PDA

View Full Version : Calallen Coach Phil Danaher Is Retiring

sinfan75
12-13-2021, 04:31 PM
490 wins but sadly no state title.

Maroon87
12-17-2021, 04:12 PM
First post in quite a while but I think the occasion is appropriate...

I met Coach Danaher in 1984 when he first walked into our weight room and introduced himself as our new football coach. I couldn't imagine at the time that we'd be here just shy of 38 years from that day talking about his legendary career. Calallen football had no reason to expect in their wildest dreams that a coach like that would walk through their door back then, a program mired in deep mediocrity, to be polite. But he did, and what a ride it's been.

I was fortunate to play 3 years under Coach D, and it was such a thrill to be a part of this program as it shook itself from a decades long slumber and became the perennial powerhouse that we all know.

It's fitting that the stadium now bears his name, as he is the only HC we ever had in that facility's existence, which interestingly enough was already under construction we he was hired. But to say he made the place his own is a sizable understatement.

So now we look to the future, which as of this afternoon is officially under the guidance of longtime assistant Steve Campbell, a man as steeped in the origins and traditions of our program as anyone to ever wear a whistle.

The Circle is unbroken. The Ride is not over.

We Are Calallen.