PDA

View Full Version : Kennedale's HIGH-VOLTAGE LINE

Wild-KTown
12-04-2003, 10:03 PM
http://www.dfw.com/images/dfw/startelegram/news/846687-297293.jpg
STAR-TELEGRAM/DARRELL BYERS
After some early season growing pains, Kennedale blockers, from left, Josh Virnoche, Jimmy Letzkus, Chris Wooten, Michael Chan and Dale Brunson, have been a large part of the Wildcats' seasonlong domination on offense

HIGH-VOLTAGE LINE
Front line generates power for Kennedale's electric offense
By John Miller
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Early in the season, it was usually a bad sign for the Kennedale offensive line when an official raised his arm.

He usually tossed a penalty flag or signalled third-and-long.

After 13 games, officials still raise their arms. Only now it's typically to signal a Wildcats touchdown.

With only one starter returning from last season, the Kennedale offensive line suffered growing pains early in the season. But its play improved dramatically as the season went on, helping produce the area's most prolific offense during the regular season and playing a big role in the Wildcats' advance to the Class 3A Division II Region I final.

Kennedale (12-1) meets Vernon (12-1) at 6 p.m. Saturday at the BISD Fine Arts/Athletics Complex.

"You can't put any numbers down or any figures to show just how much we've improved," senior Josh Virnoche said. "It had been shaky in the beginning. But we hit a point where we took off, and we've just steadily improved with each week after that."

By the end of the season, defenses couldn't stop the Kennedale offense. With the line opening up holes for the run and giving the quarterback time on passing plays, the Wildcats averaged 460.1 yards and 49.1 points per game during the regular season. That was more than any other 11-man football team in the area, regardless of classification.

Not much has changed in the postseason, with Kennedale averaging 40 points per game and outscoring opponents by an average of 22.7 points per game.

"Our kids that ran the ball and caught the ball, they had something to do with it," Kennedale coach Richard Barrett said. "But it all starts with our linemen opening up holes and giving protection."

Only Virnoche started last season -- most of the other four linemen played backup roles or on junior varsity.

The line didn't look as though it would have much success at the start of the season with mistakes evident in preseason scrimmages. The linemen made errors such as missing assignments, moving early, getting off the ball slowly, holding penalties and failing to finish off blocks.

But the unit turned a corner in the season opener against Crandall. Crandall scored with 25 seconds left to take a 44-43 lead. But the Wildcats needed only 13 seconds to score the game-winning touchdown in a 51-44 victory.

"It was a situation where we had to put our head down, grit our teeth and grind it out, and that's what we did," Virnoche said.

The line took another big step against Everman, the two-time defending state champion. The Wildcats won 30-16, handing the Bulldogs their first home loss since 1998.

"We thought we took some major strides during that week." Barrett said. "And we just got better each week after that."

Kennedale went on to score 52 points or more in four of its final six District 8-3A games. The offense has averaged 445.3 yards in three playoff games.

"Sometimes numbers can be deceiving," Barrett said. "But not in this case. When you have those kinds of numbers, they just don't happen without somebody up front doing something."

Kennedale vs. Vernon

• Class 3A Division II Region I final

• 6 p.m. Saturday, BISD Fine Arts/Athletics Complex

• Records: Kennedale 12-1, Vernon 12-1

• Tickets: Adult presale $5, Student presale $3, all tickets $6 at the gate

• At stake: The winner advances to the Division II state semifinals and will play Gilmer (13-0) or Atlanta (9-4).

Knightmoon
12-05-2003, 12:29 AM
Hate to burst your bubble. Kennedale didn't have those kind of stats against Merkel. They are also facing a tough tough defense of Vernon.

Stu Pidass
12-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Ain't My boy cute !!!! That's young Stu !!!

Stu Pidass
12-05-2003, 08:50 AM
As you posted before "Moon" the only stat that mattered was the end score.... and yes we did dominate you on both side of the ball. You had one complete drive and that was it all night. You tried to stack the outside and we pounded the ball up the middle, you stacked the inside and we pounded the ball outside. District stats (the results of very hard work and discipline) are what have got the Kats to week 4. I would expect that the competition at this point would be better and that we would average less than what we did in the district, however Kennedale is still putting up big numbers, the team that can stop the Kats from this habit will surely deserve to win.

Problem Solver
12-05-2003, 10:18 AM
You know what Mr. Moon I was going to reply something ugly to bursting Kennedales bubble but nah thats o.k. I heard pre-sale tickets are only $5 dollars come watch Kennedale from the stands and wear your green but instead of IP being on the shirt it needs to be KHS.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS OF A ROWDY CROWD!

FTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFTHFT
"FTH"

Eradicator
12-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Ya'll all need to shut up and just watch the game. Stats are stats and every week is different. Maybe one defense is better than the other...WHO CARES? THe only thing that matters in the end is what the scoreboard reads. Kennedale beat a good Merkel team. Everyone who will see what happens tomorrow night. From what I see this was the first time Kennedale's oline has gotten any credit. Maybe they deserved it, maybe they didn't. But if they don't block tomorrow I'm sure it will be the last.

P.S. Bring a sweater, it gets cold in the stands.

this is the way we ball
12-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Eradicator:
Ya'll all need to shut up and just watch the game. Stats are stats and every week is different. Maybe one defense is better than the other...WHO CARES? THe only thing that matters in the end is what the scoreboard reads. Kennedale beat a good Merkel team. Everyone who will see what happens tomorrow night. From what I see this was the first time Kennedale's oline has gotten any credit. Maybe they deserved it, maybe they didn't. But if they don't block tomorrow I'm sure it will be the last.

P.S. Bring a sweater, it gets cold in the stands.Shut up Eradicator! Go LADA!

this is the way we ball
12-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Hey Eradicator don't forget D is waiting for you.

Eradicator
12-05-2003, 12:00 PM
this is the way we ball:
Hey Eradicator don't forget D is waiting for you.Fags like you need to stay off the Downlow. I thought your team was already told that, BOY.

Eradicator
12-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Eradicator:

this is the way we ball:
Hey Eradicator don't forget D is waiting for you.Fags like you need to stay off the Downlow. I thought your team was already told that, BOY.This is the way we suck balls, check your PM

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Vernon's Offense Not Bad Either:

http://mas.scripps.com/TRN/2003/11/06/VernonBacks_e.jpg

Vernon Lion running backs Antonio Shelton, Anthony Hall and Eric Favors give head coach Keith Hall and offensive coach Mark Bateman lots of options.

Varied Vernon ground game yields results
By Stephen C. Smith Sr., Times Record News
November 6, 2003

When the Vernon Lions line up on offense, there's nothing mysterious and nothing complex. It's all physical.

The Lions and their bevy of running backs, along with a quick, bruising offensive line, are the epitome of smash mouth football.

"We've got a great group of hard-nosed runners who like to run the ball north and south," Vernon head coach Keith Hall said. "The four of them are kind of alike in their ability to hit the holes.

"They give us a lot of different dimensions."

Vernon attacks enemy defenses in either the Wing-T or Wishbone formations and usually feature senior Antonio Shelton at fullback with juniors Anthony Hall and Eric Favors flanked behind him.

Senior Dupree Wesley, who is usually employed as a scat back, provides a change of pace.

"The most frustrating thing for a defense is to have an offense move the ball against them by just pounding it at them," Hall said. "After I got the job here and looked at our kids, I thought we had the type of kids to be able to run the ball this way."

Vernon's ground attack is made even more dangerous not only by its versatility, but also by its balance.

Shelton and Hall each entered last week's game at Iowa Park with 64 carries on the season and by the end of the night Shelton had 23 more carries while had Hall 21.

"We just want to win," Shelton said. "Usually, we get equal carries. But we don't care who gets the ball, (we want to do) whatever gets the job done."

In the Lions' 34-33 overtime win over the District 5-3A rival Hawks, Vernon came out and ran the ball a season-high 59 times and topped the 300-yard mark in team rushing for the third time this season.

Behind the blocking of tackles Dustin Swatzel, John Martinez and Fernando Rivas, guards Chase Craighead and Seth Beam, center David Montelongo and tight end Nick Lee, the Lions' ground game roars.

"They all compliment each other well," Hall said. "They're really quicker than they are big and everyone does a good job opening up seams for our backs to run through."

Hall's formula for success is to have two 100-yard rushers and have the other two backs combine for at least 100 more yards on the ground.

The formula almost worked to perfection in Iowa Park as Hall had 133 yards, Shelton 131 while Favors, Wesley and quarterback Trey Schur combined for 80 more.

"We don't back down," Favors commented. "We always finish a run, lower our heads and try to get more.

"The backs we have, we're unselfish. If one is getting more carries than the other, we just do whatever we can to help the team, whether it be blocking or running."

With 365 yards on the ground against Hirschi, 344 at Iowa Park and 321 versus Burkburnett, the Lions picked up three wins and scored an average of 33.6 points per game.

"We never give up," Shelton said. "We can be down 100 to nothing and we'll still play our hearts out."