PDA

View Full Version : DCTF Texas Football Friday iOS/Android App

Ville-D
08-26-2022, 02:36 PM
I have been using this app since the first year it came out (miss you Jason & Tony). I thought it would be good when Fox Sports SW bought it... they kept it pretty much the same and it worked well. Then DCTF took it over and tried to change the UI last year and had to roll it back after week one because it didn't work. (and the new layout sucked IMO)

I just started looking at it yesterday and they have changed to the new UI again. It seemed to work ok last night (Thursday) but today I cannot open Chat section for any of the popular games, so we are back to a non working app again.

Test it if you will... See if you can get into the "Sville / Midlo Htg" game chat... I cannot.

I understand DCTF wanting to make this a another platform for their "Pay to read" articles, but when the free parts don't work, but the pay to read section is working GREAT.

d0tc0m
08-26-2022, 07:20 PM
It’s really, really, really bad. DCTF ought to be embarrassed.

No lie, I teach app design/programming and I am using the DCTF app as an example of poor UI/UX concepts and how not to rollout updates to your platform.

d0tc0m
08-26-2022, 07:24 PM
I can’t even get the scores to work. I open the different sections and try to scroll down and it jumps to the top of that section no matter what. Even if I scroll down quickly and then don’t touch the screen.

DCTF will inevitably have to roll this thing back all over again. They need a new team of developers … whether it’s in-house or outsourced.

stardog
08-26-2022, 09:29 PM
APP sucks !!!

lbjacj
08-26-2022, 10:12 PM
Horrible!

cougartino
08-27-2022, 07:12 AM
That was so frustrating. I was able to get it to work for all of 10 seconds.

Matthew328
08-27-2022, 08:57 AM
The bones of the app worked and handled the Friday night traffic...there are issues with making it user friendly but the base scoring functionality worked...the old app isn't coming back, the developers have work to do to get this one cleaner and user friendly and I think each week there will be tweaks made...Ive got a list already sent off

d0tc0m
08-27-2022, 02:02 PM
The bones of the app worked and handled the Friday night traffic...there are issues with making it user friendly but the base scoring functionality worked...the old app isn't coming back, the developers have work to do to get this one cleaner and user friendly and I think each week there will be tweaks made...Ive got a list already sent off

The developers have a lot of work to do. Thats a massive understatement. That’s two years in a row now that DCTF has given a master class of how not to roll out a new app/product. And it’s crazy, because everything else you guys do is amazing, but your dev team presents like a bunch of middle schoolers using Scratch for the first time. I’m a subscriber and have been since that option was first offered. Hell, I would even pay for the app if it’d make it better … the old one, not this one. But taking something that was really good and making it really bad and calling it “progress” is absurd. You can talk all you want about back-end issues. I don’t doubt it. That comes with every app. It’s a constant process of updating and patching vulnerabilities. That takes planning. That takes forethought. That takes testing. AND that’s totally separate from scrapping a product and making a totally new and horribly awry product which is what you guys have done. I get you defending it, just like you did last year, but DCTF’s overall stubbornness to just admit it’s in over its head and has been wrong about this from the start is frustrating. You keep talking about things needing to be worked out, but DCTF had A YEAR to work them out. Longer than that, actually, because I would imagine development for this app started in 2020 at least. But what you guys pushed on everyone feels like a really bad beta. You shouldn’t be rolling out “bones” to your consumers. If you need beta testers, great, GO GET BETAs to sort this stuff out. But these bugs you’re talking about are not minor. We’re talking major functionality issues. Major UI issues. No UX work done at all. Not to mention the entire aesthetic is several steps behind the old app. This POS looks like the developers just finished compiling the damn thing yesterday and you guys closed your eyes, forced everyone to update and said “We’ll see.”

Matthew328
08-27-2022, 03:37 PM
The developers have a lot of work to do. Thats a massive understatement. That’s two years in a row now that DCTF has given a master class of how not to roll out a new app/product. And it’s crazy, because everything else you guys do is amazing, but your dev team presents like a bunch of middle schoolers using Scratch for the first time. I’m a subscriber and have been since that option was first offered. Hell, I would even pay for the app if it’d make it better … the old one, not this one. But taking something that was really good and making it really bad and calling it “progress” is absurd. You can talk all you want about back-end issues. I don’t doubt it. That comes with every app. It’s a constant process of updating and patching vulnerabilities. That takes planning. That takes forethought. That takes testing. AND that’s totally separate from scrapping a product and making a totally new and horribly awry product which is what you guys have done. I get you defending it, just like you did last year, but DCTF’s overall stubbornness to just admit it’s in over its head and has been wrong about this from the start is frustrating. You keep talking about things needing to be worked out, but DCTF had A YEAR to work them out. Longer than that, actually, because I would imagine development for this app started in 2020 at least. But what you guys pushed on everyone feels like a really bad beta. You shouldn’t be rolling out “bones” to your consumers. If you need beta testers, great, GO GET BETAs to sort this stuff out. But these bugs you’re talking about are not minor. We’re talking major functionality issues. Major UI issues. No UX work done at all. Not to mention the entire aesthetic is several steps behind the old app. This POS looks like the developers just finished compiling the damn thing yesterday and you guys closed your eyes, forced everyone to update and said “We’ll see.”

Appreciate your feedback

d0tc0m
08-27-2022, 04:53 PM
Appreciate your feedback

Nah that was just ranting, not productive feedback. I wrote more technical feedback on the App Store that hopefully finds its way — along with others’ feedback — to the dev team.

Sorry if it came off as a personal attack against you, Stepp. I know you’re not an app developer. I like you, love your work, love DCTF as a whole. Just really, really want you guys to get this thing right, because it feels like an integral part of the fans’ Friday Night experience has been taken and replaced by an inferior one for no real reason, and the powers that be are just like, “aww shucks, we’ll work on it.”

Tejastrue
08-27-2022, 06:11 PM
Most excitement we've had on here in a long time however brief. Thanks gentlemen. lol

jason
08-28-2022, 09:49 AM
Why buy it if you're just gonna scrap it and try to recreate it anyway? Just build your own and if it's better people will switch. Just like people switched from the 3adl to Twitter now to apps. That's progress. Just my opinion as a techy.

Matthew328
08-28-2022, 07:48 PM
Why buy it if you're just gonna scrap it and try to recreate it anyway? Just build your own and if it's better people will switch. Just like people switched from the 3adl to Twitter now to apps. That's progress. Just my opinion as a techy.

I wont get into why Tony and Jason decided to sell what they created, thats their business.

Once we purchased the app a few years back it was very apparent that the back end of the app that was built was not compatible with our system and required a lot of manual work to load data, the old app was also not built to handle realignment or new schools coming in so as more and more schools kept getting added, there was more manual coding and work on top of it to add in each new school since it wasn't feeding the same...basically we just kept putting duct tape on in the back end to make it work....

Scoop27
08-28-2022, 08:40 PM
I've never tried to use it because i'm not app savy anyway so I don't care either way. I just post score updates by listening to audio game streams or from calling radio stations from our area

Scoop27
08-28-2022, 08:52 PM
I still own and use a10-year flip phone to only make calls on

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-28-2022, 08:55 PM
I still own and use a10-year flip phone to only make calls on

Damn, and I thought I was old school. You take the cake!

Ville-D
08-29-2022, 01:21 PM

I agree.

Matthew328
08-31-2022, 06:31 AM
App has had an update pushed early this AM...provides a cleaner look, games are in chronological order and there should be a fix on people going in scoring games early

jason
08-31-2022, 08:43 AM
App has had an update pushed early this AM...provides a cleaner look, games are in chronological order and there should be a fix on people going in scoring games early

love the games near me and option to easily look at games by classification - positive step forward!