PDA

View Full Version : Do Posters and Coaches Mix?

Pudlugger
10-22-2003, 01:10 PM
I wonder what sort of experience others have had who regularly follow their teams on this board and post objective assessments of the performance and strengths and/or weaknesses of those teams. I have tried to be objective, and avoid controversial or confrontational issues and generally try to flesh out the coverage of Leps. I realize coaches have a very tough job not only working with the players, reviewing films, scouting other teams, analyizing a multitude of plays, sets, and player positioning, but they also must contend with the politics of the local community. Some communities are really supportive, such as here in La Grange, while others fall into bickering , finger pointing and general discord. I think our coaches do read the board from time to time and enjoy the feedback. I have enjoyed a free hand here on the 'Low with no apparent objections from our coaches. I wonder what others have experienced?

coiled2strike
10-22-2003, 01:17 PM
I know a few of us ARE coaches and we enjoy being on here, reading the board and occasionally posting. I especially like the info from other regions of the state. I see a lot of football, games and films, but usually it is local stuff. I still haven't seen some of the teams I hear about, but sure would like to see them if they are as good as the records and stats show. We also enjoy the rivalries and a little trash talk on occasion.

vet93
10-22-2003, 01:37 PM
I think that posters and coaches should be able to mix on this board if two things are held in consideration. 1) That the posters realize that they have a responsibility to post in a responsible manner. Grumbling about every call and situation does nothing but harm the players on the field, even if there is some legitamacy to the complaint. A coaches job is hard enough, without having a whole bunch of stuff being posted on the board that keeps the situation inflamed. Sometimes gametime decisions are made that look bad in retrospect and sometimes the coach himself would like to have the decision back too, but can't. 2) That coaches realize that an objective assessement of their teams performance is not necessarily an indictment on their coaching ability or is an attempt to stir things up. They must also realize that many people are quite passionate about their teams and that sometimes objectivity is compromised. As long as both parties can work under those assumptions...then the board can function with both groups.

Old Green
10-22-2003, 01:56 PM
I think posters and Coaches can get along on this board and their community surrounding also. It is good to post your concerns about your team and others in a respectful way. I think most coaches like it. I have never demeaned a coach in public wether ours or others. There jobs are hard enough as it is wihout spiteful harmful comments.

Keith7
10-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Last year I was a senior on the football team, and i made some bold predictions on this board the week before the game.. and an assistant coach came and made a seen about it in the lockerroom before practice, and i came and errased them all none the less..
so basically, coaches dont like it, but kids will be kids

Pudlugger
10-22-2003, 11:57 PM
ttt

spaniard
10-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Keith7:
Last year I was a senior on the football team, and i made some bold predictions on this board the week before the game.. and an assistant coach came and made a seen about it in the lockerroom before practice, and i came and errased them all none the less..
so basically, coaches dont like it, but kids will be kidsfair enough though, you let people know who you are and you will be approached about it. its life, but youll live.

Gobbla2001
10-23-2003, 12:00 AM
I actually had a coach my Junior year who knew that I was posting on the net... I remember the last district game we going to have to play Yoakum... Whoever won made the playoffs, whoever lost had to sit home...

I wasn't really that big of a mess talker, but that Monday one of our coaches came up to me and said 'Hey, I know you're Gobbla2001, don't talk any mess about Yoakum this week, wouldn't wanna give them anything to motivate 'em'...

keep_it_real
10-23-2003, 12:03 AM
yeah I noticed that after the first couple of weeks the # of athletes on here sordve fades

spaniard
10-23-2003, 12:04 AM
yeah, theres at least one or two of the coaches that i know that know who i am on here. i didnt start posting on here till i graduated, but this coach and i knew each other from church and whatnot, so now when he sees me he says "hey spaniard." the first time he did that i kinda didnt know how to react, but he didnt want to kill me or anything, so its all good.

Gobbla2001
10-23-2003, 12:05 AM
spaniard:
yeah, theres at least one or two of the coaches that i know that know who i am on here. i didnt start posting on here till i graduated, but this coach and i knew each other from church and whatnot, so now when he sees me he says "hey spaniard." the first time he did that i kinda didnt know how to react, but he didnt want to kill me or anything, so its all good.I always had a problem with my coaches saying 'Gobbla2000'... I'm like 'TWO-THOUSAND AND ONNNNNE'

<small>[ October 23, 2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

spaniard
10-23-2003, 12:06 AM
hehe, thats funny junk.

spiveyrat
10-23-2003, 06:55 AM
Gobbla2001:
I actually had a coach my Junior year who knew that I was posting on the net... I remember the last district game we going to have to play Yoakum... Whoever won made the playoffs, whoever lost had to sit home...

I wasn't really that big of a mess talker, but that Monday one of our coaches came up to me and said 'Hey, I know you're Gobbla2001, don't talk any mess about Yoakum this week, wouldn't wanna give them anything to motivate 'em'...Were you surprised?

Matthew328
10-23-2003, 07:16 AM
I know for a fact lots of coaches read our board....most don't post however..they mainly read for entertainment value...trust me..no coach in his right mind would use our board as a way to scout someone...LOL If they did I feel sorry for em...LOL But you can bet coaches will look for every edge they can and if you post some bulletin board material I can almost guarantee a coach will see it and let his team know about it!

sinton66
10-23-2003, 07:25 AM
I like that answer, Matthew. That is one of my biggest points about not trash-talking. Why in the world would anyone want to give the opposition bulletin board material before your team has to play them? That's just ignorant and irresponsible in my opinion. Why make your team's job harder?

Tiger Turtle
10-23-2003, 07:48 AM
Coaches have better sources for scouting, primarily film, which are not available to the average fan prior to a game. I have always appreciated astute fans of other teams who will offer some honest insight into the different aspects of their team's game, without divulging anything potentially destructive to their team's chances. Particularly in the playoffs, when you are meeting teams outside your area with no readily available comparisons to common opponents. I sincerely doubt that anything appearing here will be beyond what the coaching staff will readily pick out on film. Most coaching staffs will not feel threatened by friendly amateur insights posted by dedicated fans trying to learn more about the game.

Matthew328
10-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Good point...coaches will check out the board to see how teams in other areas of the state are doing, etc.

this is the way we ball
10-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Hey I'm a coach at Kennedale and I have a lot of fun on this forum. I talk a little trash every now and then just to stir the pot a little, but it's all in fun. I really liked messing with Matthew328 over our Everman/Kennedale matchup and the guys from Bridgeport last year. Bottom line.... this board is fun to read and I especially like watching people get upset over nothing. What's wrong with coaches posting on this board? :cool: