PDA

View Full Version : What does 2004 projections hold for various HS athletics programs?

Old Cardinal
01-04-2004, 01:34 PM
I will start out with ORANGEFIELD....Football--They have good returning prospects of Division II football. There 7 on 7 program is supported by the local Coaches. Basketball Boys-always a little better than average..Girls-a strong program with playoff success potential... Baseball-A sleeper in 21-3A, they have upgraded their program... Girls Softball-A gal that works in the cafeteria is the Coach. She is a wheez on softball Coaching. She started with a very young team that is ready to make a big splash this year. You see nothing but harmony and hardwork when they practice. CrossCountry- A dedicated coach has built a good Jr. Hi. feeder program and the results are not that far down the road. Track-it's almost a primitive instinct in OF to have a good pole-vaulting crew. Coach Hester, years ago, built the strongest vaulting program I have ever seem. Today, that tradition is still alive. They graduated John Derr and others last season, but new talent is coming along fine. All in all, OF is rapidily growing out of the "boomtown-went busted" community into a community trying to shed it's "Oilpatch Politics" and become a viable sporting and economic force in Orange County...I would welcome the comments of Bobkat, Cat 22 and others on the 3A down low group, as to their projections on OF athletics for 2004.

next generation
01-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Cameron will be a tough team if Coach Mullins does a better job this season. They are returning 26 letterman.

CRHSeagle
01-05-2004, 08:44 AM
I think Carter and Diamond Hill are the only schools with in 3a in wrestling. We have a good shot of winning district this year....all of our other sports are gonna be more of the same.

Cat22
01-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Old Cardinal:
I will start out with ORANGEFIELD....Football--They have good returning prospects of Division II football. There 7 on 7 program is supported by the local Coaches. Basketball Boys-always a little better than average..Girls-a strong program with playoff success potential... Baseball-A sleeper in 21-3A, they have upgraded their program... Girls Softball-A gal that works in the cafeteria is the Coach. She is a wheez on softball Coaching. She started with a very young team that is ready to make a big splash this year. You see nothing but harmony and hardwork when they practice. CrossCountry- A dedicated coach has built a good Jr. Hi. feeder program and the results are not that far down the road. Track-it's almost a primitive instinct in OF to have a good pole-vaulting crew. Coach Hester, years ago, built the strongest vaulting program I have ever seem. Today, that tradition is still alive. They graduated John Derr and others last season, but new talent is coming along fine. All in all, OF is rapidily growing out of the "boomtown-went busted" community into a community trying to shed it's "Oilpatch Politics" and become a viable sporting and economic force in Orange County...I would welcome the comments of Bobkat, Cat 22 and others on the 3A down low group, as to their projections on OF athletics for 2004.WOW Old Card, I've lived in Orangefield all my life and you seem to have a better grasp on their athletic program than I do. Lets start with Football - they are losing almost all of the skill positions. It will be hard to replace a QB that has thrown for over 4000 yards in three seasons. They will start a Sophomore next year, so we'll have to give him a few games to see what he can do. He is a very talented athlete so I expect good things from him for the next three football seasons. OF is also losing the best receiver in school history as far as stats go, and also losing a 1000 yard rusher. I don't see the same success in football next year, they will be young, so give them a couple of years and they will be in the playoff hunt again. Boys Basketball - they have some talented players, but they can't compete in this district. That is the one program in OF that has never had much success, but the last few years they have had better than normal OF teams. I look for the BB team to get better each year. I think the great Little Dribblers program OF has will help. Girls Basketball - this team is fun to watch and I think they have a good chance of going far in the playoffs for the next four years, hopefully making it to the state tournament. Baseball has been down the past few years, but look for them to rebound this year. With a few breaks, they could be in the mix this year. Softball - They too should be in the mix again this year. They have a very good chance of being in the top three in this district this year. Cross Country - To be honest I know very little about this, but with the start of a JR. High program, there is no where to go but up. Track - You said it, the first thing that comes to mind when you mention OF track is pole vaulting. Coach Hester started something special that has declined some since his departure, but look for an OF vaulter to be in the top two come track season. Overall I think OF is headed in the right direction. They have a great coaching staff that I hope will stay around for awhile.

Old Cardinal
01-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Bridge City in the year of 2004 has some good and bad. Baseball will be loaded with top Select team talent, but has lost their Coach that won the District the last three years. I still look for them to go very deep in the playoffs, with their new Coach. Softball team has top flight Select team players for all positions except second base where a 3-year Senior lettermen handles the job very well. Should be easily ranked #1 in State to start the season with an All-State Senior Catcher and an All-State Jr. Pitcher that's backed up by an equally talented Select team Sophomore Pitcher...Football is a big question mark,especially on defense. Again down to only 11 Seniors or less on the team coming back. It appears that one Coach has developed a reputation at H-F and now at BC of running off the other Defensive Coaches and a host of older players. The bright spot is that their will be a very talent-laden Junior class playing...Basketball-6 different Coaches in 6 years has pretty well collapsed the girls program. The 8th grade girls team is strong but that will be a while...Boys basketball, has also had revolving Coaches, but is strong in Sophomores- but not competitive at this point...CrossCountry Boys should win State. They came in second with Fr'men. and Sophs-- and #1 Elgin graduated nearly all runners. Girls placed 8th in State with nearly all Freshmen- its either next year or the next, for them! Volleyball, tennis, golf-- very strong. Track teams should be outstanding-CrossCountry wins the long ones, field events are loaded and Michael Gauthier who came in 2nd on the 100m was the only JR. in the race last time. Girls and Boys again win the District track crown, with many advancing.....Football is such a question mark: it also depends on who ends up as the District competition!...The second year AD seems to have a good ability to find good replacements for Coaches that quit in various sports.

<small>[ January 05, 2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Cat22
01-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Most of Bridge City's programs seem to be going in the right direction. Both Baseball and Softball should advance far in the playoffs this spring. The softball team will probably be playing in Austin come May and the baseball team has a good chance to be there also. Both basketball programs seem to be going through some rebuilding this year. Give them both 2 to 3 years and they will be in the hunt again. Cross Country will advance to state again this year and should win it. Both track teams should win the district crowns again and Michael Gauthier has an excellent chance of being crowned the fast man in 3A. As far as Football, they had a young team in 2003, but this gave them some quality playing time. They should make the playoffs in 2004, but I agree with you that it may come down to who is in the district once realignment is released in February. Maybe we should wait until February before we talk about who will represent this district in the football playoffs.

<small>[ January 06, 2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Cat22 ]</small>

Old Cardinal
01-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Does anyone want to give us a rundown, on 2004, for the schools that you follow?

WoodvilleFan
01-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Football... Just had sixth straight nonwinning season. Coach is being reassigned and a search is on for a replacement. If we stay AAA we will get worse before we get better because new coach will come to a program where the athletes don't expect to win. If we go AA (most probable) coach may get lucky with a weak district (Warren, Kountze, Deweyville) and he can win because of athleticsm. But could wind up worse than AAA district with AA powerhouses (corrigan, San Augustine, Hemphill) newton will be in Woodville's district regardless of AA or AAA.

Basketball... having our best season in many years. Coach has done a fantastic job of turning program around. This is by far his best team he has put on the court since he took over. Will lose majority of talent without much moving up from JV.

Baseball... have a great coach in Neil Hennigan. Should battle Jasper for district title but probably will finish 2nd. Solid infield and outfield. Not much power in the batting order but lots of contact hitters who will put the ball in play. Pitching is the ?. Lost 2 good pitchers last years. has one kid returning who will be the ace this year. he is bulldog who will compete and fight the entire game but I noticed he has a new girlfriend (could be trouble, mind on other things than baseball lol) Depends on how well #2 and 3 man step up on mound.

<small>[ January 08, 2004, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: WoodvilleFan ]</small>

Old Cardinal
01-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Good report Woodvillefan: I have always admired the poised teams that Woodville fields in baseball. What about Track, Volleyball, CrossCountry, golf, tennis?...That commment about the new girl friend of the athlete reminded me of back when I was playing ball. The Coach was laying down the law at a skull practice one day and he said, "And another thing I don't want you out at all hours with a girl friend." A big ole boy looked a little astounded and replyed, "But Coach! Football season is the only time I can get a girlfriend!"

WoodvilleFan
01-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Volleyball... had a good year. Made the playoffs - lost in first round. We have a second year coach who has done a good job with the program but don't really know much about her.

Golf... I am a golfer who played in high school and graduated in '91. Don't want to be cocky but I was the last good golfer to come through.

Track...Football boys are not required to run track. Not much there.

middleagecardinal
01-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Old Cardinal:
Bridge City....All-State Jr. Pitcher that's backed up by an equally talented Select team Sophomore.....I don't think that I would consider the two equally talented.