Bulldog1990
11-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Bring on Liberty Hill

eye of the tiger
11-01-2002, 11:14 PM
Burnet still looking good. Congrats.

BurnetBulldog
11-02-2002, 11:41 AM
The first half of the game Burnet moved the ball effortlessly and scored at will. The big three (Miller, Shipley, and McGee) provided the fireworks.

Second half of the game Burnet still controlled the game yet was not as fluid as the first half. Shipley was called for a fumble which it appeared from my view pt (along with everyone in the stands) that the ground caused the fumble.

One key thing Burnet should work on is the kicking game (extra pt.) Hate to see a championship game come down to either an extra pt or a field goal. Don't get me wrong the kicker (don't know his name off hand) can kick some bombs but needs to work on accuracey.

Also was a little baffled on when Shipley was apparently injured on a helmet hit to his elbow that the coaches didn't take him out of the next play. Especially when it was 4th down and Ingram was going for it (without much chance of making it based on the previous 3 quarters) and Shipley was needed to return the punt. For the most part the coaches make good decisions and it was more than likely Shipley who kept himself in there but it's not needed. They shouldn't take a chance with any of their weapons when all of the remaining games are huge now.

The game was well worth the drive for me and my friend (grads 90 and 89) from Austin. We'll be there with some more Burnet grads when Burnet takes on undefeated Liberty Who...I mean Liberty Hill ;-) Since all I can base LH on is what I've heard through the message boards is that they have a good running game and decent D. However, I think Burnet has too many weapons (besides the big 3) for LH to cover. I expect a much better game this next week with the obvious edge going to Burnet (35 - 21).

Shotgun73
11-02-2002, 04:34 PM
BurnetBulldog:
The first half of the game Burnet moved the ball effortlessly and scored at will. The big three (Miller, Shipley, and McGee) provided the fireworks.

Second half of the game Burnet still controlled the game yet was not as fluid as the first half. Shipley was called for a fumble which it appeared from my view pt (along with everyone in the stands) that the ground caused the fumble.

One key thing Burnet should work on is the kicking game (extra pt.) Hate to see a championship game come down to either an extra pt or a field goal. Don't get me wrong the kicker (don't know his name off hand) can kick some bombs but needs to work on accuracey.

Also was a little baffled on when Shipley was apparently injured on a helmet hit to his elbow that the coaches didn't take him out of the next play. Especially when it was 4th down and Ingram was going for it (without much chance of making it based on the previous 3 quarters) and Shipley was needed to return the punt. For the most part the coaches make good decisions and it was more than likely Shipley who kept himself in there but it's not needed. They shouldn't take a chance with any of their weapons when all of the remaining games are huge now.

The game was well worth the drive for me and my friend (grads 90 and 89) from Austin. We'll be there with some more Burnet grads when Burnet takes on undefeated Liberty Who...I mean Liberty Hill ;-) Since all I can base LH on is what I've heard through the message boards is that they have a good running game and decent D. However, I think Burnet has too many weapons (besides the big 3) for LH to cover. I expect a much better game this next week with the obvious edge going to Burnet (35 - 21).Sounds to me like you would make a good coach.

BurnetBulldog
11-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Thanks. Just calling the game as I saw it from the cheap seats. It's easy to second guess alot of calls/plays but there were two things that bugged me in the game. One being not taking Shipley out and the kicking game.

Burnet's last chance at state in 91 came down to one touchdown. Would be very disappointing to see it come down to one kick.

Puppetmaster101
11-02-2002, 06:22 PM
The kicker is Mason Templeton

BurnetBulldog
11-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks! Burnet football regulars let me know if this may have been a one game poor performance by Templeton (b/c of weather or just circumstances) or if there has always been an iffey chance when it came to the accuracey.

dawgdad
11-02-2002, 09:31 PM
The comment about Burnet being slow in the second half was because the score was already 40-0. Several starters were removed and replaced with backup players, they were even able to score. No use in using key players and getting them injured on a field that was wet and against a team that was not a threat to win.

dawgdad
11-02-2002, 09:31 PM
The comment about Burnet being slow in the second half was because the score was already 40-0. Several starters were removed and replaced with backup players, they were even able to score. No use in using key players and getting them injured on a field that was wet and against a team that was not a threat to win.

BurnetBulldog
11-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Sorry for the confusion as I didn't mean Burnet was slow. Starters were obviously removed b/c of the score but that was mid way through the third quarter. The first team still remained in there on at least the first two series (D and Off) of the second half. And unfortunately they weren't exactly as tight as they were in the first half. Just an honest observation that I saw.

I absolutely agree in taking the starters out to preserve them for the bigger games coming up. Which brings me to the "Why keep Shipley in on D with a 47 pt lead?"

<small>[ November 02, 2002, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: BurnetBulldog ]</small>

greendog fan
11-02-2002, 11:04 PM
I think Shiply was kept in the whole game was to impress the scouts.

spaniard
11-02-2002, 11:14 PM
greendog fan:
I think Shiply was kept in the whole game was to impress the scouts.my only complaint with this, and this is just my opinion yall, is that shipley still has another year and hes already getting all this attention while an oustanding running and blocking and recieving back named patrick miller gets basically no recognition or attention for his performance. miller has got so much breakaway ability and speed that i am impressed everytime he runs the ball. open field tackles on him are basically impossible unless there are at least two guys trying take him down. his explosion with the ball in hand is just crazy. i would like to see some more recognition given to him, but hey, whos gonna listen to a spaniard wink

BurnetBulldog
11-03-2002, 12:56 AM
spaniard I understand what you're saying and I happen to think P. Miller is an outstanding TB. Yet when you're on a team of talent and you have someone like Shipley who is a 4 position player it's hard not to have the headlines like he does. Miller deserves all the recognition that he can get for his accomplishments/continuing accomplishments.

Shipley will grab the headlines as long as he continues to do what he does best....which is play football. There is alot of talent on the this Burnet squad and a good chunk which will be playing with alot of college teams. But Shipley has the potential with his athletic talent that can propel him to the highest level in the sport. This is already being recognized by other writers in Texas with him being a JR. It's unfortunate that one player can take away the spotlight of another good player..especially a SR player who deserves equal headline time for his ability. But typically it's not that big of a difference as when I read about Burnet all three of the players are mentioned.

spaniard
11-03-2002, 01:09 AM
yeah, i see what you mean, but to me it seems like the papers are just trying their darndest to give shipley 99% of the air time and reading space. like i said before, i think that other players need to recieve more recognition than they have been given. shipley is a junior, and still has another year to go, its incredible what all he has accomplished since hes been here, and we all know that he will do much more, but it seems like most people think hes the only reason burnet is 9-0. in the game against austin reagan, the austin papers credited only shipley and reagan turnovers and penalties to the 33-6 victory over the #5 raiders. in that game miller had, if i remember correctly, over 150 rushing yards, and mcgee had over 150 passing yards. while shipley had an oustanding game, these two also had a great game. shipley does provide an exciting element to burnet high school football, but i guess my thing is, is that others who have awesome talent are hidden from the limelite bc of the attention paid to shipley. im sure that a lot of burnet people will hate me for feeling this way, but its my opinion, and im entitled to it :D

Old Dog
11-03-2002, 01:42 AM
Shipley's talent has two edges. By his getting so much attention, other players get opportunities to break out. I have noticed another thing, that once in a while frustrated opponents will take some questionable shots. It has to be maddening to play against someone of that talent level!

BurnetBulldog
11-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Understand I'm playing devils advocate right now b/c I agree all the players deserve equal attention.

But if you bring up the Reagan game yes Patrick had a great game (10 carries for 148 yds and a td.) Great numbers but when you look at what Shipley did it's easy to see why they write about him. Shipley scored four touchdowns in four different ways: a 76-yard punt return, a 4-yard run, a 28-yard catch and a 30-yard interception return. Plus he had that one acrobatic catch which caught him air time on the news.

Like I said Miller is an outstanding back (which is why he's had two college offers.) But Shipley's performance usually over shadows anyone's stats on the team. All three of them (McGee, Miller, and Shipley) came in ranked in the top 5 for their respective positions (#4 QB, #5 RB, and #3 WR.)

The point is this...I don't think this is a hinderance of any kind for the team. In fact it allows them to strive to excel that much more. Plus as was mentioned before b/c these guys, especially Shipley, get the attention. It opens up things for the rest of the players.

<small>[ November 03, 2002, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: BurnetBulldog ]</small>

spaniard
11-03-2002, 06:29 PM
i gotcha, sometimes it takes a while for me to see things through everyone elses eyes.

bigtimeplaya
11-03-2002, 09:47 PM
i wish somehow Burnet would get to play Clyde in the playoffs somewhere because from what i have heard of wide reciever Shipley of Burnett and what ive seen of cornerback Chaney from Clyde, it would be an AWESOME matchup. Chaney has 7 pics on the year and has had one pass completed on his side all year. would be a great matchup...