PDA

View Full Version : Burnet vs. Marlin: Some Comparisons

Ozzy
09-27-2003, 08:49 PM
After taking in the game Friday night and watching Fox HS Scoreboard, here are a few of my observations of the events of the day:

1. Pep Rallys -- Both schools had pep rallys, but they looked a whole lot different. Coach West of Marlin has been watching waaaaaay too much wrasslin'. Burnet needs to get rid of the hula hoops. Marlin dances, Burnet prances.

2. Pre-Game Talks -- Did anyone else notice Coach Malone dropping an "S-bomb" during his pregame speech? Didn't think that was appropriate, especially on TV.

3. The Game -- Didn't quite live up to the pregame hype, but it did showcase a number of exceptional athletes. Probably no less that 10 athletes on the field that will have part or all of their schooling paid for by playing football.

4. The Records -- Although they weren't a priority for Burnet, I know a lot of people wanted to see them broken. On the other hand, I think all of the Marlin supporters were hoping to postpone them for at least one more game.

5. The Fans -- Although the size of the crowd wasn't quite what was predicted by the "experts" on this forum, it was still a great crowd for a AAA pre-season football game. Although the size of the crowd was good, I think both Marlin's and Burnet's fans are spoiled. Marlin folks were filing out in droves in the 3rd quarter. Burnet fans were sitting on their hands, disappointed that every play wasn't a touchdown.

6. The Astro's Throwback Jersey -- Don't know how many of you saw it, but Cunbed10 was in the house! I was expecting to see a computer nerd, but he is far from it: bucket hat, gold in the grill, a real player.

7. The Hit -- Man, what a shot! Red Richardson's hit on Cody Warner. Did he do a complete back flip and land on his feet?

Good Luck to both teams the rest of the season.

<small>[ September 27, 2003, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Ozzy ]</small>

espn1
09-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Ozzy:
After taking in the game Friday night and watching Fox HS Scoreboard, here are a few of my observations of the events of the day:

1. Pep Rallys -- Both schools had pep rallys, but they looked a whole lot different. Coach West of Marlin has been watching waaaaaay too much wrasslin'. Burnet needs to get rid of the hula hoops. Marlin dances, Burnet prances.

2. Pre-Game Talks -- Did anyone else notice Coach Malone dropping an "S-bomb" during his pregame speech? Didn't think that was appropriate, especially on TV.

3. The Game -- Didn't quite live up to the pregame hype, but it did showcase a number of exceptional athletes. Probably no less that 10 athletes on the field that will have part or all of their schooling paid for by playing football.

4. The Records -- Although they weren't a priority for Burnet, I know a lot of people wanted to see them broken. On the other hand, I think all of the Marlin supporters were hoping to postpone them for at least one more game.

5. The Fans -- Although the size of the crowd wasn't quite what was predicted by the "experts" on this forum, it was still a great crowd for a AAA pre-season football game. Although the size of the crowd was good, I think both Marlin's and Burnet's fans are spoiled. Marlin folks were filing out in droves in the 3rd quarter. Burnet fans were sitting on their hands, disappointed that every play wasn't a touchdown.

6. The Astro's Throwback Jersey -- Don't know how many of you saw it, but Cunbed10 was in the house! I was expecting to see a computer nerd, but he is far from it: bucket hat, gold in the grill, a real player.

7. The Hit -- Man, what a shot! Red Richardson's hit on Cody Warner. Did he do a complete back flip and land on his feet?

Good Luck to both teams the rest of the season.You forgot to say that McGee and Warner stold the show.

BurnetBandRules
09-28-2003, 11:57 AM
To the guy who made the list of comparisons......how do you think that our fans are spoiled? Do I hear jealousy? It sure sounds like it.....Just because we have high support for our dogs, doesn't mean that we are spoiled. Lots of schools would love to have a fan base as large as ours, we just happen to be lucky in that respect. And about the Marlin dances, Burnet praces. We don't need to sing a rap song to get ourselves pumped. When it comes to the coach, Marlins schools coach is cocky, I mean, "we're going to kick the sh*t outa Burnet?" Pretty cocky to me....on our side of the line with our coaches, we are merely Confident. Anything wrong with confidence? Didn't think so. About the records, it was obvious that it wasn't our main priority or else Coach Shipley would have kept in Jordan for the 11 or so yard touchdown needed to get the record. I think that people need to think about some of the stuff said on this forum before a word is said. Think before you speak. Good luck to BOTH teams!!!

29x281
09-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Among the many comical things to come from the Marlin pep-rally, I was struck by the dance routine of the Marlin drill team during their pep-rally.

What was that? Some sort of double symmetrical swaying "whatcha gonna do about it/wanna fight/how high can I shrug my shoulders/let's do our best to look like we're on Springer" pose? I think the football players were making the same pose while standing on the middle of the Burnet field moments before their 35-6 woodshed beating.

Absolutely hilarious.

Chief Woodman
09-28-2003, 03:19 PM
If they dance on someone else's logo on the center of the field prior to the game, that is not "getting pumped up". It is low-class in-your-face smack. If that is truly what takes place, may they never win another game. VERY poor display of sportsmanship and respect for fellow Texans. If that is not what happens (dancing on opponents logo) then I wish them well. For the coach who cursed whoever he is...what a poorly chosen leader for you players. As fans and parents you should be ashamed that he is tolerated.

BurnetBandRules
09-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Well said.....AMEN!

Rabbit'93
09-28-2003, 04:43 PM
sheesh...some of you need to relax a bit.

3afan2K3
09-28-2003, 04:45 PM
If yall are so offended by it then why don't yall call up the coach and yell at him?????

Ozzy
09-28-2003, 06:43 PM
BurnetBandRules:
To the guy who made the list of comparisons......how do you think that our fans are spoiled? Do I hear jealousy? It sure sounds like it.....Just because we have high support for our dogs, doesn't mean that we are spoiled. Lots of schools would love to have a fan base as large as ours, we just happen to be lucky in that respect. And about the Marlin dances, Burnet praces. We don't need to sing a rap song to get ourselves pumped. When it comes to the coach, Marlins schools coach is cocky, I mean, "we're going to kick the sh*t outa Burnet?" Pretty cocky to me....on our side of the line with our coaches, we are merely Confident. Anything wrong with confidence? Didn't think so. About the records, it was obvious that it wasn't our main priority or else Coach Shipley would have kept in Jordan for the 11 or so yard touchdown needed to get the record. I think that people need to think about some of the stuff said on this forum before a word is said. Think before you speak. Good luck to BOTH teams!!!Hey BandBoy, I don't think I was disrespectful to anybody. Get a freakin' clue! I know Burnet loves the huge fan base, but those folks ARE spoiled. Big hits, tough runs, short pass completions go unappreciated. Big plays are expected, good plays are thought of as disappointments.

And by the way, is that halftime show so grueling that it takes an entire quarter for a band-body to recover before you can play another song? Just wondering......

And by the way, the name is OZZY.

BurnetBandRules
09-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Tow the wizard of OZ boy, how can you say they are spoiled? They have a good team and expect alot from them....is that such a bad thing? Our fans jump up and down on almost EVERY play and when you we a short pass completion or big hit, we are used to more....that is sucha horrible thing, huh? NOT REALLY! And bout the band marching at halftime being grueling; what do you know? The band works, practices and does just as much as the football team during the game...we deserve a break, too. I don't know what bands are like over there is London, but here we may do things differenly. The football team gets their time off during halftime, the fans get their time off during half time, when is ours? Halftime! And if you notice, most of the band is there before the next quater starts. Before you start to criticize a team, a band and a community, think! It isn't that hard! Don't say something that is going to pi*s someone off, don't call them spoiled because we expect a good game from our good team! Stay in London! TA TA! :-)

HotDawg89
09-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Who'd have ever thought this... but I have to agree with OZZY on a couple of points.

Burnet's fans are VERY spoiled! Last year, there was FAR more cheering going on for the team, on small plays with small results. You could hear the fans yelling "DEFENSE!" on every close play where we needed to hold the line. There was a viscous amount of encouragement coming from the stands. These days, all we do is jump up and scream when McGee connects with a wide open receiver for what is sure to be a touchdown. We act dissappointed, and unimpressed when that doesn't happen on every play. If you don't agree with this, take a good long look and listen at our next game friend. It is very apparent- support doesn't just mean showing up and only cheering the kids on when something any other team would call "amazing" happens.

Now as to the band thing- I don't think an entire quarter is necessary for them to "recover" but as long as I can remember, the Burnet band has always had the 3rd quarter off for restroom breaks and concession breaks. By the time they actually get somewhere in those lines- it is almost the 4th quarter- I don't see a reason to attack them for that.

29x281
09-28-2003, 08:42 PM
We're waiting for the playoffs.

HotDawg89
09-28-2003, 09:02 PM
29x281:
We're waiting for the playoffs.I'm equally as guilty of being spoiled! I guess we'll start yelling again during the playoffs too! :D

cdl625
09-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Little Comparison:
Burnet 33 Gatesville 14
Burnet 35 Marlin 6

Is Gatesville going to be Burnets closest game this year. I just think Gatesville needs to get a little more recoginition they have won all of their other games big and LaShon Thayer keeps posting 200 yd games week in week out. I think they will suprise people.

HornetMom
09-28-2003, 10:14 PM
HotDawg89

Now as to the band thing- I don't think an entire quarter is necessary for them to "recover" but as long as I can remember, the Burnet band has always had the 3rd quarter off for restroom breaks and concession breaks. By the time they actually get somewhere in those lines- it is almost the 4th quarter- I don't see a reason to attack them for that.[/QB]All bands that I know of take the 3rd quarter for refreshment and bathroom breaks. During that time our seniors meet up with the visiting band and bring them over to meet the rest of the band. As do the Color Guard, Drill team, and Cheerleaders. As do all, I believe. And it doesn't always take the entire quarter.