC were both claiming that they thought they had the best 9th grade in the State, so they pitted them at the end of the season (when OF cancelled their game against BC); and QB Broc Haymon and his excellent young receivers finally prevailed over a tough Jasper team 12-0. That was, by far, the two best 9th grade teams I have ever witnessed in a ballgame. Jasper will be extra tough to beat for years to come....BC and Cleveland scrimmage at 9 am in Cleveland this coming Saturday. There is a possibility they will meet again in Bi-District playoffs.....If that happens, Barbers Hill would drop down, and be a viable candidate for Division II State Champion.

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
08-11-2003, 01:55 PM
OC,
Are you going to the scrimmage this Saturday? just curious.

Old Cardinal
08-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Yes BCCards Mom, I plan to be there.....OF is scrimmaging LC-M at 6 pm at OF Saturday.

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Chief Woodman
08-11-2003, 03:58 PM
That many sophmores starting? Does not say much for your Jr and SR does it?

Old Cardinal
08-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Chief, being a Jr. or Sr. does not automatically give you a starting position on most good teams. You may be replaced by an underclassman, if they are more skilled!....Chief, I re-read this thing and maybe, I need to emphasize that Tarver played 30+ players in every game last year, and there are plenty of youth that have played a reasonable amount of Varsity ball, but were just not starters. He had a very big bunch up to play varsity and utilized them all, as much as he could. The most comical and fun bunch to watch were the "dirty dozen" JV. They has 13 or 14 players only, and were tough little demons on the field, and got in a ton of playing time! They were kind of sandwiched between a big 9th grade squad and a huge traveling Varsity team. Things are not totally dismal, they are picked to win the District..

<small>[ August 11, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
08-11-2003, 11:43 PM
The Dirty dozen from last year are a tough bunch. Looks like a interesting year ahead for us.

trojandad
08-12-2003, 01:22 PM
LOL @ Trojandad's sake. You need to increase your meds, Old Card, it was you that didn't buy my timings, not vice versa. We still use our faithful sundials to time here in the boonies.

Old Cardinal
08-12-2003, 01:34 PM
I spent a little extra time trying to cover the details on one team(BC). TrojanDad, Bobkat, Old Green,BH_146, OTHERS...would you take the time to cover details on the teams that you follow closely. That info will make for a more enjoyable season for all of us?

Old Green
08-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Old Cardinal. I haven't had much time the last few weeks to check out the Gobblers. Out of town a lot. But I'll let you know something soon.