PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

spike
10-02-2003, 10:24 AM
I have a friend at another school who is getting totally obliterated by his fellow staff members for failing a jv kid in his class.

He asked me for my advice and I asked him what he did for the kid to see if he could get his grade up and from what he told me the kid had 4 zeroes and failed 2 out of 3 tests, both of which he could have done something to raise up the grades for 70's, which he did not do. The coach told the jv and varsity coaches on the first progress report when the kid had a 70 that he was in danger of failing and losing eligibilty if he kept his effort the way it was. This coach also has other football players in his classes and they all passed. Any way, I told him I thought that he had done enough and that the fault was left to the kid. But I am curious, to the other coaches on the board here as well as the rest of you what are your opinions. Do you fail a player if they don't put forth the effort to keep up the grade. I know I would, but luckily I have not had to yet.
Opinions?

CatsDen
10-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Absolutely and without hesitation! The kid has to take responsibility for himself.

JasperDog94
10-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I wish more teachers would do just that. Put the owness on the kid. It's his/her responsibility to make the grade. Sounds like this teacher gave the kid ample opportunity to get his grade to passing.

When I was teaching band, I actually had a student fail my class, which made him ineligible to participate in our own band contest. How sad is that? eek!

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: JasperDog94 ]</small>

silver king
10-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Only Burnet people can answer that question.If he can play football they will find a way for him to play,regardless of age.Just WIN baby! frown

HornetMom
10-02-2003, 10:38 AM
JasperDog94:
I wish more teachers would do just that. Put the owness on the kid. It's his/her responsibility to make the grade. Sounds like this teacher gave the kid ample opportunity to get his grade to passing.

When I was teaching band, I actually had a student fail my class, which made him ineligible to participate in our own band contest. How sad is that? eek! I agree. Our band has several students ineligible for contest this year. They also were given amble time to make it up. If they choose not to make the effort, then they pay the consequence.

spike
10-02-2003, 10:40 AM
I hope that the last statement was one in jest. I mean as long as it is an ethical way of getting the kid eligible I am all for it. But I know for a fact that coaches in general get bad raps for people believing that they care only about sports. I mean the odds are against most players getting scholarships and I have always looked at things like this. The kid needs to get the education and if they are fortunate to play and do well in that arena also, great. But it just boggles my mind that there are people in my profession still that act like just because they are a football or basketball player, etc. that they deserve extra consideration. I played in HS and in college and not once did I ever get extra consideration on grades due to my playing ability, in fact I had more teachers that were harder on my because I was a player. In the long run, it made me a better student, and I think a better teacher also.

Keep the opinions coming. Please keep them serious, this situation really has stuck in my craw for some reason.

BIG19
10-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Fail him. There is no excuse for zeros in anything. From the top grade getter to the lowest ranked person on campus. No exceptions. A zero is the will of the student not turning in his/her work. Coaches are/should be very much into the progress checks of their student athletes. If they see a problem, they should be trying to get them the help they need or they don not play. No excuses.

Gobbla2001
10-02-2003, 10:44 AM
If they've done everything they can and have worked hard but have a 68, I'd get 'em their 70... If they do all of their homework and end up with a 58, I can't do anything about it THEN...

BUT, I'd make sure it never got down that low...

He did do the right thing...

BIG19
10-02-2003, 10:46 AM
silver king:
Only Burnet people can answer that question.If he can play football they will find a way for him to play,regardless of age.Just WIN baby! :( Get off the Burnet players. This is getting old and they have not done anything to you.

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: BIG19 ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-02-2003, 10:50 AM
The youn man made the grade. The teachers don't give out grades--the kids earn what ever they earn. Period.

spike
10-02-2003, 10:58 AM
I know that I have sated that I am a coach, I am curious.How many of the people who are responding are also?

Don't mention the district but just curious.

Gobbla2001
10-02-2003, 10:59 AM
&lt;&lt;&lt;~~~~ Gunna be a coach/teacher but am not now...

HotDawg89
10-02-2003, 11:00 AM
silver king:
Only Burnet people can answer that question.If he can play football they will find a way for him to play,regardless of age.Just WIN baby! :(This is tired and old. - you've established yourself as jealous and ignorant. Enough is enough. Most of our kids make straight A's, or are on the A/B honor roll year round- not just during football season. Sorry your team isn't doing so well, so that you might actually have something to talk about rather than to attack Burnet at every given moment. Geezzz... grow up little boy.

At the 3rd week when progress reports are handed out, if a player is failing or has a grade below an 80, they are asked to attend tutoring. If it doesn't help- and they fail- they fail. The responsibility is on the student, not the teacher. Your friend did the right thing.

BIG19
10-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Not a coach, but married to a teacher. Have this conversation with her and others - including ex-coaches.

spike
10-02-2003, 11:04 AM
HotDawg, I like that policy alot. Tutorials are a great thing, they don't have them at my current school but I have been places where they did and hardly ever had kids failing.

BIG19
10-02-2003, 11:12 AM
HotDawg89
[QBAt the 3rd week when progress reports are handed out, if a player is failing or has a grade below an 80, they are asked to attend tutoring. If it doesn't help- and they fail- they fail. The responsibility is on the student, not the teacher. Your friend did the right thing.[/QB]Sorry to be the bearer of bad news HotDawg, but the cutoff for tutorials is 74. It is a good program and it helps the kids.

jason
10-02-2003, 11:17 AM
silver king:
Only Burnet people can answer that question.If he can play football they will find a way for him to play,regardless of age.Just WIN baby! :(this has nothing to do with age...a kid fails by lack of effort, teachers dont fail them....

HotDawg89
10-02-2003, 11:42 AM
BIG19:

HotDawg89
[QBAt the 3rd week when progress reports are handed out, if a player is failing or has a grade below an 80, they are asked to attend tutoring. If it doesn't help- and they fail- they fail. The responsibility is on the student, not the teacher. Your friend did the right thing.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news HotDawg, but the cutoff for tutorials is 74. It is a good program and it helps the kids.[/QB]I thought all of my daughter's stuff says a score 79 or below requires a signature from a parent and that tutorials are available. Of course she isn't in HS yet... oh well- I could be mistaken- it's been known to happen! :D It is still a good program for catchiing kids who might fall through the cracks. wink

HotDawg89
10-02-2003, 11:45 AM
jason:

silver king:
Only Burnet people can answer that question.If he can play football they will find a way for him to play,regardless of age.Just WIN baby! :( this has nothing to do with age...a kid fails by lack of effort, teachers dont fail them....The silver queen is making reference to his earlier statements in another thread accusing Burnet of having players "too old" to play, and then going on to say that Burnet's players "could be using" steriods. He has since edited those comments. He just has a bur in his behind about Burnet.

Backwoods
10-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Hotdawg: When your good and win, there are those that can't stand wink it and try to cut you down. Just keep on going and let them enjoy Friday Night TV during the playoffs. LOL

Pandora
10-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Spike, your friend did the right thing. I would have failed the student if I were in the same situation. The persecution of him by other members of the coaching staff is unfortunate. Perhaps they forgot the real reason that students go to school.

Wildcat81
10-02-2003, 01:45 PM
silver king:
Only Burnet people can answer that question.If he can play football they will find a way for him to play,regardless of age.Just WIN baby! :(Thats crazy what if this guy get hurt playing football and didn't learn any thing in school whats he then low paying job football isn't every thing a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

therealbulldogs
10-02-2003, 01:52 PM
The teacher did not fail the kid, he failed himself!

silver king
10-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Mr.WeinerLOVER,get it straight before you put it in your mouth.I never said Burnet player's had anything to do with that ,I said they looked older than your average 18u teen when I saw them.I think it was booger1 who brought that up and now it's you..Just get it right! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

booger1
10-02-2003, 02:23 PM
I haven't posted anything on thing on here! Besides you are #14, See Ya!

Mid80'sTarpon
10-02-2003, 02:51 PM
booger1:
I haven't posted anything on thing on here! Besides you are #14, See Ya!I second that notion.

Jimbotex40
10-02-2003, 04:43 PM
jv doesnt matter.

you should always pass starting varsity athletes though. thats a given.

Bandera YaYa
10-02-2003, 04:53 PM
and ....".another one bites the dust!"

<small>[ October 02, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

BIGRED001
10-03-2003, 03:02 PM
Ummmm.......let's see.....fail the kid, have him take responsiblity for his own actions. Pass him, let him know that society will not hold you accountable for failure. Pretty easy answer to this one in my book. Maybe 2 to 3 kids IF that, are actually going to make the pro's out of all the teams that we discuss week in and week out. A 99.9% chance that this child will have to count on a couple of things in life that will carry him with this one juncture in his life. An education to fall back on, a system of intergrity to get him through rough times, and a responsibility to himself and his actions. High school football is never worth the compromise of a student. Good for the teacher!

Commerce Fan
10-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Maybe he should keep the coach updated weekly on this kids grade. If he is a star then the coach should have been on top of this already? I am sure they get a 3 week report or if not they should ask for one?????????

spike
10-03-2003, 03:13 PM
The only reason why I even put it on the board was because he is considering quitting the profession as a result of the crap he is going through. And JimboTex, I hope and pray that you are being facetious when you say that because it that kind of crud being said by his other coaches that is making him regret being a coach. I keep telling him not all of us are like that but when we as coaches make light of stuff like this then it just preserves the negative stereotype that some of us are trying to get rid of.

I forgot which one of you said it but the latest statistics on how many kids make it past HS ball into college and then into the pros is something like 2% of all high school graduating seniors will earn a scholarship(I forget if this article was only on D1 or if it included the lower scholarship levels), and of that 2% only around 1-1.5% make it into the pros. Odds are stacked against most kids so they need to get the education so that they can give themselves a better shot at life down the road.

hornsfootball
10-03-2003, 03:15 PM
I don't agree with the whole no pass no play rule. I feel that sometimes the best a student can do is make a 66 or whatever. And not all teachers are that helpfull to football players ( i know this is not true in this case). They believe they should quit football to concentrate on their grades or something like that. ( i know this is a little off topic). Also if a kid is failing, let's say the star quarterback and he can't play in the big game, how pissed off are all the fans gonna be when their team loses or misses opportunities to make the playoffs stuff like that. Additionally, i know it is up to the student, but sometimes it's hard to go from getting everything done for you and then find one teacher not willing to do so. What are you supposed to do? I know it was the student's fault in this case, but is it always the student's fault? i think fault can lie somewhere else.

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2003, 04:27 PM
hornsfootball:
I don't agree with the whole no pass no play rule. I feel that sometimes the best a student can do is make a 66 or whatever. And not all teachers are that helpfull to football players ( i know this is not true in this case). They believe they should quit football to concentrate on their grades or something like that. ( i know this is a little off topic). Also if a kid is failing, let's say the star quarterback and he can't play in the big game, how pissed off are all the fans gonna be when their team loses or misses opportunities to make the playoffs stuff like that. Additionally, i know it is up to the student, but sometimes it's hard to go from getting everything done for you and then find one teacher not willing to do so. What are you supposed to do? I know it was the student's fault in this case, but is it always the student's fault? i think fault can lie somewhere else."It's hard to go from getting everything done for you and then find one teacher not willing to do so.." Ohhhhhhhh poor little football player....boo hoo...and slap that mean old teacher for not kissing his **** like all the others...bad teacher, bad teacher....what's a football STAR to do?????

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! :mad:

<small>[ October 03, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>