PDA

View Full Version : Data Poll Rankings Posted

sinton66
08-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Data Poll Rankings are posted for all classes:
http//home1.gte.net/cpq29gpl/index.htm
Note: if this url doesn't work, try the link from the home page on this site.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 13, 2002).]

Bulldog92
08-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Jasper at #15 is a crock....those rankings lost all credibility with me when I saw that...

Old Cardinal
08-13-2002, 09:38 PM
It's kind of comical...I checked out Jasper they are predicted at #5 in Region III 3A and 2nd in their District. Brian seems like a nice College kid, just trying to develop a formula, don't get excited- he changes his formula pretty often. I wish him luck in his computer programming but would warn him to not quite his day job to try to become a statistician!

sinton66
08-13-2002, 10:38 PM
I think he uses the pf/pa thing as a starting place for the season, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in it this early either. I'm thinking about writing down the top 50 and see how he does at the end. Found the point spreads on the individual games pretty interesting though.

SintonFan
08-13-2002, 11:10 PM
WooHoo!!! I know some of you are dissapointed with Jasper's place in the initial ranking, but don't worry. All, first polls are never accurate. I'm just glad this guy is keeping up his site. It's one of the best in the state!
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

eye of the tiger
08-14-2002, 02:37 PM
I think for this early in the year data poll has Commerce a bit too high. I do however think we will earn a position that high before the season ends. I dont know too much about this poll, but there seems to be a lot of work put into it. Does it change weekly? Im also surprised that Jasper is so low.

SintonFan
08-14-2002, 03:15 PM
eye of the tiger, this guy does update his site weekly. When playoffs start, this is a great place to check out the opposition.

Bulldog92
08-14-2002, 03:21 PM
This site is a stat geek's dream come true. Although I don't agree with how the formulas affected Jasper's ranking, I'm sure that things will even out as the season progresses. Numbers generally don't lie and this site seems to bear that out better than most. It's very well put together and after further review, I give it resounding "thumbs up"....

eye of the tiger
08-14-2002, 05:14 PM
SinFan thanks for the info. The more time I spend there the more impressed with the work put into the site. And you are right, it will be very useful come playoff time.

SintonFan
08-14-2002, 05:26 PM
Check out his guestbook. You can choose from hundreds of different smileys. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif
Some of them are kinda weird though.

sinton66
08-14-2002, 05:47 PM
SintonFan, did you check out the point spreads on the individual games? I want to write them down. He's pretty close to what I did for the G-P game.(left you a pm on same subject). We ought to take up a collection and get the 'low to acquire those symbols, some of them are pretty cool! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 14, 2002).]

Matthew328
08-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Data Poll is always a great site for the info...of course I don't agree with the rankings..but hey no one agrees with mine either!!! LOL But Forney at number one?? wow

sinton66
08-14-2002, 09:00 PM
I read his explanation on his old method and it went WAY over my head.

SAsports.com
08-14-2002, 09:44 PM
Just a thought to remember.. the Data Poll is to Texas HS football as the BCS is to college. It's something to keep track of who's doing well, who's not, and the like.. but it's determined by a computer formula, not real people who can factor in things like numbers. Anyone who thinks there are 14 teams in 3A better than jasper to start the season, has obviously never played football.. and go figure, it's a computer. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

But his is one of the only, and certainly the best-maintained, sites on the web where you can get every public school score in the state.

SintonFan
08-14-2002, 10:14 PM
66, I hope he's right on the spread. I've got GP by one, but I will revise mine before the GP game. The smileys looked to be part of the bravenet site.

sinton66
08-15-2002, 06:48 AM
Yea, me too. G-P will be a good test. This guy doing the Data Poll is definitely into some serious number crunching, and he certainly seems to have a pipeline for all the scores and such. Hope he continues with it after he graduates.

Old Cardinal
08-15-2002, 08:53 PM
I began looking at this thing close- from #31 down you have Five big Enrollment Division I teams that he says will go undefeated in Dist.. Barber's Hill, Bridge City, Borger, Bridgeport and Snyder.....Then he has the teams ranked above them with some weird statistics....EX. Queen City with 3 Dist loses in a small Dist?.. Tex. Lib. Eylau, Giddings,Dibol with two loses..also Paris N. Lamar,China Spring, Cameron Yoe, Bellville, Gladewater, Wilmer Hutchins and Jasper with Dist. loses....I would say that Barber's Hill, Bridge City, Borger, Bridgeport and Snyder with their Div.I sizing- would easily beat all of the Division II size teams above them, except for Newton! Also,how can any formula factor in drop-downs from 4A anyway-like Snyder,Borger,Jasper, Navasota, and all the others?.... I still think Kennedale is being overlooked by everyone in Div II.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited August 15, 2002).]

sinton66
08-16-2002, 11:50 AM
Old Cardinal, the weird stats are probably coming from the formation of new districts. If he doesn't have much info on common teams played and such, it would cause some difficulty in assessing strength of schedules and so forth. That could cause some of the ratings to be off. His system will adjust itself as the season progresses.
That's kinda what we meant when we said don't read too much into it at the beginning of the season. Good luck to you guys this year!

Old Cardinal
08-17-2002, 02:57 PM
To Matt 328, FORNEY is #1 apparently only because he wanted to prop up Region II, just one more time! By vaulting FORNEY that pretty well shows no formula was involved, just an attempt to boosts Region II at the expense of the other three Regions.

Matthew328
08-17-2002, 03:17 PM
LOL Old Card you crack me up....

slpybear the bullfan
08-17-2002, 04:35 PM
Old Card,

On your above posts about the big schools ranked lower... Bridgeport will not be a Div I 3A school this year. Even though there is a big chance at winning disctrict, the other qualifiers should have a bigger enrollment.

I hope to see another shot at Div II playoff football, but as they say, "THere is many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."!

slpybear
Bulls '89 #70

eye of the tiger
08-17-2002, 06:51 PM
slpybear I had some of that slippage twixt the cup and the lip last night. LOL. I think Brigeport is going to have a dynamite team this year again.

Old Cardinal
08-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Wow, Thanks for correcting me about Bridgeport. They are going to be tough in Div II!

BigRed01
08-18-2002, 01:44 AM
Forney number 1, Jasper 15? It really is a good site, but come on? There is something defintely wrong with that picture.

Bulldog92
08-18-2002, 03:53 AM
Hey...another Dog in the house. That makes five of us now I think. Spread the word to our good friends in Jasper. We may be new to 3A (sort of), but we have to stick up for our Dogs because no one else will. Welcome....

Bulldog92
08-18-2002, 04:03 AM
Okay...maybe you're not a Jasper fan...lol. Welcome anyway...

BigRed01
08-18-2002, 06:01 AM
I am a Bridge City Cardinal fan all the way. I think something in the math is seriously wrong to have such a talented Jasper team at number 15. However, it's better than what anyone else has to offer, so I'll just step back and take it for what it's worth.