View Full Version : #3 LaGrange Leopards

Matthew328
07-03-2002, 01:03 PM
LaGrange Leopards
School Colors: Purple, Gold and White
Last Year: 12-4 Div 2 State Finalist
Starters Returning: 5 offense 3 defense
Key Players: QB Chase Anderle, RB Greg Boothe, LB Josh Johnson

Matthew328's outlook: LaGrange has been one of the best teams in the state the last 2 years winning it all in 2000 and making it all the way to the tittle game..this year LG will be a little young but they could still be the team to beat even though they have moved to Region 3..Anderle leads the offense he took over in the third week and revived a struggling offense..Boothe is a powerful back who won't out run many but he will run many over...LG should have a huge and powerful offensive line as well...the defense was hurt by graduation they will be led by speedy LB's Sam Gunn and Josh Johnson...really you could flip flop LG and Sinton at 3 and 4 they seem to be fairly even...look out for the Leopards especially if Elgin makes the postseason and they go Div 2...

RBARKER
07-03-2002, 01:48 PM
I Think Lagrange is a little overrated this year. They may have skipped through region 4 but Region 3 will be a little tougher. I think everyone will see that the competition is a little better in most cases in Reg. 3. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me? I think they should be ranked around 9th they are not in the same class as a Sinton or an Everman.

Matthew328
07-03-2002, 01:53 PM
Actually I think I may have overrated them a little bit.... I think they could struggle some like last year but they are winners and they just know how to win and that can never be overrated...but after really breaking things down I prolly shoulda had em a lil lower...but I can't go back on my picks now!! LOL

rwhite
07-03-2002, 04:24 PM
I think that if Bellville and La Grange both go D2 they will play eachother first round right? I'm sure they will see eachother some time in the play-offs and that should be a good game.

BellvilleDude
07-03-2002, 04:37 PM
yep could happen if, if ethier navasota or stafford make the plays offs

bigman33
07-03-2002, 05:39 PM
LG will be young and they will have to get through Elgin. But, with the experience of winning games, LG might upset Elgin. You just never know. But, with the returning players that Elgin has, I believe they may be the favorites. LG, though, has a gamer in Anderle, he takes control of that football team.

M.PIRATEFAN
07-03-2002, 09:11 PM
I think that Mathis will play LaGrange for the third year in a row.But this time Mathis will prevail to all those Leps.

Chris Hart
07-04-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by RBARKER:
I Think Lagrange is a little overrated this year. They may have skipped through region 4 but Region 3 will be a little tougher. I think everyone will see that the competition is a little better in most cases in Reg. 3. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me? I think they should be ranked around 9th they are not in the same class as a Sinton or an Everman.
If I'm not mistaken after winning reg.4 didn't LaGrange beat the Reg.3 winner before going to state.

Jacket2000
07-04-2002, 02:00 AM
Yes, they did. But, Giddings had just had an all-out war with Newton, beat the #1 defense in the state the week before that, demolished Dibol(who was pretty damn good) in area, and had played two very good teams the last two weeks of the season. LG, on the other hand, had breezed through district(excluding Bellville)and hadnt even been challeneged in the playoffs untill Wimberley. LG had a much easier road.
J2K

BellvilleDude
07-04-2002, 10:52 PM
bellville tore them up

BigChees10
07-05-2002, 02:03 AM
Bellville might not have "tore them up" if they had played legally. Injuring two quarterbacks that way plays from each other isn't legal and y'all knew it as well as we did. No one knows what the actually outcome might have been had Bellville played legally.

oldbuff78
07-05-2002, 09:09 AM
Jacket 2000 is a smart man!!!!

Chris Hart
07-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Injuries are part of the game big cheese, if someone is injured by taking hard hits that is just the way the ball bounces,every team has to overcome injuries.Bellville just had a better team period.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

rwhite
07-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by BigChees10:
Bellville might not have "tore them up" if they had played legally. Injuring two quarterbacks that way plays from each other isn't legal and y'all knew it as well as we did. No one knows what the actually outcome might have been had Bellville played legally.

I dont know where you are from. But i would mostlikly say La Grange because all La Grange people are babys about everything. If i rember right Bellville was up 14-0 with yalls 1st string QB. And he should of been glad he got hurt cause if he would have played the whole game yall would have no excuss. Injurys are part of the game, so you have to expect them to happen. And yall stuck up La Grange people might not of knowin this...but the guy who first hurt Chase was very upset about it and could hardly go on with the game. And the outcome would have been the same no matter what cause with the d-fence we had last year not too many people scored more than 21 points on us.

[This message has been edited by rwhite (edited July 05, 2002).]

hsfan
07-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Bellville might as you say "tore up" LaGrange this pass season, but which team has the 2000 3A State Trophy sitting in their cabinet? Also, I bet all those boys from LaGrange would gladly let you see up close what a State Championship Ring looks like. How many young men from Bellville have rings from the past two football seasons? Let's see, could that be 0!

BellvilleDude
07-05-2002, 08:41 PM
whoa chris i hear some good words from you thats a first,

Chris Hart
07-05-2002, 09:09 PM
truth is always good Bellvilledude.
You know me I'm a man of the truth.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

hsfan
07-06-2002, 08:48 AM
To all you Bellville guys out there: Take a look at the home page and click on the link for the state championships games and tell me where is Bellville's game? Also, look at the All-State team and point out all the 1st team players from Bellville. Let's see LaGrange has played in the last two state games and has 3 players named to the 1st team All-State team. One out of three is a CO-MVP selection for Defensive Player of the Year. Looks like LaGrange has a quality program going. What say you Bellville guys? Poor Bellville, I guess jealousy can be a great motivator?

BellvilleDude
07-06-2002, 10:30 AM
also look at the route yall took last year, during the playoffs, very easy till yall got to wimberly

BellvilleDude
07-06-2002, 10:30 AM
also look at the route yall took last year, during the playoffs, very easy till yall got to wimberly

hsfan
07-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Whatever bellville dude. I have just one question, what does bellville have to show for in athletics from the past two seasons? LaGrange: State Championship in football 2000, State runner-up in football 2001 and State Championship in Baseball 2001. Say what you want, but the fact is LaGrange had the better program in 25 3A over the past two years.

Chris Hart
07-06-2002, 11:09 AM
I'm not a Bellville fan by any stretch of the imagination, but you could have taken any of these Div 1 Reg 4 teams and put them in div 2 and they would have been state champions not runner-ups.
Burnet,Bandera,Bellville or Sinton any of these teams would have been state champs.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

hsfan
07-06-2002, 11:13 AM
Excuse me, but didn't Burnet loose to Wimberly during the season? Also, didn't Wimberly play Bandera too? The fact is LaGrange had the better program!

Chris Hart
07-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Burnet was robbed of the go ahead score late in the fourth against Wimberley and they were deep in Wimberley territory as time expired.14 of Wimberley's points came on pass plays where the defenders slid down,(wet surface)early in the game.Burnet changed shoes at halftime dominated from there out.Wimberley did not play Bandera.

rwhite
07-06-2002, 12:16 PM
Alright lets see here....Bellville won the district in boys and girls crosscounrty, volleyball(10-0), football(7-0),boys and girls track (boys dominated), girls tennis, girls golf, and baseball got second with two very close losses to La Grange...somthing like 3-2 then 4-3, and La Grange had a great baseball team. But it seems to me that Bellville dominated 25-3A

[This message has been edited by rwhite (edited July 06, 2002).]

gdornon11
07-06-2002, 02:52 PM
HSfan, how many football players from la grange were good enough to play at the next level.bellville has around seven players going to play college ball on scholarship and a few will walk on.from what i have been told, your "all-state" players arent even playing anywhere. that is just what i have been told though. can you fill me in on that information.thanks

hsfan
07-06-2002, 03:14 PM
WOW, you guys won district. That's cool. Let's see, do you think any guy on bellville's football squad would trade that district championship in for a state championship? I bet those LaGrange boys wouldn't dare trade in their STATE CHAMPIONSHIP for a district championship! Bellville is not bad, just not as good as LaGrange!!!!!! By the way, how many games did bellville play in the last two yrs? LaGrange played in 32!

gdornon11
07-07-2002, 12:46 AM
hsfan, i am not understanding your thinking. how can la grange be a better team than bellville. 31-7 is not a close score. also bellville beat sealy who also beat la grange. did la grange just have an off night those 2 games. explain to me. please.

Pudlugger
07-07-2002, 08:52 AM
Regarding the Belleville-La Grange game and the controversial penalties:
response to Chris Hart:
It wasn't an injury from a hard hit. It was an intentional and prolonged facemak all the way to the ground from behind after Anderle turned the corner. He beat the defensive end and would have scored. The very next play with our 2nd string Qb the SAME thing happened! There was almost a riot in our stands. After that, our 3rd string Qb went in and we scored, making it 10-7 going into half-time. Anderle was hurt, played anyway but obviously was not a factor after that. He had torn neck muscles and required physical therapy following the game. Just lucky he didn't suffer a C-spine injury. I saw it happen and I thought he was seriously injured when he lay motionless for several minutes. The kid that did it must have thought so too as he appeared shaken. I still think the Belleville coach should have better control of his players.

As for the outcome, Belleville 31-7, I can only say La Grange got whipped. They were mugged and they never regained composure, instead losing focus and unable to move the offense. This is not unusual as we are talking about 16 and 17 year old kids who can be very emotional. How much did Anderle's injury have to do with this? Probably alot, as up until the injury the offense was controlling the tempo. Belleville scored its TD on a fumble recovery on the 5 yard line and had to settle for a FG on their only drive. The score was run up in the 4th quarter when La Grange's defense was worn out. Bellevile scored the final TD in the last minute against our 2nd string D when it was all over anyway which was fitting seeing how the game was played from the beginning. I think Belleville was the better team physically that evening but I know that the incident above played a big role in the outcome.

The rivalry between these schools is way over heated and it is good that they are in different districts this year. Before this game their cheerleaders ran out on the field with a huge sign saying "Where is your Gunn this year?" Referring to Tye Gunn's graduation. What the hell is that all about? And the stadium has a big sign over the press box that says "Welcome to the Field of Pain" A fitting testimonial to the intentional facemasking IMHO. The La Grange JV played Belleville twice (as Hallettesville Smithville didn't field a JV team that year) and beat them twice. In both games our guys were punched and kicked in pileups after the whistle, leading to several penalties, a fight and player ejections (three for Belleville, one for La Grange). The Belleville coach had to physically restrain his players who tried to storm the field to fight our team during the final seconds when we ran out the clock. I have never seen anything like it in high school foortball. it was ugely. If these two teams meet in the play-offs I can tell you it will be an emotionally charged game and both coaching staffs will need to control their players.

BellvilleDude
07-07-2002, 12:41 PM
your guys had some cheap shots in the JV game to, how about some racial slurs to are african american running backs, and then some hits after the whistle, i got hit in the knee after the whistle had blown

gdornon11
07-07-2002, 12:41 PM
pudlugger, have you seen any of la granges 7 on 7 games. is that the real team or are some of the players gone. i sure hope thats not the team because there isnt 1 kid over 6 feet tall and no one over 200 lbs.

Jacket2000
07-07-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by gdornon11:
pudlugger, have you seen any of la granges 7 on 7 games. is that the real team or are some of the players gone. i sure hope thats not the team because there isnt 1 kid over 6 feet tall and no one over 200 lbs.
Most teams dont bring linemen to 7 on 7 tourneys.
J2K

grell7
07-07-2002, 01:57 PM
hey pudlugger, i don't remember trying to storm the field to fight any of your players when we played yall, and we did play dirty but your players played just as bad.

BellvilleDude
07-07-2002, 04:03 PM
it the pasture not the field

Pudlugger
07-07-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BellvilleDude:
your guys had some cheap shots in the JV game to, how about some racial slurs to are african american running backs, and then some hits after the whistle, i got hit in the knee after the whistle had blown

Belleville Dude, I regret any racial slurs made by anybody. That trash talk should not stand, no matter what the circumstances and if our players made such comments let me apologize for them. La Grange coaching staff sure will not tolerate that behavior either. As for the late hits and slugging I'm sure it went both ways.

As for the players wanting to run out on the field at the end I saw several guys down on the sideline shouting at our guys who were taking a knee for 3 plays on the Belleville 4 yard line instead of running up the score. The Belleville coaches were trying to get them to back off. That's how it looked from where I was sitting.

I don't think we have all our guys on 7 on 7 this year due to summer baseball. I know none of the big guys play anyway, as they are all in the weight room this summer training.

Right , pasture of pain, my bad.

BellvilleDude
07-07-2002, 04:31 PM
are you the same pudlugger from txpreps. is so i have talking to you, that last game for me was hell, had a fever, had to take some stuff(alkezer cold) before game,during halftime and after game to control it, ened up i had a throat infection.

Pudlugger
07-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by BellvilleDude:
are you the same pudlugger from txpreps. is so i have talking to you, that last game for me was hell, had a fever, had to take some stuff(alkezer cold) before game,during halftime and after game to control it, ened up i had a throat infection.

Dude its me, there is only one Pudlugger! Sorry to here about the sore throat. My son, who played in that game too, was out with a tonsilar abcess in March so I know what you must have been going through. Good luck this year, I expect good things from you!