PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport 46 - Pilot Point 35 final

slpybear the bullfan
09-14-2002, 12:56 AM
I will just ditto and plaigarize some of what "The One" said...

Pilot Point came out blazing away and G.A. called a heck of a game. It kept the Bulls mostly off balance in the first half. Bridgeport gives up two key turnovers in the half and PPoint captializes. Half score, PP 21, BP 19.

Bridgeport scored 27 unanswered points to start the next half. Second stringers started going in, PP scored a couple of late TD's one on last play of the game on a hail mary. Bridgeport's QB had 421 yds passing through 3 quarters of play.

Final Score, Bulls 46 - BearCats 35

Hat's off to the Pilot Point Bearcats. Great ballclub and Coach Moore coached his team extrememly well and had them ready to play.

Have a good weekend guys, watch a lot of football,

slpybear

"Go Bulls!"

PPHSfan
09-14-2002, 02:46 AM
Pretty acurate description of the game, but you left out one key factor. Pilot Point lost its star rusher and defensive back Sammy Salas to a knee injury late in the first half. Had Sammy played the second this game might have been even closer. Wow does Bridgeport have a QB or what? This kid has a real bright future ahead of him. Hats off to the Bulls they played a great game. And the Bridgeport fans i thought were terrific. Good Luck to you guys the rest of the season. Maybe we will get a rematch in the playoffs.

The One
09-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Well I will say that Pilot Point has a good team, They should be able to get into the playoffs with the third place spot, but I dont know if they will be able to make any noise in the playoffs.
As for the game, I thought offensively Bridgeport played their worst game of the year. They didnt protect the ball, two early turnovers turned into 14pts for Pilot Point (though I do give some credit to the PP's D). The receivers had their worst game of the year catching the ball (though this could be attributed to the worst case of lighting for a football field I have ever seen). The Bridgeport Defense really played good especially in the 3rd quarter (allowed 6yds), if they play all year like they did in 3rd quarter then look out. Turnovers really hurt Bridgeport last night I dont think the game was actually as close as what the score was. What was encouraging is when Bridgeport was down in the 1st half they came out the second Half and put any doubts of who going to win the game away early. They totally dominated the 3rd quarter. All in all its a W and we'll take that. It was a costly game for Pilot Point losing their good RB as well as for Bridgeport losing 3 defensive stars. Good luck to PP. Hope the injured get well!

slpybear the bullfan
09-14-2002, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with you about the lighting, that was pretty poor. I kind of chuckled, because the PA announcer said there was a sponser for everything, stats, updates, touchdown call... maybe one of those sponsers could start helping out with the lighting.

You know, I went to see a game at Perrin one time and it was even worse... Gotta love TX HS Football...

slpybear

BullsFan
09-14-2002, 01:57 PM
I think it could have been a very different game had PPoint's running back not gone out when he did. I've never seen a kid run like that, both in terms of speed and his ability to avoid the other guy. He reminded me a lot of Emmitt Smith (in his early days). Emmitt had that ability to do a little spin and keep on going as well. Anyone heard as to the severity of of last night's injury?

slpybear, you forgot that we also had announcer "commercials" for each time out. "This time out brought to you by [name of local place here]!" The lighting was terrible, and I suspect that may have hurt our receivers. That one bank of lights suspended halfway down the pole would have been right in their eyes when they were looking for the high passes, and that was the only bright lights in the stadium.

I do think G.A. Moore must be a heckuva coach. But do you suppose he might want to explain to his boys that only 11 people can be out on the field at once? I don't remember ever seeing a high school game with not one but two "12 men on the field" penalties.

Overall, it was a good game. I think after the last two games Bridgeport needed a challenge, and we definitely got one last night. Victories that we really have to work for are always sweeter, and Moore and the Bearcats really made us work for it.

slpybear the bullfan
09-14-2002, 04:31 PM
Yeah, and those danged ole monkeys with the bellhop hats on kept flying around the top of the light poles....

GRIN... WINK....

slpybear

BullsFan
09-15-2002, 07:38 AM
I don't care what anyone says, those lights *were* blinking. Pffft on all you doubters. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

PPHSfan
09-15-2002, 07:36 PM
OK guys sorry but I have stood by quietly as long as i can. In my first post I gave the bulls alot of credit for a game well played and was content with saying so, until all the Bulls fans had to start making excuses for only winning by eleven points. So now I am going to make a few points of my own. The Bulls first touchdown came after a terrible call by the refs on a play that should have been ruled a fumble or at the very least intentional grounding on the part of Bridgeport. That bad call set up the first Bulls TD. Two of the second half TD's by the bulls came after unsuccefull fourth and fifteen yrd attempts that were turned into automatic first downs because of holding calls against the pilot point defense. Two unlucky breaks for the bearcats or two lucky breaks for the bulls, however you wanna slice it. Not to mention the fact again that up until Pilot Point lost their star running back, the PP game plan of pounding the ball on the ground and keeping the Bridgeport offense off of the field was working well, as the score at the time of PP 21 Bridgeport 13 would attest. And last but not least, all of the complaints about the lighting? Come on guys that QB for the bulls coulda threw for four hundred yrds with Those recievers if we had all had to circle the field and use our pickup trucks headlights for lighting. This is all said in the best of sportsmanship but lets give some credit where credit is due. The bulls came to town expecting an easy win, and they rode home on the bus sore, tired and feeling thankful that they got out alive. Yes, the bulls are definatley a team worthy of a top ten ranking and may go all the way this year, but don't make excuses for not pulverizing a good football team like the Bearcats. Best of luck this year bulls, a little luck couldn't hurt either you know.

BullsFan
09-15-2002, 07:49 PM
PPHSfan, I don't think any of us were trying to make excuses for an 11 point victory. As I said in my earlier post, it was a hard victory at a time when I think we needed a hard victory. Our first two games were pretty easy, and I think our boys needed a challenge. PPoint was most definitely that.

But the fact of the matter is, the lighting at your stadium *is* poor. We couldn't see our cheerleaders faces. There were huge, dark shadows on the field, which tells me it's a lot darker than any of the other stadiums we've played at. I don't remember a field ever where we could see those kinds of shadows. There's one bank of very bright lights set in the middle of the polls, and it would be right where our receivers were looking for high passes. Did that contribute to the dropped passes? Maybe, maybe not. Obviously not all of them, because some of the dropped passes were bullets right down the middle. We were definitely off our game in the first half, and PPoint was on theirs. And yes, your running back is VERY impressive--I also said that in my earlier post. While slpybear may disagree, I believe the game would have been very different if he hadn't gone out. I like to think we still would have won--I feel sure our first string wouldn't have gone out as early as they did. But then again when you've got a quarterback like Daugherty, I personally think it's extremely foolish to take too many chances with him, and I'm always in favor of taking him out ASAP in preseason games.

I also think there were bad calls on both sides. I saw pass interference calls that went unpenalized on both sides. I also seem to recall that the PPoint quarterback did a lot of throwing the ball away. It's a very effective move if you can get away with it, and he almost always did. Honestly, it seemed like the refs were calling everything they could in the first half, and by the end of the fourth quarter they weren't calling *anything*. (Was it just me or was this a loooong game??)

In any case, I want to assure you that no one in Bridgeport that I'm aware of is taking this victory for granted. You've got an excellent team and a super-excellent coach. That much was obvious from the beginning. It seemed like your defense really had our number, and that to me is good coaching and use of tapes. I think you guys will go far this year, and I'll personally be rooting for you guys when you play Celina.

Best of luck to you!

PPHSfan
09-15-2002, 07:57 PM
THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS AND WELL WISHES BULLSFAN. WE HAVE A BYE WEEK COMING UP IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND YOU CAN BET I WILL BE COMING TO SEE YALL PLAY, JUST FOR THE PLEASURE OF WATCHING PHILLIP AND COMPANY DO THEIR THING. AS FOR THE LIGHTING, BEFORE WHEN YOU SAID IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN HARD ON YOUR RECIEVERS I DIDN'T GIVE IT MUCH THOUGHT, BUT WHEN YOU CANT SEE THE CHEERLEADERS FACES, THAT IS DEFINATLEY A PROBLEM. REST ASSURED THAT I WILL BE DOING ALL I CAN TO PUT AN END TO THIS PROBLEM :-)

hornet03
09-15-2002, 08:00 PM
If you guys were the ones to beat Celina ,I would name Pilot Point as my heros because I absolutely despise those guys. So do 3a a favor, and wipe the field with those guys.

PPHSfan
09-15-2002, 08:01 PM
Hornet you can rest assured we will do our best.

BullsFan
09-15-2002, 11:32 PM
AS FOR THE LIGHTING, BEFORE WHEN YOU SAID IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN HARD ON YOUR RECIEVERS I DIDN'T GIVE IT MUCH THOUGHT, BUT WHEN YOU CANT SEE THE CHEERLEADERS FACES, THAT IS DEFINATLEY A PROBLEM. REST ASSURED THAT I WILL BE DOING ALL I CAN TO PUT AN END TO THIS PROBLEM :-)

PPHSfan, believe me when I tell you that not seeing the cheerleader's faces is NOT a problem with me. The only time I usually notice them is when one of them falls. I was just trying to illustrate the lighting problem.

However, there might have been a couple of guys in the crowd who were a little more disturbed than I was. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

slpybear the bullfan
09-15-2002, 11:42 PM
AHEM!!!

Yeah, I think there is a problem when I can't see the Cheerleader's faces... How else do I tell if I am in sync with the "BRIDGEPORT... BULLLS... NUMBER... ONE..." Cheer??!! LOL

Yeah, I will disagree with you Bullsfan about Salas' departure. My take on it is that wearing down a team by running all the time goes both ways. When you get out of gas you don't run as well. I think Bport had a fresher set of legs on the Defense in the end because of depth.

If I didn't say it well enough earlier, my hat's off to PPoint. Good game plan, good execution. It is HS football and squirrly things wind up happening. I was happy for the win.

Bullsfan, check my post on the rivalries topic.

slpybear

BullsFan
09-15-2002, 11:52 PM
What do you mean "in sync", slpy? Don't you and your buddy do your own cheers anyway? http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Salas. I'm not saying his staying in would have caused us to lose, but I do think it would have changed the tenor of the game. And it's easy to say we had fresher legs at the end--they hadn't been running after that kid the entire game. I honestly think he's the fastest I've ever seen, and as you know, we've seen a lot of good running backs. He really reminded me of Emmitt Smith--he could spin right out of a defender's grasp and never break stride. And he'd go right through 3 or 4 of our guys and somehow he'd come out of it--still on his feet. He was *good*.

I think we still would have won. IMO, we've got the best arm in the state for a QB. But I think I would have done a lot more nail-biting than I did.

(And I did a pretty good job as it was.)

Oh, I already fixed the rivalry post. Only you would know that was a mistake... *g*

MFin
09-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Let me put the game in a new perspective:

Sammy Salas got hurt, bad for Pilot Point.

B'port had worst offensive show to date (C. Martinez dropped almost every pass thrown to him and J. Young had soapy fingers as well, dropped at least two), bad for B'port.

B'port got calls that gave them first downs.

B'port got calls that took them away.

PP got calls that gave them good yardage, and several that took yardage away.

B'port threw a touchdown pass, a penalty took that away.

B'port imprudently and some might say arrogantly put in second stringers against a wicked good coach, bad for B'port.

In the end, who knows what the outcome would have been if things would have been different.

Both teams played well.

Go Bulls.

Good luck PP, hope Sammy S. gets well soon.