PDA

View Full Version : Stephenville Finally Getting Their Own Stadium??

Matthew328
02-23-2022, 12:23 AM
https://twitter.com/sportsfreaknut/status/1496326779929247745

Interesting

jason
02-23-2022, 09:14 AM
This is just now 'breaking news' but news of the 'private meeting' between TSU and SISD leaked back in November and has been the worst kept secret in town. Div 1 rules are going to inhibit the use of the stadium on Friday nights and Tarleton isn't going to renew the lease after the 2025 school year. Folks in town are going to raise pitchforks but it hasn't set in for most that the Tarleton renewal isn't happening and we're either going to have to renovate the junior high stadium, build new, or play 10 road games. For some reason they think SISD is just deciding to not renew and do their own thing but it's Tarleton pulling the plug. I was surprised at the $50m ask though, seems high for a 6,000-7,000 seat stadium.

The press release IMO wasn't done very well. The district needs to put out something that shows actual numbers to cool heads. Pushing to get it on the May 7 is also pretty optimistic but it's a quick turn around from passing bond to needing a functional stadium.

Matthew328
02-23-2022, 02:24 PM
This happened to San Marcos a few years back when Texas State moved up....I think the lease continued but San Marcos was forced to play home games on Thursday when Texas State was at home....I wonder if Stephenville continues until 2025 will that happen?

50 million seems high, but inflation is through the roof....its very bold to ask the voters to do this....I get they want a nice stadium but in this situation where it could get desperate I might just move for a decent stadium to get the bond passed and do the bells and whistles later....I guess they are banking on the state title to get it passed

jason
02-23-2022, 04:53 PM
This happened to San Marcos a few years back when Texas State moved up....I think the lease continued but San Marcos was forced to play home games on Thursday when Texas State was at home....I wonder if Stephenville continues until 2025 will that happen?

50 million seems high, but inflation is through the roof....its very bold to ask the voters to do this....I get they want a nice stadium but in this situation where it could get desperate I might just move for a decent stadium to get the bond passed and do the bells and whistles later....I guess they are banking on the state title to get it passed

There are a lot of questions that the SISD school board need to provide answer to. Everyone seems to think $50 is high to get 6500 +/- seats in a pretty basic stadium. We don't need the Berry Center. We need field, track, concessions, bathrooms, press box, locker rooms, scoreboard, and parking. We'll see how it plays out - hopefully the board puts out real numbers and answer questions soon.

Matthew328
02-23-2022, 08:00 PM
There are a lot of questions that the SISD school board need to provide answer to. Everyone seems to think $50 is high to get 6500 +/- seats in a pretty basic stadium. We don't need the Berry Center. We need field, track, concessions, bathrooms, press box, locker rooms, scoreboard, and parking. We'll see how it plays out - hopefully the board puts out real numbers and answer questions soon.

I can't imagine how much money SISD has spent over the years in rental fees at Tarleton...wasteful IMO...just get a decent stadium bulit and then they can add the bells and whistles later

jason
02-24-2022, 09:50 AM
I can't imagine how much money SISD has spent over the years in rental fees at Tarleton...wasteful IMO...just get a decent stadium bulit and then they can add the bells and whistles later
It's going to be a challenge. We passed a $60m bond about 4 years ago that included new softball fields and a new gym (and a bunch of other non-athletic stuff) and there are a lot of people hesitant to hand over this much money again for a stadium because the gym turned out to be, let's just say it's underwhelming, and people aren't happy about it. I'd be surprised if either passed. What people don't realize though is not using TSU Memorial is happening. There won't even be an option to 'coordinate schedules for home/away or play Thursdays'. The decision is going to be build a stadium or play 10 road games until we get one. Most are too dense to understand that though.

Matthew328
03-06-2022, 06:16 PM
And here we go

https://tarletonsports.com/news/2022/3/4/football-memorial-stadium-expansion-to-begin-in-coming-weeks.aspx

rb585
03-07-2022, 11:21 PM

Seemed like the San Marcos stadium was something like $12M total.

Matthew328
04-28-2022, 06:16 AM
Tarleton officially announced that the 2024 season will be Stephenville High School's final season at Memorial Stadium.
Talking to some folks around Stephenville they do not feel confident the bond will pass

jason
04-28-2022, 10:52 AM
Tarleton officially announced that the 2024 season will be Stephenville High School's final season at Memorial Stadium.
Talking to some folks around Stephenville they do not feel confident the bond will pass
It's gonna be close - too many people don't understand how property tax law or bond payments work and are spreading inaccurate information. It's frustrating.

Matthew328
04-28-2022, 02:24 PM
It's gonna be close - too many people don't understand how property tax law or bond payments work and are spreading inaccurate information. It's frustrating.

I think SISD went way too ambitious with a bond that they really desperately need....I almost wonder if something more conservative should have been presented to at least get the stadium situation worked out then the other stuff comes later...just seemed like a really risky move

Scoop27
04-29-2022, 12:52 PM
New stadiums don't make a better program as smaller classification schools can win if they have smaller stadiums that seat under 3,000 fans. Wharton County has three schools have smaller stadiums and Louise played their 5 home games at Ricebird Stadium in El Campo which is 10 minutes down the road. East Bernard and Boling have smaller stadiums and their programs are better than average. Wharton has a new stadium but the football program is way down.

Matthew328
04-29-2022, 03:29 PM
New stadiums don't make a better program as smaller classification schools can win if they have smaller stadiums that seat under 3,000 fans. Wharton County has three schools have smaller stadiums and Louise played their 5 home games at Ricebird Stadium in El Campo which is 10 minutes down the road. East Bernard and Boling have smaller stadiums and their programs are better than average. Wharton has a new stadium but the football program is way down.

For Stephenville its simply about a stadium..period and they won't have won as of 2024

Old Green
05-01-2022, 09:38 AM
There are a lot of questions that the SISD school board need to provide answer to. Everyone seems to think $50 is high to get 6500 +/- seats in a pretty basic stadium. We don't need the Berry Center. We need field, track, concessions, bathrooms, press box, locker rooms, scoreboard, and parking. We'll see how it plays out - hopefully the board puts out real numbers and answer questions soon.That seems too high for a 6500+ stadium. Hellas built Cuero’s 7000 seat stadium back 2013 for $8.7 million. That included two new air conditioned restrooms two large concession stands 9 lane track and press box. It’s not fancy like Allen’s or Katy’s stadium, but it is very and functional for a 4A stadium

jason
05-07-2022, 08:50 PM
Both bonds failed.